Chants

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
JFJBENSTEAD

Another pleasing result yesterday. Looked decidedly ropey at 1-1 but turned and were comfortable, and deserved, winners.

My main gripe is with some of the songs those behind the goal were singing. Bragging about 'being a c***' and singing songs about peadophiles, for me, has no place at a family club.

Keep singing songs like that and we'll soon lose respect amongst friendly opposition fans (which is one of the more enjoyable aspects of Non League football) and will turn away some of our fans, particularly women and kids.
ARNU

Yes I agree. Im not easily shocked or in anyway a prude but same unemployable morons who thought it funny to sing about Hillsboro when we played Everton. Embarrassing!!
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
SUSSEX DAGGER

JFJBENSTEAD wrote:Another pleasing result yesterday. Looked decidedly ropey at 1-1 but turned and were comfortable, and deserved, winners.

My main gripe is with some of the songs those behind the goal were singing. Bragging about 'being a c***' and singing songs about peadophiles, for me, has no place at a family club.

Keep singing songs like that and we'll soon lose respect amongst friendly opposition fans (which is one of the more enjoyable aspects of Non League football) and will turn away some of our fans, particularly women and kids.
Second that . Obscene chants towards the Lady Steward were also disgracefull. No Person doing their job should be subjected to that , disgusting and the Perpetrators should be ashamed of themselves.
Woodford Dagger

The only noise being made yesterday was by those behind the goal and the majority of them were younger fans. This whole idea that it will drive away younger supporters is untrue tbh. Opposition fabs don't give a toss what we sing anyway the only way we'd harm our reputation is through actual trouble.
Woodford Dagger

*fans
Woodford Dagger

Also the stewards were very good yesterday and took it all in good humour, probably some of the best stewards I've seen to be fair.
durnzo

Gotta agree with Woodford dagger on this one. Singing about Hillsborough is wrong (although I'll admit to singing worse in my younger days) but singing about being a ***** or the seeing the female stewards on triple x mums is amusing to someone as immature as me and was taken in the good nature it was intended. I'm not going to have a go at youngsters being uncouth as that's what they tend to do.

Also agree that the stewarding was good, the fella who came over after the goals and said if you stay here the old bill will turf you and then happily hugged the enthusiastic daggers was exactly what a boisterous, but well meaning atmosphere needed. Just my opinion but, what do I know!!
Sam_DRFC

I thought our fans were great yesterday. There was a couple of silly chants but nothing worth getting upset about.

I wish the atmosphere and level of singing was as good at home games. That alone would bring in a younger crowd. Kids want noise and banter at football games, not silence.
ARNU

You sing about arse sex paedophiles and being a ***** in front of children and I'm the one with the problem. ? Get some manners is not an unreasonable request here. I'd ban ya !
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
rechitski kinzhal

Whether Woodford and Durnzo think it acceptable is not the point. Of course we don't know what the Bromley fans thought but we do know that Benstead, Arnu, Sussex, and you can add me the list of people who most certainly were offended (..... and those of us unhappy are certainly not "church mice").
The fact is that a lot of what was chanted was vulgar, offensive, childish and unoriginal .... and certainly was not supporting the team. And that is a shame because the general noise from our fans was actually very impressive - much louder than the home fans and could have been great - but it was spoiled. Please don't do it.
I know Woodford is only a teenager but honestly, if your sister or mother came home from work and told you she was standing with a colleague whilst a hundred or so men made constant sexual comments to her and were shouting and swearing about all sorts of offensive subjects would you laugh and say "yes that is banter and perfectly reasonable?".
The fact that the Bromley stewards were very pleasant does not negate the fact that you we're not.
We were all teenagers once, the difference is we weren't all utter morons!
matt_drfc

rechitski kinzhal wrote:I know Woodford is only a teenager but honestly, if your sister or mother came home from work and told you she was standing with a colleague whilst a hundred or so men made constant sexual comments to her and were shouting and swearing about all sorts of offensive subjects would you laugh and say "yes that is banter and perfectly reasonable?".
The fact that the Bromley stewards were very pleasant does not negate the fact that you we're not.
Just a kid ain't he
Woodford Dagger

durnzo wrote:Gotta agree with Woodford dagger on this one. Singing about Hillsborough is wrong (although I'll admit to singing worse in my younger days) but singing about being a ***** or the seeing the female stewards on triple x mums is amusing to someone as immature as me and was taken in the good nature it was intended. I'm not going to have a go at youngsters being uncouth as that's what they tend to do.

Also agree that the stewarding was good, the fella who came over after the goals and said if you stay here the old bill will turf you and then happily hugged the enthusiastic daggers was exactly what a boisterous, but well meaning atmosphere needed. Just my opinion but, what do I know!!
Summed it up much better than I could mate. There was no malice in any of the chanting and if the female steward felt that strongly about ti she could have said something to the police who were there, young football fans want a bit of noise and atmosphere and that is what we had on Saturday and it is the best way of getting new fans into the club imo. They tell their friends about what it's like over Dagenham and the fanbase grows, as opposed to it being full of people having a pop at those trying to make some noise.
Woodford Dagger

matt_drfc wrote:
rechitski kinzhal wrote:I know Woodford is only a teenager but honestly, if your sister or mother came home from work and told you she was standing with a colleague whilst a hundred or so men made constant sexual comments to her and were shouting and swearing about all sorts of offensive subjects would you laugh and say "yes that is banter and perfectly reasonable?".
Just a kid ain't he
Hold your hand out.
Woodford Dagger

rechitski kinzhal wrote:Whether Woodford and Durnzo think it acceptable is not the point. Of course we don't know what the Bromley fans thought but we do know that Benstead, Arnu, Sussex, and you can add me the list of people who most certainly were offended (..... and those of us unhappy are certainly not "church mice").
The fact is that a lot of what was chanted was vulgar, offensive, childish and unoriginal .... and certainly was not supporting the team. And that is a shame because the general noise from our fans was actually very impressive - much louder than the home fans and could have been great - but it was spoiled. Please don't do it.
I know Woodford is only a teenager but honestly, if your sister or mother came home from work and told you she was standing with a colleague whilst a hundred or so men made constant sexual comments to her and were shouting and swearing about all sorts of offensive subjects would you laugh and say "yes that is banter and perfectly reasonable?".
You don't like it. So what? Should we all stand in silence? Or should we only sing songs approved by you or by the club?

Also who really cares what Bromley fans think of us? They'd have forgotten about it by next weekend, and again. the steward took it well so there's no need to get offended on her behalf.

If you thought Saturday was unpleasant then god knows what you'd think of some actual nastiness.
Phippo

Just a thought, but whether the fans are young or "mature", what's the difficulty in them being very noisy without actually swearing and/or being abusive?