Ponderings

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dj johnny b

I haven’t ever posted on this Forum – although I was a regular on the Steve McG’s – but feel moved to do so here by the current situation at the club. Now living away from London it’s difficult to get to many matches but I retain my season ticket. For those who don’t know me, I have supported the club since its inception and indeed Leytonstone (and all the subsequent merged entities) since the mid 1960’s. During that time I’ve been a supporter, press secretary, fanzine writer (in the days before blogs!) so I feel I have some background on which to base my comments that follow:
First, I was alarmed and dismayed when it became apparent that we appear to be in some financial trouble. I had always celebrated the fact that we cut our cloth accordingly and balanced the books. I felt misled, duped indeed. Second, the moneyed cavalry charging over the hill, on closer inspection, did not appear to be whiter than white. Thirdly – and I find this infuriating – there has been much opaqueness, misinformation, gossip, changing of plans – to the extent that none of us really knows what the true situation is. And how on earth efforts have been made to change the legal position of the club without the members agreeing this formally I have no idea. Couple this with an all too obvious, transparent and clumsy PR exercise by the potential investor, then the proposal seems to be being railroaded through. I have found this immensely depressing to observe.
I really don’t understand where (and even if) the financial problems came from but if this is the situation then we now have to decide what sort of club we want to be. Many seem to be seduced by the £ signs. Many, now we have had such a good start to the season, understandably want to see this maintained, ever upwards and so forth. But it isn’t that simple.
All I would say to those that can influence our future now is be careful what you wish for and think in the medium and long term, not just the next year or so. Many have written a lot of common sense on here, some haven’t. Mike’s recent interviews were illuminating but far from conclusive -especially the last one with the main investor; it isn’t difficult to come across well with ambitious plans. Tommo’s interview on Time FM also interesting but the interviewer didn’t probe enough or ask some crucial questions. So, where are we?
If you are a member(who are these mysterious 70/100? people, there only seem to be a few on the forum?) or you know one/more, I’d advise them to think very carefully before deciding, remembering that the track record in non-league football of such investments, as others have pointed out at length, is very poor indeed. Of course the club needs a revamp and a new, more realistic even more imaginative direction maybe but that may well not be achieved with money thrown at it.
rechitski kinzhal

Welcome back John, your points are spot on in my opinion, which probably explains why no-one has commented. Those that see "investment"* as the way forward just cannot disagree with what you say. Regrettably I can't see what can be done by those that are concerned about the future - the protests and action against the proposals have been met with a mixture of criticism and sympathy, but in the end the "club" is determined to push this through despite the objections of what is clearly a majority of fans.
(* "investment" is a ridiculous word for bankrolling a football club)
Mike the Dagger

Massive welcome back John.

Care to drop me an email?
Alan

Good to have you back dj.

I've been at pains to say that both sides need to be treated equally.

The East/Goodwin interviews are taken as a positive thing by many, but the Tamplin interview dismissed by the same people as PR.

When Lee Goodwin said we had to borrow to pay the tax bill, people believed him but when Tamplin says we will go into administration within months without investment, the same people think he's lying - both are probably telling the truth.

People complained about the lack of guarantees for Tamplin's money, including me, but he's willing to give those. People including me, complained about the structure of the original deal giving him 80% of the shares immediately, but he's offered to take as low as 10% if 7 others match his investment of £125k, but this was rejected.

The Easts wanted 51% for 200k but are now offering 500k for the same percentage - no criticism for their bid.

Both sides should produce business plans and guarantees for the money and that they will provide personal guarantees for any capital projects the club enters into. Then we can consider the merits.
diggerdagger1

Great post djjohnny. Just read Saturday's programme and wondered does anybody know who has pulled out of the east/Goodwin etc consortium? Is this the reason why no details of the egm are known yet?
Voice of reason

dj johnny b wrote:I haven’t ever posted on this Forum – although I was a regular on the Steve McG’s – but feel moved to do so here by the current situation at the club. Now living away from London it’s difficult to get to many matches but I retain my season ticket. For those who don’t know me, I have supported the club since its inception and indeed Leytonstone (and all the subsequent merged entities) since the mid 1960’s. During that time I’ve been a supporter, press secretary, fanzine writer (in the days before blogs!) so I feel I have some background on which to base my comments that follow:
First, I was alarmed and dismayed when it became apparent that we appear to be in some financial trouble. I had always celebrated the fact that we cut our cloth accordingly and balanced the books. I felt misled, duped indeed. Second, the moneyed cavalry charging over the hill, on closer inspection, did not appear to be whiter than white. Thirdly – and I find this infuriating – there has been much opaqueness, misinformation, gossip, changing of plans – to the extent that none of us really knows what the true situation is. And how on earth efforts have been made to change the legal position of the club without the members agreeing this formally I have no idea. Couple this with an all too obvious, transparent and clumsy PR exercise by the potential investor, then the proposal seems to be being railroaded through. I have found this immensely depressing to observe.
I really don’t understand where (and even if) the financial problems came from but if this is the situation then we now have to decide what sort of club we want to be. Many seem to be seduced by the £ signs. Many, now we have had such a good start to the season, understandably want to see this maintained, ever upwards and so forth. But it isn’t that simple.
All I would say to those that can influence our future now is be careful what you wish for and think in the medium and long term, not just the next year or so. Many have written a lot of common sense on here, some haven’t. Mike’s recent interviews were illuminating but far from conclusive -especially the last one with the main investor; it isn’t difficult to come across well with ambitious plans. Tommo’s interview on Time FM also interesting but the interviewer didn’t probe enough or ask some crucial questions. So, where are we?
If you are a member(who are these mysterious 70/100? people, there only seem to be a few on the forum?) or you know one/more, I’d advise them to think very carefully before deciding, remembering that the track record in non-league football of such investments, as others have pointed out at length, is very poor indeed. Of course the club needs a revamp and a new, more realistic even more imaginative direction maybe but that may well not be achieved with money thrown at it.

My thoughts exactly
lupins

rechitski kinzhal wrote:despite the objections of what is clearly a majority of fans
Based on very little of our 1200 diehards probably 2000 including armchair fans

Why surprise on the financial position. The published accounts clearly show we make a loss each year and it is only reserves that cover this each year. It is actually still quite impressive that we have got as far as we have in 15 years and developed the ground

I don't think people are seduced by £signs as the investment proposed by all parties will not suddenly mean we going to be able to go mad and enter into unsustainable arrangements. Its relatively modest considering the current likely losses and doesn't seem to me to be money thrown at it as such

I am still for investment with appropriate safeguards, I like the fact that the Manager seems supportive that to me says something

I actually started a thread in April asking why we couldn't seek a Benefactor and within 90 mins a negative answer appeared. I think it is important to keep an open mind and as the first post here said it would be good to have full knowledge of the facts before any decision making takes place

Mikes recent interviews have helped in this and were fairly presented I thought which was helpful
AVincelotFlyingLeap

rechitski kinzhal wrote:Welcome back John, your points are spot on in my opinion, which probably explains why no-one has commented. Those that see "investment"* as the way forward just cannot disagree with what you say. Regrettably I can't see what can be done by those that are concerned about the future - the protests and action against the proposals have been met with a mixture of criticism and sympathy, but in the end the "club" is determined to push this through despite the objections of what is clearly a majority of fans.
(* "investment" is a ridiculous word for bankrolling a football club)
Love to know where you find this 'majority' of fans. How many did you count in the car park the other day? 1000?
rechitski kinzhal

I say "majority" as that is what comes across on this forum. There was also a poll on this forum which had "yes" 6, "no" 19. As no-one is able to poll every one of our fans I have made my assumption on the presumption that the most ardent and opinionated supporters are in fact contributors to this site. If I am wrong, perhaps you will show me how?
Sagres

[quote="rechitski kinzhal" There was also a poll on this forum which had "yes" 6, "no" 19[/quote]

Poll results also had undecided due to lack of info 15
Alan

The poll was also pre Tamplin saying he would drop below 50% and guarantee the money. So I've started a new poll.