New signings? Renewed contracts? Released list?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ayrisdagger

Who do you want us to sign, renew the contracts of next season and release?

I would like to see us re-sign Rhys Murphy as it clearly looks like he is surplus to requirements at FGR and I loved him when he was here. If benno retires, sign him up as a forward coach immediately, if not keep him on for another. He has clearly shown during the latter parts of the season, he can be called upon when required. If Brighton will allow us, another season long loan for JMD. Has built great relationships in this team, especially benno, and would like to see him take us up. This season ive been really impressed with a few players from this season that I would consider Dagenham worthy and one is Omari Sterling James. His pace and crossing ability is something I think we don't have strong depth in and feel like he would be a key addition a title challenging side. One player we have been heavily linked with is James Alabi. His physical presence and finishing ability is brilliant as well as adding more depth going forward. I cant express enough how much I want Widdowson and Boucaud to stay. Both been essential to our season and won over our hearts after giving them so much criticism after the 2015/16 relegation campaign. I'm sure most of you agree with this.

Agree? Disagree?
Opinions please...
The Romford Dagger

I know Alabi from his brief spell at Ipswich. Played one senior game (scored) in the league cup win at Doncaster.

Good finisher. Was smashing the goals in for our under 23s but never really given a chance.

Would do well for daggers in the conference I think
Leopardman

Widdowson, really? Definitely a weak link IMHO.
Diggerthedog

Anyone who JS wanted to keep was offered a new contract a few months back. The rest I believe will be released.
NBDag

Widdowson has played almost every minute in a top-5 finishing season. How can you play that much and have your contribution to our season deemed to be so insignificant? Not every player needs to have stand out moments to be effective and he has still racked up a few assists this season.
daggersjeff

Anyone have a list of the renewed contracts?
Mike the Dagger

daggersjeff wrote:Anyone have a list of the renewed contracts?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2004
BarkingRambo

Is Widdowson perfect no. Is he better than a lot of people we have had trying to fill a Scott Griffiths shaped hole at LB I would say so yes. Only guys that came close were Irish, who to me was a winger who could make a tackle rather than an out and out LB, and Femi who would be premiership one min and Ryman premier the next. Widdowson is alright for every match, makes mistakes but who doesnt, I would offer him a new deal.

We have got a good squad and I think we should keep as much of it together as possible for next years title challenge.
Richie

Some try to make Widdowson a scapegoat. Yesterday he was beaten by a winger for a goal, as was Williams. Yet Williams' hasn't been mentioned.
Diggerthedog

Richie wrote:Some try to make Widdowson a scapegoat. Yesterday he was beaten by a winger for a goal, as was Williams. Yet Williams' hasn't been mentioned.
Very true but at least Williams is decent going forward. Both crosses i remember by Widdowson went yesterday over the bar. He was here due to his contract, find it hard to believe he will be here next season.
nomis

http://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk ... -1-4880916

Think this was the latest deal for players contracts
Adrian

Richie wrote:Some try to make Widdowson a scapegoat. Yesterday he was beaten by a winger for a goal, as was Williams. Yet Williams' hasn't been mentioned.
Williams got beaten by a bit of trickery while also keeping an eye on a second player.
Widdowson got beaten by someone that fell over.

Widdowson makes the same mistakes over and over again. Tries to let balls run out when they're not going to, regularly heads the ball back into the middle of the pitch to an opponent.
His crossing is generally poor and watching him a Boucaud play "No, you cross it" with each other is Wful.

He isn't good enough either defensively or going forward. If he was particularly good at one of those then the other could be overlooked a bit, but he isn't.
ARNU

Widdowson is a workhorse,we don't have anyone better and he is unfairly dug out quite a bit. Renew his contract now and give him a rise.

If you are going to release players you have to ask yourself would they be in your 1st team or compete for a position ?

Sorry but we have squad members that you'd never pick if everyone fit.

Pennell,Guttridge,HowellS,Raymond,Romain,Ling,Shepherd..........BYEEEEEEE !!!! (Only Guttridge got some playing time yesterday it was all over by then.)

Benno probably got another season in him,possibly get rid of one of the keepers and replace with better.

On notice...I love Okenabiri but he's been poop lately,Hawks aint done anything for ages and Whitley was shite yesterday( I think he took a knock early on though) Too hot and cold for me a lot of them.Maybe that's what you get at this level.

We lack a striker or two,and I think we need real competition for places.Some players here get played cos their the best weve got not because theyre the best.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:Widdowson is a workhorse,we don't have anyone better and he is unfairly dug out quite a bit. Renew his contract now and give him a rise.
Joe has proved himself durable. About the only one not crocked at some part of the season. Adrian is probably right though, neither a good enough defender or going forward TBH if we can find a good replacement.
ARNU wrote:If you are going to release players you have to ask yourself would they be in your 1st team or compete for a position ?

Sorry but we have squad members that you'd never pick if everyone fit.

Pennell,Guttridge,HowellS,Raymond,Romain,Ling,Shepherd..........BYEEEEEEE !!!! (Only Guttridge got some playing time yesterday it was all over by then.)
Pennell showed enough in a full 90 after a whole season out to be retained.

Gutteridge can run a football match on his day, but that day is getting rarer. Possibly worth keeping if it isn't too expensive to do so, but like others not convinced he's a good influence on the team. John Still probably knows best on that TBH.

Raymond is a decent option in a couple of places so good squad pleyer to retain.

Jake Howells, not conviced so far, but again Stilly ovbviously rates him.

Romain, too early to say, lets see him play after a full pro pre season I suggest. So far he hasn't looked close to actually getting on the scoresheet so thin ice.

Jimmy Shepherd and Sam Ling are only 20. Need to produce soon I suggest but a bit early to discard them.
ARNU wrote:Benno probably got another season in him,possibly get rid of one of the keepers and replace with better.
See now you are going sentimental all of a sudden. I love Benno, and would keep him forever probably, but is he heading into Cureton territory of the season too far? If the maths works and John thinks he can do it for longer I'd keep him.
ARNU wrote:On notice...I love Okenabiri but he's been poop lately,Hawks aint done anything for ages and Whitley was shite yesterday( I think he took a knock early on though) Too hot and cold for me a lot of them.Maybe that's what you get at this level.
Okenabhirie and Whitely are carrying injuries/just back after a long lay off. Both have shown they are more than good enough to cope and we have to get them sorted and playing at full pace again.

Hawkins is a puzzle. Sometimes unplayable but too often static and slow. He's not a natural finisher either. Definitely gives us an option, but should observe Benno leading the line and try to learn.
ARNU wrote:We lack a striker or two,and I think we need real competition for places.Some players here get played cos their the best weve got not because theyre the best.
Pretty much everybody at this level lacks a striker or two TBH. Competition for places is always good, but we aren't made of money so too big a squad spreads the funds thinner.

Loaning in well helps, lets hope John can use his contacts again.
steeevooo

Jimmy Shepherd will do well to impress us with his performances for the Daggers any time soon given that he was released in March...
http://www.daggers.co.uk/news/article/2 ... 51510.aspx