Gay players coming out

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diamond Dagger

As most here are loyal Daggers fans, question would it make any difference if any player or players of the current squad came out as being gay. For me personally it would not matter, it is all about the team playing to their best.
Dagger83

Depends when it happens. If they're through one on one with the keeper and then decide it's time to "come out", I'd be pretty pissed.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Auntie Merge

I don't really see what difference it makes .

People's sexuality is no ones business but their own. No one should be treated any differently to anyone else, in the same way you wouldn't discriminate on race, religion etc.

It's quite funny that someone messaged me yesterday, after I'd posted about an LGBT flag, asking me if I was outing myself! Nobody's business but my own.
Diamond Dagger

Auntie Merge wrote:I don't really see what difference it makes .

People's sexuality is no ones business but their own. No one should be treated any differently to anyone else, in the same way you wouldn't discriminate on race, religion etc.

It's quite funny that someone messaged me yesterday, after I'd posted about an LGBT flag, asking me if I was outing myself! Nobody's business but my own.
A bit sad too of how ignorant people can be, sadly it is mainly around football.
admin
Site Admin

Don't care one way or another. None of my business who people sleep or are attracted to. Wouldn't care if our team was straight or if the whole team were gay or somewhere in between. It's up to them what they do in their personal lives
durnzo

This is one thing that gets my goat. It's more of a media issue than a fans one. I, and what I believe would be 99.999999999 per cent of football fans, couldn't care less if someone is gay. Makes no difference to my life, good luck to them.

Whenever the issue comes up the media say why aren't football fans capable of accepting it? The fact is we've never had the chance. And that's also why no footballer has come out as they believe what the media is saying. I find the whole thing tedious. If only one footballer would just come out they'd realise that no one really cares, the world has kept turning and the unbearable back lash predicted by the media hasn't materialised, then anyone who is gay can say they are without having to worry and then we can all get on with our lives.
Mark

Don't know why anyone feels the need to come out publicly. As others have said it's their own business. I guess people have done it in the past as part of coming to terms with who they are in a world that treated them with some kind of phobia but don't think that's the case these days.
The Romford Dagger

durnzo wrote:This is one thing that gets my goat. It's more of a media issue than a fans one. I, and what I believe would be 99.999999999 per cent of football fans, couldn't care less if someone is gay. Makes no difference to my life, good luck to them.

Whenever the issue comes up the media say why aren't football fans capable of accepting it? The fact is we've never had the chance. And that's also why no footballer has come out as they believe what the media is saying. I find the whole thing tedious. If only one footballer would just come out they'd realise that no one really cares, the world has kept turning and the unbearable back lash predicted by the media hasn't materialised, then anyone who is gay can say they are without having to worry and then we can all get on with our lives.

According to a story I read a couple of weeks ago, a survey of football fans showed that 8% would stop watching their team if one of the players came out as gay.
Daggernewbie

The Romford Dagger wrote:
durnzo wrote:This is one thing that gets my goat. It's more of a media issue than a fans one. I, and what I believe would be 99.999999999 per cent of football fans, couldn't care less if someone is gay. Makes no difference to my life, good luck to them.

According to a story I read a couple of weeks ago, a survey of football fans showed that 8% would stop watching their team if one of the players came out as gay.
Unbelievable what has the person sexuality got to do with them playing football if you are a true supporter you`ll still support your team one way or another.
redboy

As someone rightly said, most of it is fuelled by the media. In this world of political correctness, it gives them something else to talk about. We have a long tradition of BEM players, so having a gay player wouldn't make any difference either. And let's be honest boys (sorry to alienate the girls), if one of our players scored the winning goal in the play-off final who was gay, wouldn't you still wanna give him a kiss (no tongues mind) in the bar after!
Auntie Merge

redboy wrote:As someone rightly said, most of it is fuelled by the media. In this world of political correctness, it gives them something else to talk about. We have a long tradition of BEM players, so having a gay player wouldn't make any difference either. And let's be honest boys (sorry to alienate the girls), if one of our players scored the winning goal in the play-off final who was gay, wouldn't you still wanna give him a kiss (no tongues mind) in the bar after!
As good old Barking lad Billy Bragg would say

'Just because you're gay, I won't turn you away, if you stick around I'msure we'"ll find some common ground'
https://youtu.be/liNnCKPeEv0
DevonDagger

The Romford Dagger wrote: According to a story I read a couple of weeks ago, a survey of football fans showed that 8% would stop watching their team if one of the players came out as gay.
Although I wholly agree that players shouldn't have to come out if they don't want to, it's seems clear they don't feel in a position to just be open about it (or 'get on with it' as some might put it).
The fact it's never occurred that a player has been seen on a night out with a same-sex partner suggests to me that they don't feel like they have the ability to be open about it. You know what the 'red top' newspapers are like (The Sun, Star etc.), if they spotted it, I expect we'd know about it (not that we should necessarily).

I saw a very large number of people on Facebook commenting on the referee who recently came out saying word to the effect of: "I'm so tired of hearing about it, let them do as they please off the field".
The issue is, firstly - evidently they don't do as they'd probably like based on reasons above. Secondly, whilst the individual giving that opinion that might feel like it themselves - clearly not everyone does, as demonstrated by Romford Dagger's find suggests.

I would support a player who comes out. I think inevitably it will happen and it'll probably be a carnival procession for the first few, but I think as most said here - it needn't be and eventually won't be.
ARNU

Can't see what the fuss is about, I spose if they start bumming during the match I'd think they were not ttotally committed to the cause. Probably would get a couple of subs on.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
durnzo

Well that means that 92% clearly couldn't care less. Quite right too. I really don't believe it's actually an issue to any right minded person.
durnzo

durnzo wrote:

Well that means that 92% clearly couldn't care less. Quite right too. I really don't believe it's actually an issue to any right minded person.
Also, of that 8%, I'd bet everything I own that if a gay player scored the winner against their rivals/in a cup final/to gain promotion they wouldn't give a flying one either. It just annoys me that football fans get called homophobes for not accepting gay players when we've never actually had the chance.