Bury road roof.

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
admin
Site Admin

Adrian wrote:Does putting a roof there:
1) increase revenue;
2) make us a better team on the pitch;
3) need to be done due to ground regulations, or safety issues?

I reckon the answer to all 3 of those is no, so there are probably better ways to spend the money.
But if Glyn Hopkin wants to chuck some of his own money at it, then so be it.

The idea that it will improve atmosphere or become our end is strange though.
The same was said about making the TBS available to home supporters. That didn't seem to make any difference.

Most people that stand in the Sieve do so because it's their preferred viewing place and they don't want to be behind the goal.
On your last point about it improving the atmosphere. Sadly I can see your point. The ground can be as good or bad as you like you need the fans to do it. Unfortunately there's only up to around 50 fans who wanted to chant at games, they are all trying as hard as they can and all credit to them, but the lack of numbers make it hard to do. Therefore I think your right it won't make much difference
Daggernewbie

Adrian you made some good points. Personally I like standing in the sieve but if there is to be a new stand with a bar I will be taking in a half time pint.
Glyn seems to want to get the club up and running so we all benefit one way or another.
Adrian

lupins wrote:If this proposal is going to happen then it has to be a good thing and I would say

1 Absolutely would increase as to how much hard to quantify
2 Arguably yes would tighten up the ground possibly generate a better atmosphere
3 Doesn't need to be most likely would it be an improvement then yes totally
1: How?
2: I asked if it would make us a better team on the pitch. Neither of your points support that.
3: So you agree that the answer to the question asked is no then?
lupins

1 As it wouldn't turn people away safe to assume it may attract more by better facilities
2 A better atmosphere general surroundings may generate more of a home advantage
3 As you are being pedantic I will equally be and say yes it would be required to achieve our future aspirations of Premier League football
Sam_DRFC

It would definitely improve the atmosphere. There's plenty of fans the terraces that would sing along with the TBS lot (including myself) but obviously can't. When we play local away games the noise is always good (Bromley, Braintree etc)

A better atmosphere would entice a younger crowd - youngsters love chanting at a match. I started going in 2003 purely because of the good atmosphere and banter in the sieve (especially with the drum/trumpet). If the noise levels were like they are now i might not have bothered.

Build a roof, get all the fans together in one group, make some noise and attract new fans.
Adrian

lupins wrote:1 As it wouldn't turn people away safe to assume it may attract more by better facilities
2 A better atmosphere general surroundings may generate more of a home advantage
3 As you are being pedantic I will equally be and say yes it would be required to achieve our future aspirations of Premier League football
1 People don't watch football based on whether or not there is a roof. There's plenty of cover available already.
2 "May" says it all
3 I wasn't being pedantic. I asked a question and you answered a completely different one.
Your attempt at being pedantic is also flawed. A roof wouldn't be required for Premier League football, a seated stand would be.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Arnu the Man of Vision .

They laughed at you mate when you said the TBS should be exclusive for Daggers fans.
Next week that is exactly what is happening.

They laughed and scorned at you when you have suggested that a roof on the Bury Road End would be an asset.

Did you not apply for the recent Commercial Management appointment.

Always thought it was planning issues and the effect it would have on Neighbours was the stumbling block. Don't claim to be a building expert but would not have thought converting what's there will be the biggest waste of money

Anyway Arun Your work here appears to be nearly done ha ha
NBDag

Sponsorship and a bar would bring in additional revenue. Whether it pays off the new stand in a reasonable amount of time is a different question. However, I doubt Hopkin is a muppet and will put money into a vanity project that won't pay itself off. He would have had the appropriate forecasts made of the predicted revenues from it to see if it's worthwhile or not. Maybe this forum next week isn't a bad idea then and people can actually ask the reasoning behind the plans.
lupins

1 People don't watch football based on whether or not there is a roof. There's plenty of cover available already.
2 "May" says it all
3 I wasn't being pedantic. I asked a question and you answered a completely different one.
Your attempt at being pedantic is also flawed. A roof wouldn't be required for Premier League football, a seated stand would be.

I admire your persistence Adrian

1 So you don't think better facilities attract more people, really ?
2 Yes it may it certainly wouldn't be detrimental
3 Exactly my point we just put in the seats when we get there
daggersjeff

As long as its terraced I'd be happy to stand there.

The TBS will never be a home end due to its high capacity...Bury Road would be a good size.
Alan

The point is do we need to spend money on it? Another is would we get planning permission for a stand that holds 1800 right by those houses? Bear in mind the TBS holds 1200, that would be a large stand.
Diggerthedog

Alan wrote:The point is do we need to spend money on it? Another is would we get planning permission for a stand that holds 1800 right by those houses? Bear in mind the TBS holds 1200, that would be a large stand.
It would be no higher than that police box, also you can go further forward with it. You get more standing in a smaller space than seats.
ARNU

It will stop our ground looking like Dale farm when we go back up too. Look at them pikeys gillingham. I'd make it compulsory to have a roof in the 4 main divisions or you can't go up.
Just bang a roof on it, no need to add capacity. Bit of old corrugated iron, I'll send the boys round to fit it. You'd think traditional builders or Chigwell construction would build it for nothing.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Alan

ARNU wrote:It will stop our ground looking like Dale farm when we go back up too. Look at them pikeys gillingham. I'd make it compulsory to have a roof in the 4 main divisions or you can't go up.
Just bang a roof on it, no need to add capacity. Bit of old corrugated iron, I'll send the boys round to fit it. You'd think traditional builders or Chigwell construction would build it for nothing.
Don't forget the bar needs to go somewhere. And the asbestos filled supporters club shop.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Stick a,few,if them horrendous solar panels,on the,top and,in this green world we live in Planning permissin would be a breeze and it would the pay for itself over a thousound years