New Consortium

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
The Romford Dagger

diggerdagger1 wrote:Alan......how many more times I posted that incorrectly and how many times do you want me to apologise? Again I will ask how has a thread entitled new consortium ending with reference to a very distasteful post re Alzheimer's and how I voted ar an egm. Can we all get a grip please? Any views on how it had got to this?

But the point that MTD and Alan are making is that it wasn't a simple mistake.

I rarely post on here nowadays but even I saw in the days after the vote you saying you reluctantly voted Tamplin. Which is fine. Nobody is having a go at you for doing that.

But you can't just rewrite history. We all saw you post multiple times about being a reluctant Tamplin voter.
diggerdagger1

TRR......can only reiterate it was a genuine mistake. A genuine question and in an attempt to move on what's your views on the way forward and a possible new consortium?
IanC

Jesus ive read some garb on here down the years but children please! Who on earth started this nonsense?
Oh yeah.
diggerdagger1

Ian's......I could not agree more. Like you I care passionately about the daggers. This all started on the 10th post in this thread and posted by......Mike the dagger! Same question to you as the Romford dagger what's your views on the way forward and a possible new consortium
Alan

I'm not sure that I see much point in campaigning against a consortium that hasn't yet been constituted let alone put in a bid.
Mike the Dagger

diggerdagger1 wrote:Ian's......I could not agree more. Like you I care passionately about the daggers. This all started on the 10th post in this thread and posted by......Mike the dagger! Same question to you as the Romford dagger what's your views on the way forward and a possible new consortium
You need to take more careful notes sunshine. Ian's, TRR... sigh!

As per the Chairman's letter the club are looking to put together a new group to buy in. Until that group is announced as Alan says it is a bit premature to start arguing about who it consists of.

It is unlikely that anyone who is willing to put up actual money to invest in the club is anything but committed to the cause and I really don't understand what Chris Smythe has done to draw such criticism in particular. What about David Ward and John Still, also part of Tamplin's consortium? Glyn Hopkin seems to be the white knight at the moment too but he was also part of that for a while.

Tommo and Dave Bennett I sort of get as they have been a big part of the decline since Dave Andrews retired, but both have put a lot of time, and in Bennett's case, money in and don't really deserve the disrespect some people are showing them here.

Yeah I know, I'm in Dave Bennett's pocket. He'd be massively surprised to find that out BTW. I actually have a blue and white shirt with his companies name on it though.

It is one of these.... Image

So would you vote for, against or abstain if a consortium came up with Bennett and Thompson involved?

What would you say you had voted if challenged??
TomMc

Is this the room for an argument? ;)
The Romford Dagger

diggerdagger1 wrote:TRR......can only reiterate it was a genuine mistake. A genuine question and in an attempt to move on what's your views on the way forward and a possible new consortium?
I hope Thommo is far away from it.

I have no reason to object against it unless it
Involves the people who got us in this mess in the first place.

ATM, we have no idea who is involved in a possible bid so let's avoid pointless speculation until then? And Ffs no protests until after Christmas maybe. This is supposed to be a cheerful time and all that.
DI Mike Dashwood

It's interesting that people keep referring to this mess we are in, yet we are 6th in the Conference, and despite lots of rumours there is no concrete evidence yet that we are in any strife that can't be resolved. The first sign that a club is in real trouble is normally stories of players not having been paid, and I have not see any of that so far?? From what I can see, we need investment to compete at the top of the Conference, and if not we would have to reduce the expenses which would mean we may be further down the trouble. I would ask again, is that the end of the World??

It seems to me some people have got a bit greedy by us being in the League for 9 years, and the Club (rightly or wrongly depending on your outlook) wants to get in investment to meet those expectations by competing at the top of end of the Conference and trying to get back into the League. I think what people forget is that for Years the Club was a non league club which operated in the upper leagues of the non league game, as did all of it's forerunners. It's crowds, since the 70s (and the change from the old ametaur game) have been steady non league crowds. Due to the Club's location these crowds were always hard to grow (although more could be done there) and everyone was always happy plodding along as a non league club. I remember the joy in 2000 at Hampton when we were promoted back to the Conference from a lower level!!! Oh how things have changed.

I would also remind people once again of two things. Firstly, Steve Thompson was MD (or equivalent before the move to Limited Liability status) when this Club went from a mid table Conference Club to one playing in League One. The Club are no further back (and worse off than at some points) than they were back then. Secondly, some people on here quoting Dave Andrews as some kind of God have changed their tune to an extent. I have nothing against Mr Andrews, totally the opposite in fact, but I understand some people from the pre merger days thought he was the devil back in in the early 90s and now talk as though his departure is the reason for all our problems. It's funny how times change!!!

Thommo is not everyones cup of tea, and I have walked after many conversations with him shaking my head in dis-agreement, but to make out everything that has gone wrong is his fault while everything that ever went right is nothing to do with him is short sighted and unfair in my view. Thommo cares passionately about the Club and I for one think he deserves the chance to be involved in trying to rebuild things. As Rampant Duke has said in another post, I can't imagine a Conference Football Club within 25 miles of 10-15 Football League and Premier League Clubs is top of the list of dream destinations for many budding MDs out there!!!