Should we be going for former daggers?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ayrisdagger

As we know, some brilliant former daggers have been released in the past few weeks. Should we go for any of them?

Here are the free agents to my knowledge:

Griffiths
Mackail-Smith
Green
Hemmings
Obileye (Transfer Listed)
Femi
Adrian

It doesn't matter if they're former players or not.
If they'd add something to the squad then they're worth having.
With some former players there's an advantage that they'd know how Still works.

Danny Green providing crosses for Hawkins could be interesting. Not sure what CMS would offer hat we haven't got.
Hemmings - no thanks.
SLDagger

It is tempting having all these players on frees and what not but let's not forget how well we did this season and where we could've been without injuries... I wouldn't expect a massive influx of players, except to fill in for JMD and donellan
NBDag

CMS maybe if Benson leaves as he didn't do too bad at Peterborough recently. Green has barely played a full season since leaving us so I wouldn't touch him. The rest are rejects from teams that we shouldn't be picking the scraps off of and Hemmings was never brilliant apart from one goal.

Where is the hunger we need in taking these players. Past is the past and all that.
DevonDagger

I'm not against it. It's pretty normal to look at ex-players, they're the names that stand out on retained lists since we know more about them than the rest.

I'd be interested to hear what those (if any) who are dead against signing former players think about having Doe and Benno for a second time. I think they've done well on their return with all circumstances considered. We should definitely get some new blood, but not all players who come back here are washed up, so why not if it suits all parties.

As for the list...

Griffiths - would look at
Mackail-Smith - pass
Green - pass
Hemmings - pass
Obileye (Transfer Listed) - pass
Femi - would look at
Daggernewbie

Personally I would forget about all our ex players, it`s best in my mind to bring in new blood as we have to build a team for the future.
BarkingRambo

Sign all of them no. Invite them all for trials and take it from there, yea. That is a good mix of left backs, left and right wingers, centre back and a striker. Still has form for signing ex players too, all the Daggers he took to Luton and now all the Luton players who are with us. It wouldn't surprise me at all if at least one of these ended up back in a Daggers shirt, even if it is just a pre season against Canvey.
daggersjeff

I'd definitely have a good look at CMS, Griffiths and Danny Green. Think Macca could still do the business in this league. Same with Scotty Griffiths.
I'd of had Danny Green back like a shot if it hadn't been for that horrific double leg break he suffered last year. For those with short or confused memories, this is Danny Green, not Danny J Green :lol:
But like to see Stilly run the rule over all of them

I'd take Obileye on a free, but any fee to Eastleigh would have to be minimal
Mark

It would be natural to go for players that the manager knows well as he won't get any surprises from their attitude or ability.

As has been said though we need to make sure they're good enough first.

Griffiths missing a whole season has to be a worry. Very odd as not long ago he was a regular in Conference and then L2.

Question about Green is whether he has recovered well. If he has then surely he is just what we need.
TommyD&R

ayrisdagger wrote:As we know, some brilliant former daggers have been released in the past few weeks. Should we go for any of them?

Here are the free agents to my knowledge:

Griffiths
Mackail-Smith
Green
Hemmings
Obileye (Transfer Listed)
Femi
Wonder how many will end up at Billericay
mickeyblue

but we finished 9th!
BarkingRambo

Zavon Hines can be added to the list, released by Southend. Probably the first of our old players I might immediately say no to, he is made of too fragile a glass for the conference.
TommyD&R

Shame about Hines. One of the most talented players we've ever had over here, but like you said, made of glass. Hope Danny Greens career doesn't go that way for him wherever he's off to next (Billericay)
Richie

If Green is back fit then surely we'd be interested. And with no facts to back this up, I think a broken bone is an easier/more simple recovery than a ligament or something.
Lcbdagger

If Green or anyone of that ilk goes to Billericay then the world of football is officially going mad... on the positive side, anyone heading there isn't anyone we require surely to head back up to League 2