Aldershot today how will we play ?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Dagdale

McClure making it 3-1 now
daggersjeff

3-1 injury time
dagger4eva

Waste of a ******** evening tbh.

Other than a 15 min spell in the 2nd half we were well and truly outmuscled & outplayed. Aldershot looked very handy, were clearly oozing with confidence and have to be in with a great shout of making the playoffs.

As for us... pfttttttt
SUSSEX DAGGER

Clueless for most of it has it turned out.

Yes there was excuses . You cant play a good team like that without a Midfield , you cant knock their effort but we were simply over ran with what we had in there tonight.

As for the two full backs , oh my days.

One could not tackle after two horrendous challenges and a final warning from the Referee. The other one simply does not know how to tackle and must be up there with Batt and Ifill .

Unless we can get a couple of the Midfielders back we are going nowhere. If we lose on Saturday that will mean that York who are third bottom tonight
would have lost only one more game then us . There are some facts you just cant hide from
DevonDagger

Just got back from a very windy and wet drive down the A303. Weather matching my current mood.

I thought Aldershot were made to look better than they are. Only one of their players who stood out as genunity quality to me which was their left winger, who absolutely destroyed Sheps in the first half.
We conceded two goals to two players who couldn't get in our starting XI when they were with us - McClure couldn't get regular starts in our eventually relegated squad... We really weren't against players better than ours here, but I'm sure we all know that.

One thing I did realise today as I know he's been getting a bit of stick lately, is that Hawkins had absolutely no service for the majority today. I can't say how it's been for recent games, but for the first half I'm not actually sure he was able to get more than half a dozen touches on the ball, whilst being man-marked by two defenders for the majority. During his 25 minutes in the second half when he did get his head to the ball a few times - rarely was there anyone within 5 yards looking to run onto it.

Is it perhaps times we start with both Hawkins (or Benson) with Romain? He looked far more useful with some support around him. And what exactly did playing a defender in midfield to cover really get us?

Whilst the downturn in form is very worrying and disappointing as we definitely have a capable squad, even if the two teams below us with several games in hand won them all (they won't), we'll still be 5th and clinging onto a playoff spot. We still have a game in hand over Gateshead and Aldershot. It's not too late, even if we lose to York it can still be done - however I think for mentality sake, it's probably must win.
DaggerJoel11

The thing is with our team, we're so fragile. XI to XI we can top any team but when one or two players go injured or are bang out of form we struggle.

But yesterday, that was shocking. Tue first half was probably the most one sided I've ever seen and it might be been 3-0 if the disallowed goal stood, which it might have because I'm adamant it deflected off a Daggers player.

Second half was an improvement and when we got a goal i thought the comeback was on but we deserved nothing. When Fejiri went off our chances were gone, and that may be a long term one too by the look of it. Then McClure seals it with what in truth was a fantastic finish.

I don't have a problem with the result. Infact, I'm delighted we managed to retain any sort of respect because it could've been seven or eight. What I have a problem is the lack of effort. Aldershot looked sharper from the offset while we were making shocking passes and not closing down. We made it easy for them. Defensively we were just terrible and honestly our play off place is in real jeopardy.

Make no mistake, Aldershot were a brilliant side but when we did finally put pressure on we forced them into mistakes. But ultimately, it was brutal and we got outclassed from the first whistle. Looks like the amount of games we've had is catching up on the young squad.

Onto York now and it's the completely wrong time to play them.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Alan

We played a Robson in midfield because we don't have enough midfielders (who are fit to start) in midfield with Boucaud on international duty, Robinson and Guttridge injured and Howell not fit to start.

So we were playing a centre half and our 5th choice central midfielder in the middle of the park. Let's face it, conference level centre halves aren't generally known for being able to slot in and play like a natural midfielder - you might get away with it once or twice, but away to a team pushing for the playoffs you probably won't and we didn't..
Diggerthedog

Both of the last two games we have been up against it de to the wrong formation. Hawkins has had no support in either game. Moan at the lad all you like but what can he actually do with the piss poor service he is currently getting.

It's time to play two up top and go for it not one up and hope it sticks.
SUSSEX DAGGER

When you have problems like we have at the moment then you need everybody to be on their A game and sadly we did not have one.

Yes it was a good finish by McGlueless for the third but all three last night must be amongst the worst we have conceded all season , how easy did he make room to get the shot away.

Looks like Feji is the latest on the treatment table even that was preventable, he was in space and he needed the ball on the floor to his feet we stick it in the air and he gets clattered . From that moment the game was up .

We looked tired last night and looked in need of fresh legs. Good to see Luke Howell second half but I was left with the impression that he is a long way from Match fitness.

Big game Saturday , need to win all these winnable home games and sneak an away win to get us over the line, then if we get all those injured Players back then I think we have a right chance in Play offs, getting there looks a big ask at the moment .

Oh the game in hand we have on those chasing us down, its Lincoln away in case that's been forgotten.
Daggernewbie

Diggerthedog wrote:Both of the last two games we have been up against it de to the wrong formation. Hawkins has had no support in either game. Moan at the lad all you like but what can he actually do with the piss poor service he is currently getting.

I agree with you I hate it when people slag Hawkins off but with no support what can he do. Need a stronger midfield too.
steeevooo

Let's be brutally honest - that last night was as bad as anything we saw under Burnett. We've had bad days at the office this season, but that must truly rank as one of the worst. Yes, there are excuses such as injuries and an absence of midfielders (it's okay, we'll sign yet more centre forwards though), but the performance last night was gutless, spineless and pathetic. I think that varying questions could be asked about every single player on the pitch in a Daggers shirt last night. You would have thought that beating Forest Green a couple of weeks ago would have given the squad a boost and a bit of confidence, but the two subsequent performances have been utterly abject.

Hey ho, onwards and upwards!
Mark

Hawks doesn't really move though or look for the ball in the channels. Not sure if he's told to stay central but we have very little outlet with him up there as he is so static. If the ball isn't within a few yards of him to head then it's coming straight back. With Benno off the bench recently we've looked better as he relieves pressure by looking for the ball in different areas.

Not a criticism necessarily just an observation of how it isn't really working at the moment.

It is also worrying how little support he gets yet the midfield is often overrun. The 3 attacking midfielders haven't done anywhere near enough lately, whichever of them have played. They rarely seem to beat anyone or get crosses in, and yet the opposition full backs often come forward unopposed. FGR was a welcome change but you'd have to say it's the exception rather than the rule, and we were helped that they looked more interested in pretty passing than actually putting any work in, giving our wide players plenty of room.
stanton101

Diggerthedog wrote:Both of the last two games we have been up against it de to the wrong formation. Hawkins has had no support in either game. Moan at the lad all you like but what can he actually do with the piss poor service he is currently getting.

Wrong formation? wonder who that's down to, no couldn't be, could it? :lol: