Danny Green

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
TommyD&R

For anyone who's not on twitter, Danny Green says he wanted to come back but Dagenham weren't interested. I have a mate who's a Port Vale fan and he said he struggled a bit in the friendlies for them. I wouldn't have minded him back but a year and a bit is a long time out of the game.
admin
Site Admin

Why not get him involved on pre season friendlies as a trialist. See how he gets on. If he doesn't do that well, no harm done for us and him
TommyD&R

Vale didn't fancy him, I'm pretty sure he played for Luton again this week. But yeah I'm surprised we didn't at least let him train with us like we did with Southam and Griffiths
Dagger83

Danny Green really is a bit of an enigma. Of all the players we've had, I thought he'd do the best as he had all the attributes to be a very good winger. He blew hot and cold at times but I thought a few seasons of full-time football would sort that out. To even have him as an option for us in non-league surprises me.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
NBDag

Can't really complain about that. Hasn't exactly played loads since leaving us and we seem all set up top for now. I feel that sentiment has taken over a lot of fans with players like Danny. If Burnett signed a player with his record over the past 6 years he'd be labelled a journeyman/someone looking for an easy payday. Good move from Still, we've got enough in attack already.
leewilson

One day perhaps. It's not the right time.
Daggernewbie

NBDag wrote:Can't really complain about that. Hasn't exactly played loads since leaving us and we seem all set up top for now. I feel that sentiment has taken over a lot of fans with players like Danny. If Burnett signed a player with his record over the past 6 years he'd be labelled a journeyman/someone looking for an easy payday. Good move from Still, we've got enough in attack already.
I agree with you about sentiment why keep wanting to bring old players back we have to build for the future,I`m looking forward to this season with this new team John`s building.
A S dagger97

Daggernewbie wrote:
NBDag wrote:Can't really complain about that. Hasn't exactly played loads since leaving us and we seem all set up top for now. I feel that sentiment has taken over a lot of fans with players like Danny. If Burnett signed a player with his record over the past 6 years he'd be labelled a journeyman/someone looking for an easy payday. Good move from Still, we've got enough in attack already.
I agree with you about sentiment why keep wanting to bring old players back we have to build for the future,I`m looking forward to this season with this new team John`s building.
Just simply for the fact that we know that they can do the job, opposed to signing a youngster with less experience (assomblonga) or signing someone who is proven in this league e.g. Cheek but would probably want to be paid more than an ex dagger who would more likely take a pay cut to return to us.
"Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently"

Or in Dagenhams case, Terribly!
Daggernewbie

A S dagger97 wrote:
Daggernewbie wrote:
Just simply for the fact that we know that they can do the job, opposed to signing a youngster with less experience (assomblonga) or signing someone who is proven in this league e.g. Cheek but would probably want to be paid more than an ex dagger who would more likely take a pay cut to return to us.
A S Dagger you do know we signed Michael Cheek if that is who you mean. ( if I`m reading what you are saying right )
BarkingRambo

Feels a little sad that he has been told we aren't interested in him. Would have loved to have seen him back but we have already made a lot of attacking signings so probably the right move to not go for him.
Kevin

A S dagger97 wrote: Just simply for the fact that we know that they can do the job, opposed to signing a youngster with less experience (assomblonga) or signing someone who is proven in this league e.g. Cheek but would probably want to be paid more than an ex dagger who would more likely take a pay cut to return to us.
I really liked Danny Green - was one of my all-time favourites.

But...

- we wouldn't "know" they could do the job. We knew they used to be able to, several years ago - there would be no certainty at all that they would be able to do it again what with aging limbs, historic injuries, changes to their ambitions/motivations, etc.
- there would be no basis at all for thinking someone like Danny Green would "more likely take a pay cut to return to us". Why would he leave Port Vale & instantly want to be paid less than any other of our top earners?

As I mentioned above, Danny Green was mustard when he was with us back in the day. However, I can see why Stilly wouldn't think he'd be right for us at this point in time.

Wish him all the best for the future though :)
Alan

Perhaps most important thing is that John Still had him at Luton and has a more up to date view than any of us on Danny and whether he would fit in with his plans.
NBDag

In the seven seasons it's been since he's left us compared to the two seasons he spent at Dagenham, he has played 31 games more and scored 13 less goals. Including a total of 0 appearances last season. So we don't know that he'd do the job for us as he clearly hasn't been doing it elsewhere. Unless Vincelot or Gayle are looking for a new club in the 5th tier I don't think we should be looking at resigning any previous (full) players.
TommyD&R

NBDag wrote:In the seven seasons it's been since he's left us compared to the two seasons he spent at Dagenham, he has played 31 games more and scored 13 less goals. Including a total of 0 appearances last season. So we don't know that he'd do the job for us as he clearly hasn't been doing it elsewhere. Unless Vincelot or Gayle are looking for a new club in the 5th tier I don't think we should be looking at resigning any previous (full) players.
Not even Marvin Morgan?
A S dagger97

Daggernewbie wrote: A S Dagger you do know we signed Michael Cheek if that is who you mean. ( if I`m reading what you are saying right )
Yes don't worry I am defiantly not saying we shouldn't have signed him. I was saying that one benefit of signing someone who's played for us before is that he might have be happy to be paid less. I'm just giving a couple more reasons why ex players should at least be cohsidered.
"Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently"

Or in Dagenhams case, Terribly!