I come with news

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DI Mike Dashwood

What people are forgetting though is that the lad has only been full time for a year, he is still learning and improving. That's not to say I think he will 100% make it but he will keep improving and being around better players as you go up levels improves things further.

You have to remember that if Ipswich pay say, £200k upfront with more to follow through milestones then it suits everyone. That money is peanuts to Ipswich but loads to us. He won't go to Ipswich as first choice but they will look to improve him and if they do then £200k will seem a snip for them

ARNU, don't you think it's shame clubs don't take on more non league and lower league players these days?? As a West Ham man you will remember one of their best ever players, Alan Devonshire, was signed from non league?? Likewise Stuart Pearce and Palace signed Ian Wright from a real low level?? Anyone can use exanples either way to suit their argument you see??
DI Mike Dashwood

Oh, and I seem to remember Leicester signing a bloke called Vardy after a couple of seasons in the Conference??
ARNU

I'm not against it at all Mike. I'm just pointing out it's a rare few that go all the way. I'm all for home grown players. Ollie to me is possibly another one of these great hopes we daggers think Man Utd are mad not to sign but generally there is a reason why. I'm sure he'll get a living at it , is he better than Benno in his prime ? Definitely no ! I thought Vardy played in lg2 for fleetwood,but I take the point.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
NBDag

Hawkins played crap last season because of the jump he made and as John Still said when he signed him, it'll take time to mould him into the team.

However saying that there is no way on earth that he is ready to play at Championship level. So if we get an offer of 100k plus, I'd like to think that given the impending Hopkin takeover, we could actually sign a quality striker with the money instead of balancing the books. Hopefully though that bid comes in at the end of the season, as I wouldn't want to see a working formula in attack being broken up when we are still fighting for something.
mickeyblue

for me any sale of whitely or hawkins needs tobe a loan back for a few months atleast.
watching benno struggle uptop wont be great for rest of season.
but we finished 9th!
The Romford Dagger

We've allowed our fourth choice striker (Luke Varney) to go today to Burton Albion so will be looking to sign two strikers instead of the presumed one.

As to someone who said we'd offer 200k up front plus add ons as its 'nothing to them', that's not necessarily the case. We've only spent about 2m in 5 years deposited selling players for about 18m in that time. We operate on the cheap generally so the Hawkins deal is possible but we won't be spending a lot on him if we do.

And i also think he won't be loaned back out this season as will be given a shot off the bench in games should he join as we are likely to mid table certainties tbh.

The fact Varney has left and not stayed for another 6-months (out decision apparently) means that the Hawkins deal is possibly more likely in my opinion.
Alan

I have to say I find the use of the pronoun "we" rather confusing - you're posting in a daggers forum with the name "The Romford Dagger"!
The Romford Dagger

Alan wrote:I have to say I find the use of the pronoun "we" rather confusing - you're posting in a daggers forum with the name "The Romford Dagger"!

Ah yes sorry about that

I did used to be a ST holder at Dagenham as they were my local club. And had an account on here because of that.

But now I'm at Ipswich home and away which was always the plan when I got older.

Apologies
Lcbdagger

Maybe i'm not being logical enough but I can't see how any move for our player at this point in THIS season, with the league table as it is, can go through without a Loan back until the Summer, unless the payment is way above the 60-100k people are mentioning for Hawkins. Given that we've previously said in interviews around our finances that this season is proverbial s**t or bust, losing someone like Hawkins or Whitely could easily be the difference between a move back to League 2 or a long future in this division (or lower) with a hugely reduced budget.
Diggerthedog

Lcbdagger wrote:Maybe i'm not being logical enough but I can't see how any move for our player at this point in THIS season, with the league table as it is, can go through without a Loan back until the Summer, unless the payment is way above the 60-100k people are mentioning for Hawkins. Given that we've previously said in interviews around our finances that this season is proverbial s**t or bust, losing someone like Hawkins or Whitely could easily be the difference between a move back to League 2 or a long future in this division (or lower) with a hugely reduced budget.
Great big massive whole in the finances is the reason anyone will be sold. Plus we dont hold payers back, try telling Hawkins he cant have a 5 x pay rise plus a silly signing on fee instead stay here for your pork scratchings mate.
lupins

True if only we could find someone willing and wanting to invest in the Club wouldn't that be a dream
I am sure everyone would throw out a welcome mat and say yes please. Oh yes it's that that's the dream
Diggerthedog

If only we could find investment from legit money and someone with morals.
SUSSEX DAGGER

think we will want more then the 60-100k being quoted

Not for a minute do I think he is worth it anyway.

Was he not our record signing with add ons to be paid if he did move on. ?

With Arnu on this nowhere near good enough for Championship and in all honesty is a average player in a
What is by and large a dreadfull league.

Only seen him a couple of time but the ace in the pack is Pennell, why else has a" The Family Club" stood by a convicted robber.
Mike the Dagger

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:think we will want more then the 60-100k being quoted

Not for a minute do I think he is worth it anyway.

Was he not our record signing with add ons to be paid if he did move on. ?

With Arnu on this nowhere near good enough for Championship and in all honesty is a average player in a
What is by and large a dreadfull league.

Only seen him a couple of time but the ace in the pack is Pennell, why else has a" The Family Club" stood by a convicted robber.
Interesting from Mr Negative there. Had Burnett signed him would he have been the boy wonder, proof of the managers genius, or would he have never got close with Burnett looking for some has been from League One looking to eek out a living for an extra season?

He's playing higher than he ever has before and is third top scorer in the division with 14 goals so far. He's big and strong, always a handful and is the focal point for the team going forward. Gets clobbered over and over and over but keeps on winning headers, flicking the ball into dangerous areas. Gutteridge's goal on Monday was put on a plate by Ollie for instance.

Agree he looked lost at times in League Two last season, but that was in a poor side, getting beaten with him having never played close to that level before. i reckon he'd cope fine now though with a season under his belt as a pro. Goalscorers are always more expensive than anyone else too. I hope he stays, but can see why someone would be ready to gamble on him although Ipswich is likely a step or two too far right now.

Why are we so quick to put our own down?