Another case of the grass not being greener ??

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

http://www.footballconference.co.uk/new ... s_id=11751

And whatever did happen to Sam Williams after turning down a new contract with us.... ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
ARNU

He (Spillane) was probably too busy doing step overs and being flash rather than getting on with it.

Yeah he was great for us in that season where we really were shit otherwise but I don't think he'd have got in our team now.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

I actually think he'd do ok in our team now. He clearly wasn't a hoof ball type of player
ARNU

matt_drfc wrote:I actually think he'd do ok in our team now. He clearly wasn't a hoof ball type of player
Yeah possibly but he was very flash and couldn't keep it simple.Southend were hardly ever a hoof team and he didn't last long there either did he ?
matt_drfc

I suppose, but he always looked like he could pick a pass, definitely over done it a lot, but I liked him while he was here
leewilson

matt_drfc wrote:I actually think he'd do ok in our team now. He clearly wasn't a hoof ball type of player
I'm with Arnu. He wouldn't get in ahead of Ogogo, D'Ath and Bingham. And he'd be 4th choice in the CB positions.

When he came in, he looked very good at CB but we had just been playing Femi and Walsh together at CB. At the time, I imagine he looked world class by comparison. He was found out at the beginning of last season when he was beaten easily in the air time and time again and looked weak in a 1v1 situation.
matt_drfc

Nah, I'm not saying he would get in our team, i'm just saying he'd be better suited to our team now than Still's team.
ARNU

leewilson wrote:
I'm with Arnu. He wouldn't get in ahead of Ogogo, D'Ath and Bingham. And he'd be 4th choice in the CB positions.

When he came in, he looked very good at CB but we had just been playing Femi and Walsh together at CB. At the time, I imagine he looked world class by comparison. He was found out at the beginning of last season when he was beaten easily in the air time and time again and looked weak in a 1v1 situation.
Really Femi and Walsh @CB ? How many games did that go on for ? Not how I remember it Lee although it probably happened at least the once.Thought it was Doe and Arber,then Arber plays while injured for a bit then Spillane cames in with Baudry to save the season.How many starts did Walsh make that season 3 maybe 4 at CB ?
leewilson

ARNU wrote:
leewilson wrote:

Really Femi and Walsh @CB ? How many games did that go on for ? Not how I remember it Lee although it probably happened at least the once.Thought it was Doe and Arber,then Arber plays while injured for a bit then Spillane cames in with Baudry to save the season.How many starts did Walsh make that season 3 maybe 4 at CB ?
Femi and Walsh definitely played together at home to Bath which was the game before Spillane arrived. Don't ask me why I remember that. Just one of them little things that stick with you. I remember walking out that day and saying to my friend that we'd go down if we keep playing Femi and Walsh together and low and behold, Spillane comes in for the next game. I'm sure that season we started off with just Arber, Doe and Walsh as CBs with Rose in as a RB who could play CB if needed. But it ended up with Still trying McCrory - Femi - Walsh - Ogogo as a backline for a game or two when Doe and Arber were out at the same time.

I've got a feeling though that Spillane ended up moving to RB for a while whilst Arber was out whilst Femi continued at CB with Doe?

But anyway, we chopped and changed so much, we never had a settled side that season. One week we were playing Ogogo at RB, then he went into midfield with Rose at RB, then the CBs were changing every 5 minutes and Femi/McCrory kept switching about.

It's a miracle we survived in truth. Bauldry was a huge, huge part of that. Thankfully Medy turned up towards the end of the season and even Dom Green had a few good showings. Josh Parker was alright whilst Scott and Woodall found a bit of form together. After that horrible home defeat to Northampton, we only lost 1 of our last 10. Pretty amazing when you think back.
Chigwellian

I thought we were gone after that Northampton defeat....
SUSSEX DAGGER

Doe was suspended after getting sent off. Arber was injured.

Femi played a few games at Centre back including both games against Bath,he fell over in the first game and gifted them the goal.

The most horrendous display tho had to be at Accrington we lost 3 nil and I recall Peter Gain absolutely losing it at the end.

There is no doubt he was very good first season ended up player of the year when he went into the centre of defence.

Remember Port Vale away that year both him and Bauldry were outstanding and he scored, we won 1 nil. Bauldry had to come off and was replaced by the blonde lad from Crawley,his name escapes me but the first thing he did was handle the ball to give away a penalty.

He was another who was a marmite player in my opinion

A lot of People felt that John Still departure was brought about by the departure of Gayle,i often wonder if his move had more to do with it.
Lets face it he was a good player at this level but when you cant even retain players like him then you do wonder if the Manager thought at that stage perhaps he had taken us as far as he could.
ARNU

I wasn't doubting you lee,it just came across that we had that line up for ages which now I understand wasn't what you meant.I do remember Walsh starting V Bath and maybe one or two other games at the back but my recollection of the time was that I wanted him up front.Based purely on he always looked a threat in his 10 minute cameos when he got up there.In fairness Josh,Woodall,Cunnington,the lanky bloke with the broken leg (Edmans?) and even my beloved Nursey all looked tired at the time.
HogansHeros

Sussex it was Charlie Wassemer from Crawley. My window cleaner's a Brentford fan and he can't understand why Brentford let Spillane go. Reckoned he could play anywhere.
Masked Man

Chigwellian wrote:I thought we were gone after that Northampton defeat....
I think most of us did if we are honest.