Glenn Tamplin Interview

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

steeevooo wrote:I love the references and comparisons in here - "successful businessman", comparing him to very successful men such as Dave Whelan etc. This is a man that has overseen the dissolution of at least three companies carrying a large amount of debt, and is currently the director of only one active (in terms of turnover, i.e. not dormant) company - AGP Steel Structures Limited - which as of its last accounts (30/9/15) had net assets of £183,454 and an implied profit for the year of approximately £90,000. He is absolutely nowhere near the same league as people such as Dave Whelan and I would be extremely hesitant, indeed reluctant, to use the phrase "successful businessman" when referring to him.
Who is comparing him to Dave Whelan?? I was answering a direct question.

If you want an example of someone with a fortune from a massive international brand that took a club down, Max Griggs.
steeevooo

Mike the Dagger wrote:
steeevooo wrote:I love the references and comparisons in here - "successful businessman", comparing him to very successful men such as Dave Whelan etc. This is a man that has overseen the dissolution of at least three companies carrying a large amount of debt, and is currently the director of only one active (in terms of turnover, i.e. not dormant) company - AGP Steel Structures Limited - which as of its last accounts (30/9/15) had net assets of £183,454 and an implied profit for the year of approximately £90,000. He is absolutely nowhere near the same league as people such as Dave Whelan and I would be extremely hesitant, indeed reluctant, to use the phrase "successful businessman" when referring to him.
Who is comparing him to Dave Whelan?? I was answering a direct question.

If you want an example of someone with a fortune from a massive international brand that took a club down, Max Griggs.
Apologies Mike - misread the question you were answering. In case anyone is under the illusion that Tamplin is similar to Whelan though, I still suggest that he is not! Totally agree re Max Griggs too - I daresay there have been numerous millionaires that have seen their invested clubs fall to pieces around them...
Voice of reason

Well done Steve
This is precisely the type of thing that needs to be looked at as part of due diligence
If the club's estimate of Mr T's wealth is accurate they should also ask the question where it came from
Alan

The abbreviated accounts tell you very little about his earnings, the balance sheet is a snapshot of the company on a single day.

The profit and loss account shows the retained profit - it doesn't tell you how much profit was made and distributed in the year.

There is reference in the notes to the accounts to there being a trust set up for payments to be made to employees/dependents, payments into that do not show on a balance sheet. What does show is payments into and out of the directors loan account, which are often used to reduce personal tax liability.
bearaab

JJB sports, remember them? Everyone makes mistakes.
Mike the Dagger

bearaab wrote:
JJB sports, remember them? Everyone makes mistakes.
On 8 June 2007, Mr Whelan sold his residual 29% stake in the firm for £190 million... timing is everything.