Steve Thompson interview

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
durnzo

I thought it was a strange announcement to make, they must be reading the fans forums!!!

Let's just hope for the best and the enjoy the football (strange idea I know!!) Cos it could be the beginning of an exciting time for the club.
bearaab

I drunk in the clubhouse once. Had 2 beers and they were both awful. Never been back. It was the day we did the quid a ticket job against Me Dons so that was about 5 and a half years ago now, it was that bad I've never been back in there.
jag

I agree about the quality of the beer in the club house Since the club stopped using the Doonbar beer from Cornwall a couple of seasons ago all replacements have not come close, on a couple of occasions I have asked the bar staff to replace the beer for me which they have done without question, I must say though the recent addition of ale aptly named the Daggers is better and well worth a try if you are a ale drinker like me, I must say also that the Worthington is to gassy, A question for the bar staff, because of the period of time the beer sits in the barrel and due to a lower turnover between games could this make the beer taste below standards.
durnzo

Agree with the beer, It's vile. I would have a couple after but the grolsch is awful and the eastbrook does Stella so I head back there straight away.
Dagdale

Admit from the thread's heading were drifting away from it a bit but must comment as mentioned on the last posts about the quality of the beer. To me its the people that make the club how good it is, obviously as I'm a further a field ranger love the buzz in there on match days and the 'salt of the earth crowd', London has changed so much and at times It saddens me, alright most of us have a lot in common were mostly there enjoying a few jars and there for the daggers , I'm a lager drinker and I find it strange that I've mostly found the lager on the ground floor bar more enjoyable and better than upstairs. I wouldn't class it as awful though but certainly as an fairly experienced drinker of it certainly not so favorable.
ThatRoundThing

jag wrote:I agree about the quality of the beer in the club house Since the club stopped using the Doonbar beer from Cornwall a couple of seasons ago all replacements have not come close, on a couple of occasions I have asked the bar staff to replace the beer for me which they have done without question, I must say though the recent addition of ale aptly named the Daggers is better and well worth a try if you are a ale drinker like me, I must say also that the Worthington is to gassy, A question for the bar staff, because of the period of time the beer sits in the barrel and due to a lower turnover between games could this make the beer taste below standards.

Since my 1st posting on the topic of draught keg beer at daggers I have been doing some reading up on the subject of beer quality mainly using a website http://www.theinndoctor.co.uk

Assuming the cellar is at the right temperature, the gas canisters are of good quality and the beer lines are properly cleaned weekly then the problem probably lies with the beer going off in the keg. The website states that for dark beer, once introduced gas to the keg then about 4 days is about all you get before the beer deteriorates. So with the bars being almost empty most days and the number of days between Home fixtures or functions on a Saturday night then I assume that to avoid discarding the kegs (loss of profit) the bar is still trying to sell the beer.
Maybe those at the club that read this forum would like to investigate.
Voice of reason

Must admit I'm having a grim smile at this thread
An interview with the man driving forward an extremely risky change of ownership of the club has become a debate about the quality of beer in the clubhouse
Incredible
ThatRoundThing

Voice of reason wrote:Must admit I'm having a grim smile at this thread
An interview with the man driving forward an extremely risky change of ownership of the club has become a debate about the quality of beer in the clubhouse
Incredible
Difficult one this when a poster(diggerdagger1) on a thread mentions or asks the question regarding bar attendances as an inclusion in his reply post to Steve Thompson interview. Should we start a new thread? contact admin for advice, oh he mentioned beer in his reply post.

Oh, just have to let you keep your grim smile.
Voice of reason

I do like beer by the way
Just saying....
ThatRoundThing

In all seriousness, driving customers away with poor quality beer and hospitality food should not be happening to a club having to use outside investment and hand over ownership from members to a consortium in order to plug financial leaks. Keeping your existing customers should always be easier than attracting new ones.
From what I've seen from my away trips so far this season and for many clubs near our level in League Two the club really do need to up their game on the potential income that could be generated from the halls and bars at the club. Sutton United as an example have former footballer nights, tribute acts, sixties bands etc, pretty sure our club could generate income from that area.
steeevooo

Surely you're not suggesting that our commercial department (which would ordinarily look after non-football related activities) is woefully inept and been missing out on opportunities for years TRT? ;)
ARNU

Is this really the mentality ?

"I'm not going football cos the beer is shite"

First of all it's a sporting event not an alcoholics convention and tbh the beer is beer the taste of which is subjective. I drive to games so it's not part of my day out. The bar on mstchdays appears to be quite busy with all the same old faces so it can't be that bad. As with everything you can vote with your feet if it's no good.

The food at games is poor. You'd not think chips and burgers would require a Michelin star but where possible I eat before getting to the ground. I bought a filth burger at the aldershot game and it was as expected ****** horrible. Stale bun raw onions and manly cheese. This is where improvement is much needed.

It's my guess that complacency at the bar and in catering is the cause of this. Oh and why don't they wear hats when serving food. Basic food hygiene requirement.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Dagger83

ARNU wrote:Stale bun raw onions and manly cheese. This is where improvement is much needed.
I've been saying for years that we need to make our cheese a bit more effeminate but have they listened? Have they balls (pardon the pun).
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
ThatRoundThing

Very pleased with the footballing side of the club and all staff surrounding the team should be commended on the job being done this season. Hopefully if new faces are elected to the board it is an area that some of them could look at while we are producing the goods on the pitch.
No doubt many suggestions have been made over the years stevoo but seem to have fallen at the first hurdle.
Ideally a salaried person in the future should oversee the promotion of non football related activities but from my experience many bands and acts already have a following and still self promote their own gigs via social media and their own websites at various venues taking the larger chunk of door takings and getting the venue to profit also from bar takings. This still happens in a lot of theartres and clubs around the Essex/London area which include diverse genre of music including folk,rock, blues, jazz, rock n roll , comedy clubs car clubs, scooter clubs and so on.

If from simple beginnings if the venue began to thrive then the next step is... .An Evening with ( insert footballers, darts, snooker players name ) nights at which time hopefully the club can solely promote and reap the rewards.
Assuming a decent pint is being served.

Arnu , nobody has said people are not going to football cos beer/food is shite. As you mentioned you have a solution, vote with your feet and eat elsewhere. Many of us that do like to include a drink or three on match days and don't drive to the ground have noticed a drop in numbers in the bars of in the main draught beer drinkers, so have/are beginning to take our custom elsewhere for drink/food but it is badly needed cash that could be in our club tills.
As it's not part of your day out you obviously can't be subjective about how the beer tastes as I cannot about food inside the ground as I stopped eating there 18 months ago.
Agree with you though that (from what I've heard and read) the quality of food for the compulsive eaters is shite and quality of the draught beer for us alcoholics needs to be addressed along with food hygiene.
ARNU

I have drunk beer a few times at home games but as you rightly say it isn't a big part of my day usually. Yes if the beer / service/ food is shite then clearly these are opportunities missed.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !