Flags

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Auntie Merge

With what is going on in Charlottesville is it really appropriate to have the white supremacist flag at any games?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fi ... 3e7edfdb8e

Also, with what is going on in the rest of the world, has the North Korea Daggers flag had its day? The point was made, for a while the club felt like North Korea, but thankfully it doesn't feel too much like it any more.

In the current climate I'm not sure that either flags do our club or family friendly reputation any favours. I'm certainly starting to feel very uncomfortable when those flags are next to us as visiting supporters. Given the problems yesterday, couldn't the flags be seen as antagonistic and inviting trouble?
ARNU

The confederate flag has been somewhat hijacked by white supremacist movements like the kkk . It used to be known as the dixie flag and was flown by southern states in the USA as a sort of rebellious act and to denote southern heritage. Those old enough will remember it's harmlessness in the TV series the dukes of hazard. If you know anything about the American civil war then obviously it was the battle flag for the pro slavery confederacy. Quite why we have it at Dagenham matches I don't really know unless its owner has roots in Alabama. I can see why it is controversial but I'm not particularly arsed about it personally. I guess if people are offended it should go. I doubt the majority are aware of its significance.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
NBDag

Confederate flag probably wasn't the best idea looking back at it, even though I don't think it's itentions were anything close to what some people on Twitter are making it to be.
Think you're being a bit over sensitive with the North Korean Daggers flag though. I'm pretty sure no one with half a brain thinks that it is anyone doing anything other than having a joke to which there is no credible victim.
SUSSEX DAGGER

To be honest I am more interested in dealing with the behaviour of some of our away folllwing.

For the first time I am considering weather it is worth still going to away games as after watching the footage of the behaviour of some of our supporters yesterday really do wonder if I want to be associated with such People in any form
Diggerthedog

They are just flags, not sure how anyone can be offended by either. Lefty nonsense has now made the Confed flag racist. Won't be long before the St Georges flag follows the same route.
ARNU

I sort of agree with the " it's just a flag" view but you do have to consider its clearly racist overtone these days. Go wave it in Brixton or hackney see how you get on. It's not the swastika but would you be saying that's just a flag as well ? I hope and doubt it.
Dagenham92

The flags are the least of the worries at the moment. The North Korea or Confederate one. I don't know anyone offended by either.

The club should be focusing on the behaviour of some of our fans.
ARNU

To nobody in particular......Go to your workplace and drape the confederate flag round you. Take a pic wearing it and Stick it in your Facebook status so future employers can see you and make an assumption that probably in that circumstance would be more right than wrong. While you're at it list your favourite pastimes as chanting about paedophiles and spastics in your cv Don't forget to leave a clip of you singing at females " do you take it up the arse" Yeah thought not !!

It's my general opinion that otherwise normal sensible people have a capacity to be complete wankers at or around the subject of football.
Auntie Merge

Dagenham92 wrote:The flags are the least of the worries at the moment. The North Korea or Confederate one. I don't know anyone offended by either.

The club should be focusing on the behaviour of some of our fans.
If it makes you happy, I am offended, so now you know someone who is offended.
The problems are being discussed in another thread.

EDIT and don't you think some of the businesses that sponsor or are associated with the club might be offended too? And we all know how sponsors show their displeasure, they go elsewhere.
Dagenham92

Why would it make me happy that you are offended?

This offends me.
NBDag

Ultimately that flag is probably going to get caught on TV and get us some seriously bad press, be that for a legitimate reason or not. But also, maybe I'm stretching this out a bit, but could we not get done for it as it's a political symbol? If England are getting fined for wearing something as unpolitical as a poppy then something like that could get us into trouble much more easily.

Must admit I did find it funny when I first saw it last season, but after some thought I would agree that it would be in the best interests of the club to ban it.
Auntie Merge

Where m do you get the flags made? Maybe we should have some positive ones like an LBGT? Would add a whole new meaning to being Proud to be a Dagger!
Diggerthedog

NBDag wrote:Ultimately that flag is probably going to get caught on TV and get us some seriously bad press, be that for a legitimate reason or not. But also, maybe I'm stretching this out a bit, but could we not get done for it as it's a political symbol? If England are getting fined for wearing something as unpolitical as a poppy then something like that could get us into trouble much more easily.

Must admit I did find it funny when I first saw it last season, but after some thought I would agree that it would be in the best interests of the club to ban it.
Trumps Daggees flag is banned from home games.
Chigwellian

Auntie Merge wrote:Where m do you get the flags made? Maybe we should have some positive ones like an LBGT? Would add a whole new meaning to being Proud to be a Dagger!
Why? ... where is the promotion for a white straight man or woman. I'm sick to the back teeth of this political correct none sense.maybe you want a flag for gender neutral ... whatever that means
FullMetalDagger

You see the whole of history ever, that's the promotion for white and straight.