Mansfield.

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Dirty bastards aint they ?

Ref was actually useless.I don't normally dig at ref's as they usually make a genuine mistake every so often but this bloke Ward was a joke today.Shocking.

The tactics......more of the same aimless Johny Judas hoofball.Had nobody noticed Mansfield lined up with pretty much a whole team of 6ft plus monsters.We were never going to beat them in the air.What ya doin Wayne ?

Players.....Medy was quite rightly man of the match but I wouldn't have argued if it had been given to Abs.Nobody really stood out as poor today but if you pushed me to moan about anyone it would be Murphy again.He would not be in the Peterborough reserves playing like he has these last 2 games.Cant jump or head the ball and has clearly forgotten where the goal is.Very lethargic as well,like he cant be bothered.I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though as the hoofball tactics make him look like Tomlin did when he had to play the same aimless hoofball.If we aint going to play it to his feet then I cant see why we even start him.2 weeks running hoofball is clearly not his game.Dunno where our next win is coming from.Dissapointed again.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Daggers No 2 Fan

Burnett is a beginning to look as clueless as he did last season.
The subs today made no sense today at all. Putting a centre forward on wide while leaving a winger on the bench. Then gives the winger a few minutes.

For all the calls for Norris to start he didn't do very much other than a few speculative shots. Azeez is useless.
Still don't understand what you want from Murphy. He was denied by an excellent piece of goalkeeping, but again had very little service. He was never going to beat their centre halves in the air, and it isn't his fault he keeps getting balls at head height.
leewilson

We've lost our way at the minute. Burnett isn't clueless but he's struggling to find the right combinations at present. He doesn't know what his best team is either. Earlier on in the season our best team was obvious:

Lewington

Hoyte, Doe, Saah, Connors

Howell, Ogogo, Bingham

Elito, Murphy, Hines

Injuries to Bingham and Howell with the likes of Murphy/Hines dropping in form have derailed us a little. Wayne doesn't seem sure if 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 is the best way to go either. I'm actually not sure to be honest. If Murphy and Hines are on form, I'd say 4-3-3 is a given as them two provide the main threat with Bingham as the main creative force behind. With them two out of form though, 4-3-3 doesn't give us enough threat so I can see why he's brought Norris into the side but then with that you lose a key passer in the midfield and alot of responsibility goes on D'Ath who is a good passer but doesn't have the consistent vision of Bingham.

It's a tough one and providing we stay up, it's been a season of promise and one in which I think we can build upon in the summer. There is still a John Still element of this team which hopefully can be lost further in the summer with 2-3 more good purchases.
Richie

No matter what system/team is used there surely can't be a place for Azeez
Diggerthedog

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:Burnett is a beginning to look as clueless as he did last season.
The subs today made no sense today at all. Putting a centre forward on wide while leaving a winger on the bench. Then gives the winger a few minutes.

For all the calls for Norris to start he didn't do very much other than a few speculative shots. Azeez is useless.
Still don't understand what you want from Murphy. He was denied by an excellent piece of goalkeeping, but again had very little service. He was never going to beat their centre halves in the air, and it isn't his fault he keeps getting balls at head height.
Murphy had very little service? He had a hatrick of chances created in the second half alone should have scored at least one of them. He also miss controlled when in a great position first half. He was poor today, this is based on what we come to expect from him.
leewilson

Richie wrote:No matter what system/team is used there surely can't be a place for Azeez
I'll give Azeez one bit of credit. He does win the flick on most of the time. If we have to play him anywhere, I'd rather play him on the right as often our goal kicks are aimed out here. Really, a front 2 should be looking to play off of that flick.
Daggers No 2 Fan

Azeez hardly won any flicks. For a player of his size he is pretty poor in the air.
SUSSEX DAGGER

We knew what to expect and Mansfield did not disappoint.

Earlier in the week posting about our set up today I suggested Dickson. He did not disappoint either and played to his Level. Think we badly needed somebody of his statue from the start against what i knew was Rugby team.

At least we did not lie down and die like we did up there today. A moment of Hines magic may have slso helped open the door sadly he was left out for personel reasons.

Never thought we would lose it but last ten minutes got a bit nervous as it always looked a one goal game . Having said that if we had got our noses in front Mansfield would have had to come out and perhaps it would have been a diffrent story.

Once again we have failed to break down a team who's first priority was not to get beat. A common thread throughout this season and it is no surprise to me we have a above average record against teams who play with a bit more ambition.
Daggers No 2 Fan

Diggerthedog wrote:
Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:Burnett is a beginning to look as clueless as he did last season.

Murphy had very little service? He had a hatrick of chances created in the second half alone should have scored at least one of them. He also miss controlled when in a great position first half. He was poor today, this is based on what we come to expect from him.
3 chances over nearly 90 minutes is little service. There were a few occassions when he was ignored while in a good position while someone else took a speculative shot. That's also little service.
Of the chances he had, one was blocked by excellent goalkeeping, one was a sharp turn where he was a little unlucky to not hit the target.
He certainly doesn't deserve to be picked out over the pile of steaming turd that was Azeez. His effort straight at the keeper under no pressure from a defender was pathetic. His collapse when clean through was shocking.
Daggers No 2 Fan

leewilson wrote:There is still a John Still element of this team which hopefully can be lost further in the summer with 2-3 more good purchases.
Burnett's had a year to make his mark. Today's team included 6 players he signed, and 8 he didn't (but one of those was Shields who played all of once under Still).
Of the others, for me the worst for going long was Saah. Hoyte doesn't play the ball long. Femi doesn't tend to either. Ogogo and Howell were in midfield so can't really play long. Elito was apparently wasted under Still and would be much better under Burnett.

The reality is that we're trying to play more football but doing it badly because the players (and that's all of them) aren't really good enough to do it.
Mark

I think a few people are being a bit harsh here.

We played quite well today. We were comfortably the better side after the first 20 minutes, and played some nice football in patches. We had several good chances and if we take one we win the game. Games are often tight and if we score one of our chances then everybody goes home happy.

We can't pass it all the time particularly if you go 4-4-2 as you don't have the numbers in midfield. Putting Azeez on the right made little sense to me but bringing Dickson on did - when we have to go long, we go wide and he can win the ball in the air. From there you can get it down and play in their half.
ARNU

We had no width today and the game was crying out for a winger(Or Sheilds to be more exact).I'm a bit puzzled by Waynes substitutions most weeks.The Howell on for D'Ath substitution made no difference as both players are of the same ability so although nothing was really lost when that change was made nothing got any better.Dickson should have come on much earlier but for Murphy instead of Azeez.At least Azeez can head the ball and is more comfortable with Stilly-hoof-style than Rhys.Dickson also is more of a lump and that was obvious as soon as he came on.Mansfield are big dirty bastards though and I hope they go down.How did that monster they had up front go down so easily from tackles from Medy and D'ath I'll never know.Cheating dirty bastards!! That was their game plan from the outset and we didn't really have any reply to it.I think we'd have beat them if we'd have kept the ball on the floor,Murphy would have got in the game more and they'd have got a player or two sent off.Why did we have to hoof it ????
Last edited by ARNU on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

Thought we did ok today to be honest.. Should have won had numerous chances second half when it opened up quite a bit. Thought the tactics weren't as bad as some are saying. If we take 2/3 of those chances then it's "Brilliant performance!" I think we need to stick to a team for a couple of weeks. Preferably the team Lee said, that we played for much of the season early on, that's definitely our strongest team imo, just the other CM place with Ogogo & Bingham up for grabs.

Azeez is the only person I've seen actually able to time a jump and win a header, today and last week. His stick for the 2 times through on goal is deserved though.
Elito was rightly MOTM, he was the only player capable of running at the defence and creating chances. However I wouldn't have argued if Ogogo was MOTM, proper leader as always!
Still think Murphy needs a game off to rest, especially with 7 games left this month.
Really missed Hines though..
daggersjeff

Mark wrote:
We played quite well today. We were comfortably the better side after the first 20 minutes, and played some nice football in patches. We had several good chances and if we take one we win the game. Games are often tight and if we score one of our chances then everybody goes home happy.
Dunno which game you were at mate, both sides were appalling, with us edging the award for worst performance of the season. I take it Shields doesn't get too much time because of his international call up? Azeez is a total waste of space and it even looks like the fire in Femi's belly is down to embers. I've been a supporter of Wayne's since the interim role, but this is a repeat of last year around this time.

I thought we looked relegation fodder throughout the 90 minutes today, our cause not being helped by that little w%^&*r in black.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Whatever you say about Mansfield they came with a plan and they got a result. They are not trying to be something they are not. Dirty Sods yes, but nice guys are often losers.

Big game next week and one where we have a hell of a chance. We are going to play a team who are lacking in confidence. They will come at us thinking we are prime for a beating but they could soon become frustrated with an impatient crowd on their backs. My theory of doing better against teams trying to win rather then against teams trying not to lose will hopefully bring a much needed result,

Come on boys lift yourself you have not become a poor team just a bit timid.