Injuries

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Anyone can get injures.Some are more prone to it than others though.Okenbirie took a hideous tackle that would have put anyone out.Bingham would have been killed if it had been him.Wasnt even kevin maher crocked most of the time he was here ? Still has resigned Howell,great player but injury prone.He was out for months a few times before and has already been out injured this time round too.You might not like it but I have a point.Gutteridge's another.Even when hes fit,when he plays poorly he gets an injury excuse card.Josh Scott always injured, how many times did he even play for us in 4 years was it ? Did ol broken legs ever make a start for us ? How many of our injured players did stilly bring in ? Even burnett didn't blame injuries instead preferring to say the players were crap LOL!!
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
TomMc

ARNU wrote: You remember the season where we had your superhero Kevin Maher and how rubbish that was ?
Maher played 62 games in the two seasons before he signed for us, hardly an indication of an injury-prone player.
BarkingRambo

Didn't Maher fall over rabbit hole in his first training session and break something. As someone who wasn't the youngest player when we signed him it was always going to be a bit tough coming back from that.
ARNU

And the bloke with the broken leg Tom ? Having a broken leg is normally an indication of a player that won't be playing anytime soon. Probably played less than Mayer.
TomMc

ARNU wrote:And the bloke with the broken leg Tom ? Having a broken leg is normally an indication of a player that won't be playing anytime soon. Probably played less than Mayer.
With hindsight Edmans was a bad signing, I didn't query that signing with you as I kind of agree, however it could be said that:

- We signed him with a broken leg, therefore we obviously didn't expect him to play any time soon
- Broken legs tend to be impact injuries and aren't linked to existing chronic conditions (bar osteoporosis) that could restrict their playing time in the future. Of course it also depends on the severity of the break. My memory's failing me a bit but I'm sure it was stated at the time of signing him that the break was a straight-forward one.

At our level it's all about risk and reward. We calculated the risk with Edmans, decided it was worth a punt and it didn't quite work out how we'd hoped. We've taken risks on other players (not just injury prone but behavioural issues too) and it has worked out.

Edit - Just noticed you mention Josh Scott too. He played 57 times in two years before he signed for us, so not sure you can call him error prone either (obviously he became injury prone during our time with us).
ThatRoundThing

Apparently there is a deal ready for Zavon Hines at Southend United but are awaiting a 2nd opinion on his latest scans on his knee. They want the original surgeon who did the last op of 2 to take a look at his scans. Very sensible imo.
Diggerthedog

ThatRoundThing wrote:Apparently there is a deal ready for Zavon Hines at Southend United but are awaiting a 2nd opinion on his latest scans on his knee. They want the original surgeon who did the last op of 2 to take a look at his scans. Very sensible imo.
They must be desperate barely played for what over two years now?
ARNU

Well I thank you for a well thought out non abusive reply Tom.Some things aren't just bad luck or coincidence though. JS teams always have 5 or 6 key players injured by mid season. So if you excuse the signings as being unlucky surely it's the training regime then.
NBDag

ARNU wrote:Well I thank you for a well thought out non abusive reply Tom.Some things aren't just bad luck or coincidence though. JS teams always have 5 or 6 key players injured by mid season. So if you excuse the signings as being unlucky surely it's the training regime then.
I'd say this is more because he doesn't rotate the team and make substitutions throughout the match.
Diggerthedog

Might be that some of these players don't have what it takes to be full time Pro's. Edmans at first was unfit due to injury but then after that it was down to himself, heavy drinking and 20 fags a day don't help.
TomMc

ARNU wrote:So if you excuse the signings as being unlucky surely it's the training regime then.
It would depend on the kind of injuries being picked up. It's too simplistic to put all injuries down to a single reason. Playing/training surfaces, a player's diet (and whether they adhere to it), and training regime are all contributing factors to varying levels.
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:Well I thank you for a well thought out non abusive reply Tom.Some things aren't just bad luck or coincidence though. JS teams always have 5 or 6 key players injured by mid season. So if you excuse the signings as being unlucky surely it's the training regime then.
Not always. The season we won the Conference it was really because we didn't have any significant injuries, until jon Boardman did his ankle late in the season.

It's about juggling resources. We never have a squad of 22+ equally good players to select from. To put our "best" side out we have to push individuals to play a lot and that puts a strain on them.

Conference refereeing (as with Fejiri Okenabirhie's injury) doesn't help either. That challenge was scandalous it wasn't a straight red.
leewilson

Or the training ground? Haven't we trained for years over May and Baker which is an absolutely shit surface.
Adrian

Stills teams don't have 5 or 6 key players injured by mid season at all. You have a very short memory.

1992-93 - 13 players played more than 30 games, 11 of them playing more than 40
1993-94 - 9 more than 30 games, 8 of those playing more than 40. The combined total of two players, one leaving in January and his replacement was over 40 games as well.
2004-05 - 10 more than 30, 6 more than 40
2005-06 - 8 more than 30, 7 of those over 40.
2006-07 (won Conference) 10 over 30, 9 over 40. That's with Blackett and Mackail-Smith being sold in January - they'd have likely cleared 40 otherwise.
2007-08 - 12 over 30, 6 over 40
2008-09 - 13 over 30, 9 over 40
2009-10 - 9 over 30, 8 over 40
2010-11 - 9 over 30, 5 over 40
2011-12 - 9 over 30 (including Bingham), 5 over 40
2012-13 - 10 over 30, 7 over 40. Injury prone Luke Howell played 50 games.
2013-14 - (1st of Burnetts) - 11 over 30 - 8 of those Still players. Injury prone Luke Howell played 43 games

At least 5 players every season with over 40 appearances. Lowest season for over 30 appearances was 8 players in what was a bit of a transitional season. There's a few players with over 50 appearances in a season in there as well.
None of that happens with a manager that likes injury prone players.

In terms of having a lot of players out at the same time, this is by some way the worst I've seen.
Crushed Dreams

Howell also played over 40 in 2013/14 and over 30 in 2014/15.