FGR Reaction

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
AVincelotFlyingLeap

I thought he didn't look fit. I reckon he's a bit knackered as well.
ARNU

I think Hawkins is likely at his level. This league is weak and his goal rate is good but if you consider the amount of chances he gets he also has a high rate of hitting row z. I'm not slagging him down, I'm glad he hasn't left us but these jokers who think he's a championship player are sadly wrong.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
DevonDagger

I think Hawkins is a decent player for this level, if we get promoted one way or another, I certainly would be looking to keep him on. I think we have to remember he's still only 24, time is on his side and whilst I agree with the majority he's not currently a Championship striker, I doubt the likes of Ipswich, Brighton etc thought this either - he has potential.

I had doubts last season, albeit mostly sub appearances. Lower league now or not, he's certainly stepped up. If he continues to improve at the current rate, there's no question he'll be a great talent. Give him a chance.

Part of me also wonders whether he needs some more support. Last season we had Cureton, Doidge and Hawkins. All of which were options when players aren't fit. Now we have Hawkins and an aged Benson. As per the previous mention of knocks, I wouldn't be afraid to suggest that he's been playing a lot of games when not 100% fit - but we don't really have the same standard of backup. That said, as Lee said, that might be getting addressed sooner rather than later.
The Romford Dagger

DevonDagger wrote:I think Hawkins is a decent player for this level, if we get promoted one way or another, I certainly would be looking to keep him on. I think we have to remember he's still only 24, time is on his side and whilst I agree with the majority he's not currently a Championship striker, I doubt the likes of Ipswich, Brighton etc thought this either - he has potential.

I had doubts last season, albeit mostly sub appearances. Lower league now or not, he's certainly stepped up. If he continues to improve at the current rate, there's no question he'll be a great talent. Give him a chance.

Part of me also wonders whether he needs some more support. Last season we had Cureton, Doidge and Hawkins. All of which were options when players aren't fit. Now we have Hawkins and an aged Benson. As per the previous mention of knocks, I wouldn't be afraid to suggest that he's been playing a lot of games when not 100% fit - but we don't really have the same standard of backup. That said, as Lee said, that might be getting addressed sooner rather than later.
I know as a fact Ipswich had a look

They obviously agreed he's not championship standard yet.

Anyone think he will be a late bloomer and kick on after this season to a higher level? Hopefully with Dagenham obviously
ARNU

At 16th Ipswich are barely championship standard.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
NickMurphy

I've always said that I view Hawkins as a similar sort of striker to Matt Smith of Fulham and Leeds fame (not a clue where he's at now), he's a good striker but is limited to a degree. I think the Championship would be his limit in the future, but would obviously love to see him kick on further if at all possible. He has been excellent for us this season.
stanton101

Unfortunately we don't have a back up to give him a rest. As much as I like Benno, that money would have been better spent on someone else who could play the full 90 minutes now and again. Benno's signing I'm afraid was an old pals act that has backfired horribly and helped no one, especially Hawkins.
Diggerthedog

The Romford Dagger wrote:
DevonDagger wrote:I think Hawkins is a decent player for this level, if we get promoted one way or another, I certainly would be looking to keep him on. I think we have to remember he's still only 24, time is on his side and whilst I agree with the majority he's not currently a Championship striker, I doubt the likes of Ipswich, Brighton etc thought this either - he has potential.

Anyone think he will be a late bloomer and kick on after this season to a higher level? Hopefully with Dagenham obviously
Ipswich made an offer of £60k it was rightly rejected. They wanted him but did not want to pay the going rate.

I think Hawkins is tired he has played the sole forward role all on his own the whole season. I think a few games rest once play offs are confirmed and he will be back to his best for the 3 play off games. He was given nothing my his team mates on Saturday and this look ineffective just like at Gateshead.

Signing Benson was the right thing to do he can still do a job and Hawkins will only learn off him. Joe White looks one for the future doing great on loan at Wealdstone.
Adrian

stanton101 wrote:Unfortunately we don't have a back up to give him a rest. As much as I like Benno, that money would have been better spent on someone else who could play the full 90 minutes now and again. Benno's signing I'm afraid was an old pals act that has backfired horribly and helped no one, especially Hawkins.
The big reason for bringing back Benno was that he could pass his experience on to the likes of Hawkins, Whitley etc.
It's not hard to see how that has helped Hawkins with the improvements in his whole game since last year.
stanton101

Adrian wrote:
stanton101 wrote:Unfortunately we don't have a back up to give him a rest. As much as I like Benno, that money would have been better spent on someone else who could play the full 90 minutes now and again. Benno's signing I'm afraid was an old pals act that has backfired horribly and helped no one, especially Hawkins.
The big reason for bringing back Benno was that he could pass his experience on to the likes of Hawkins, Whitley etc.
It's not hard to see how that has helped Hawkins with the improvements in his whole game since last year.
Yes I can see he's come on leaps and bounds.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Diggerthedog wrote:I think a few games rest once play offs are confirmed and he will be back to his best for the 3 play off games.
This is far too confident for my liking hahaha
Diggerthedog

stanton101 wrote:
Adrian wrote:
I agree. He has done very well for his first full season as a pro.
leewilson

stanton101 wrote:
Adrian wrote:
He has, well done!
The Romford Dagger

Diggerthedog wrote:
The Romford Dagger wrote:

Ipswich made an offer of £60k it was rightly rejected. They wanted him but did not want to pay the going rate.

I think Hawkins is tired he has played the sole forward role all on his own the whole season. I think a few games rest once play offs are confirmed and he will be back to his best for the 3 play off games. He was given nothing my his team mates on Saturday and this look ineffective just like at Gateshead.

Signing Benson was the right thing to do he can still do a job and Hawkins will only learn off him. Joe White looks one for the future doing great on loan at Wealdstone.
I'm pretty sure they didn't make an offer
Mikins

Having read through all this I largely agree, we didn't dominate the game and we sat too far back early on in the second half and invited their goal because everyone decided to play in our own box for twenty minutes.

That said once they equalised it gave us the kick up the arse we needed to push forwards.

Was a bit miffed at the substitution for Drew, if anything Okenabirhie looked absolutely shattered 70 minutes in, hence Boucard managing to get in the box ahead of him, Unfortunately we're back to our old line up of "no spare wingers" and Hawkins isnt going to do much regardless of how tired he is if we can't get the ball to him to begin with.

All in all good game, FGR didnt do themselves any favours with all the diving, especially that classically trained actor who was their 19, he spent more time screaming and falling to the deck than extras in the expendables.
Sorry about your damn luck!