Sutton United visit on Bank Holiday

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diggerthedog

Forgot what it was like to draw a game, we should have won it comfortably but failed to deal with them going 3 up top start of the second half. We have also again failed to deal with a side the just lumps balls into our centre backs. We're such a small side and get bullied by these types of teams.

It could be a vital point but we certainly now need to win Saturday, lets not leave it until the Woking game.

A comment was made earlier about who would want to come watch Sutton players roll around, you have a point but it was a pretty decent game otherwise.

Boucard was decent today and started off many attacks but he is a marmite player some people will either like him or hate him, bet he is in the top 3 for player of the year though.
ARNU

It ain't pretty but the time wasting and stalling by Sutton is an age old method and tactic to break up the play and frustrate an opponent. Quite why we'd moan like babies about it I don't know. We'd do it wouldn't we. The only thing you can do is score and we didn't so well done Sutton I'm afraid.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
DI Mike Dashwood

As Adrian said, if Staunton had scored or laid that on to someone else to score we would have got 5 or 6. He didn't and we didn't, life goes on. Fine lines and all that.

I thought first half we played well, second we struggled a little and lost our shape. Robson and Bouchard were very good in first half, second half they lost out in the middle and our shape went with it. People talking about lack of effort from Benno and Whitley are surely being a bit harsh?? Benno is 37 and is being asked to suddenly play 90 after 90 having not played all year, and Whiteley is a young lad in his first full season at this level, so again is probably feeling a bit fatigued to??

Unless there is a real disaster we will probably end up 4th and have FGR and with 5 days till next week and then 7 till the week after (by which time we may already have 4th wrapped up) we are still in good shape.

With regards to time wasting and play acting putting people off I thought it was worst I have seen at this level, but Premier League grounds sell out week after week so not sure this has anything to do with whether crowds will go up or down??
Diggerthedog

Whiteley is also playing with double hernia.
Dagdale

Talk about a tale of two halves, 1st half Sutton were all over the place and JMD had them at all angles and they completely looked disheveled and still on the bus, remember Benno winning it from what looked an easy clearance from their centre back just outside the box, we took our goals splendidly and should easily have had two more, don't Corey bend that ball superbly, but what an experienced manager Doswell must be, cause he counter acted it all 2nd half certainly helped by bringing that sub on and certainly helped by Dags losing their concentration and way, one minute we almost scored a third and seconds later when they scored knew its a job on our hands and what five minutes later it bloody well was! Sure Daggers will still do it but boy don't it get frustrating.
Richie

Staunton isn't good enough IMO. Too small for CB and not convincing at RB. Agree on the Boucard posts, he has been good this season, but not today. JMD was awesome first half and would have been MOM for me.

Justham is the weakest link in the fully fit starting XI, but I don't think he can be blamed for the first goal, second I'd need to see again. That bobble was just a freak event.
Amber

You can see the goals again here.

https://youtu.be/bo_ClL-d4jQ
Adrian

Looking at the highlights, Robson has filled in for Staunton at the back for the first and they swap over as the ball is played forward. Part of the problem is that Widdowson manages to get deeper than everyone else and plays the scorer onside, and then theshot takes a ridiculous bobble. Nothing Justham could do.

For the second goal, it's not in a place that Justham is likely to claim it. It's Widdowson's man that completely out muscles him.
mickeyblue

the biggest problem was staunton bombin forward at 2-0 up, complete madness and i bet stilly had a few words about that. a few have said robson covered him which he didnt but then who covers robson, its madness at 2-0 centre halfs defend thats it.

boucard was best player on pitch by far and deservered MOM imo.
whitely hit post twice and gets a question mark by some.

widdowson getting dug out constantly aswell is becoming tiresome, we will make playoffs this season just enjioy it its not that hard.
but we finished 9th!
stanton101

For me Widdowson's been quite a steady performer this season, nothing spectacular but just gets on with the job. Considering he's played virtually every game this season, I think he's done quite well.
daggersjeff

A couple of observations, particularly re their 2nd goal

One of the reasons you have a man on the post at corners, is to cover balls out of the keepers reach; that said, I feel El should have gone for it anyway, instead of them leaving it to each other.

Also, at set pieces, you need your biggest and strongest players in the mix; for me, Donnellan should have been in the target area rather than guarding empty grass!

Not criticism, just observations