Penalties again

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DevonDagger

Dagdale wrote:didn't we just know it wasn't going to be the same Guiseley we saw earlier in the season when we fairly beat them 2-0, how well they took their two goals and deservedly won
As far as I can see, only 2 Guiseley players involved in that 2-0 win for us earlier in the season started this game. So I guess that's a good start as to why it looked a different team - pretty much entirely new set of players since then - and it's seemingly working for them, after today they've won 4 of their last 6.

That being said, it's no excuse. This is still only Guiseley's second away win all season and despite our good run recently, based on comments here and commentaries I've listened to, this result has perhaps been coming at some point. We've been getting results when not playing very well on a number of occasions. It sounds like we could have repeated that again today, how different it could have been if we buried that penalty just before half time or if Ollie bagged one of his fairly decent chances.

Losing this game obviously isn't going to break our season aspirations alone, but with Lincoln playing Ferriby and Tranmere with a very winnable home game (Boreham Wood) on Tuesday - suddenly we could find ourselves getting left behind rather rapidly should we fail to win.
Diggerthedog

ARNU wrote:Almost twice our normal gate. 32 away supporters today so 2000+ daggers. I ain't got the energy to argue for ten pages about this. A significantly bigger crowd than we'll get on Tuesday at least. Must be our biggest gate this season and we ****** it up in front of them is my basic point.
2,000 when it was 50p and £2.50 is atrociius the local people don't deserve a professional football team. We need to stop these games as they serve no purpose.

As for the game we had chances to win even with 10 men for 80 minutes but just could not stick a chance away. Yet more injuries now and you can't blame the young lad making his debut not even trained with us yet.

Lincoln now need to lose two games and we also need to beat them up there, not happening. Wembley will do me.
DaggerJoel11

So yesterday was not only a huge commercial opportunity but a massive chance to gain ground on Lincoln and we managed to screw it up.

We've come from behind in the last 2 games so aside from a poor start I wasn't too worried but from the moment Whitely lost his mind it was all over. Honestly don't know what he was thinking but the bittersweet thing is he was moaning about not getting a pen, well he would've taken the pen and probably scored it. JMD has been amazing all season but hate the way he insists on taking pens, should've let Okenabirhie or even Hawkins (at least he pits it in the corners) have it. I knew he was going to miss and it was a shocking pen, great height and weight for the keeper. Even at 10 v 11 we drew with them but sadly poor decision making cost us badly.

Thought Guiseley were a better side than I expected but they were there for the taking. We had a few chances, especially Hawkins, but didn't deserve anything from the game. Also, when we're chasing the game and actually trying to get something, why take a midfielder (Grant) off for a defender (Doe)???

First time I've seen that Jake Howells and not really impressed. Let's face it if he got released from Eastleigh what is he gonna go with us? That bit at the end where he tried to turn defenders inside out because he apparantly doesn't have a right foot was shocking.

This defeat was coming for a while, performance wise we were bad against Southport and Chester and now really need to improve it for Tuesday.

In conclusion, we might as well have giftwrapped three points for Guiseley and with the tight margins in this league who knows how crucial that defeat could be come May.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
TomMc

DaggerJoel11 wrote: Also, when we're chasing the game and actually trying to get something, why take a midfielder (Grant) off for a defender (Doe)??
Grant had been pulled up for a number of infringements in the first half and had managed to get booked too, couldn't afford to go down to 9 in the second half so made sense to bring him off, looked liked he wasn't quite used to the pace of the football, but as others have said not really his fault, and as Donnellan was one of our better performers overall i think still was justified.

It's strange how the game looks different for people in different parts of the ground, I thought Boucard and Joe were two of our better performers. After the sending off we decided to go 4-3-2 rather than 4-4-1 so that Hawkins wasn't isolated, but it put a lot of pressure on Boucard to cover a lot of ground, which is hard to do for 75 mins, he was running on empty with 10 mins to go. Thought Widdowson did well, was in the right spot to intercept a number of times and seeing as though he had little protection in front of him I can't complain.

Shepard was targeted earlier on and as soon as they saw the weak spot they started to exploit it. He looks like he could do ok but he needs to work on his positioning first and foremost.

I think if I was Still and as soon as Corey was sent off I'd have pulled a couple of the boys over, told them that they were only going to get 60 mins today but for that 60 mins I want them to run themselves into the ground, then used the subs accordingly.

On another day Hawkins could've had a hat-trick, don't know how bad the knock was that he took in the first minute but it didn't look like he was completely comfortable competing for headers today.

Only other note - it did feel a little as though some supporters forgot we'd had someone sent off, a lot of questioning as to why we weren't chasing everything down at every moment, simple fact was they needed to conserve that energy and be a bit smarter about when to use it.
BillyC94

DaggerJoel11 wrote: . JMD has been amazing all season but hate the way he insists on taking pens, should've let Okenabirhie or even Hawkins (at least he pits it in the corners) have it. I knew he was going to miss and it was a shocking pen, great height and weight for the keeper. .
He "insists on taking pens", he missed one at the start of the season and hasn't stepped up again until yesterday? There's no getting away from it wasn't a great pen however with the recent penalty taker sent off and Hawks having missed the last two, it was quite brave for a young man like Jord to step up.

Know it wasn't your post Joel but the criticism from someone on here and on social media of Craig Robson is totally unjust as well. His "dithering on the ball" has been mistaken for composure in most parts and is certainly one of the more confident footballers on the ball in the team. Bad day at the office and of course, pay your money, have an opinion however this is a very good group of young players who need your support after a bad result like yesterday. Stick with them and get behind them on Tuesday.
It's a game of opinions. @BillyCove94
DaggerJoel11

I agree that Robson was decent yesterday and indeed has been all season. He got his head down and tried to look for options. Widdowson was also good but unfortunately Sheppard was let down by positioning and, in the first goal, their man easily glided past 2 defenders almost effortlessly.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Chigwellian

SteveW wrote:
Chigwellian wrote:What did Grant bring to the team ... is he even a footballer?
Why don't you just stop posting on the forum. You obviously don't actually watch matches, you just post to get a reaction (guilty as charged)..
Do yourself a favour and keep you inane nonsense to yourself.
Hahaha ... anger management for you!
Kevin

TomMc wrote:Shepard was targeted earlier on and as soon as they saw the weak spot they started to exploit it. He looks like he could do ok but he needs to work on his positioning first and foremost.
Looks like he could do with working on his general fitness as well.

"Running through cement" came to mind when watching him trying to keep pace with Guisely's winger yesterday.
stanton101

Kevin wrote:
TomMc wrote:Shepard was targeted earlier on and as soon as they saw the weak spot they started to exploit it. He looks like he could do ok but he needs to work on his positioning first and foremost.
Looks like he could do with working on his general fitness as well.

"Running through cement" came to mind when watching him trying to keep pace with Guisely's winger yesterday.
It don't help mate when he gives the winger 10 or 15 yard space to do practically what he wants. His positioning' awful
Alan

He did have a stinker yesterday.