Glenn Tamplin Interview

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DagenHammer87

Good interview. Thanks for posting.

As said, makes you wonder why this wasn't done earlier.

I'm glad he acknowledges his faults in this and also isn't too bleary eyed about the things that need to change at the club.

Perhaps I've read too much into it, but I doubt Thommo will be around the club in his same role if Tamplin does get the club.

I wasn't aware of glyn hopkin being involved, so that was interesting to here and i think that he came across well regarding the number of votes.

I get the fears - they're the same ones I have. But as I've read all summer about afc dagenham, it looks like we could go to the wall either way.

I do think we need to look and trust John Still in this. He's an experienced football man, who clearly loves this club. He seems to be working closely and if the potential board and manager are in harmony then that can only be a good thing.

I can also see the point about him getting bored, that's a fair one. But if he employs what I seem to think is his version of Karren Brady, he can take more of a back seat. The club will be worth more back in the football league. he'll flog it for more than he's paid and will happily walk away.

If he helps to finance the way back up and can make the club better, then frankly on what I've read today, he has my support.

Fingers crossed he does a better job than the absolute shit and dross we've had out of the last couple of years. The club's looked spineless at times and maybe a board with teeth and a pair of bollocks to make decisions is what we need.

I'm not a member so it counts for nothing; but i want to see my club doing well on and off the field. Who knows how this ends?

Doing nothing is a choice we can't afford to take either way.
The Romford Dagger

Auntie Merge wrote:
Mike the Dagger wrote:I keep reading "PR" in reaction to this.

1. I'm not press so the "P" is irrelevant. I'm a bloke with a website that got the chance to ask a few questions.

2. The discussion was nearly 50 minutes (I have a recording of 48 and a half minutes). Not once during that did I feel I was being played or manipulated. There is a lot that was said that is not in the item published because it was quite sensitive (my call), but at no point did Glenn Tamplin refuse to answer a direct question, including the hard ones.

3. He was offered the chance to review the article before it was published, read it and gave me permission to release it as it stood, it hasn't been sanitised.

A lot of you know me, and have known me for years. Hopefully you know I am not playing angles here, what you see is what you get. Please don't read stuff into this that isn't there.
I never thought anything like this Mike. I don't think you are the PR in this.

But the PR is from Tamplin himself. He says all the things he thinks the supporters want to hear, about investing money, building an Academy, buying players, two promotions in 4 years, nada nada nada. It's all a little too perfect; a little too polished. What happens if we don't get promoted? What happens when he gets bored with us? He's getting bored with his own business, so anything is possible.
To my mind, nothing has changed. SAY NO TO TAMPLIN.
For Christ sake he can't win.

That was a seemingly honest interview and I have to say has swayed me a bit in favour of him.

He admitted mistakes like the email and gave his opinions on subjects that many wouldn't have answered such as whether Thommo would keep his job. I absolutely agreed with what he said re Thommo over the last few months. Lack of direction.

I think he will be refreshing for the club and clearly want to be involved. He's still trying to get invoked depsite all this shenanigans since his original interest.

The only thing I doubted in his whole interview was whether it's really as bad as 2 months til bust. If that is true, the board and Burnett very nearly ruined this club.

I think your campaign Merge (and others) has been unfair. Some of the thins mentioned have been irrelevant. And now moaning at him over this. Come on. What should he have said in respond to the questions given in your view?

As a side note, good interview Mike.
Auntie Merge

I seem to be getting a lot of criticism.
No I am not going to change my view or be swayed on one article.
If anything it makes me question more.

He says he has already put in £200,000 so we can buy more players.
This indicates we are already living above our means.
How was this money paid, if it's a lump sum then ok but if it's in the form of a loan, with monthly payments, then we are already up shit creek without a paddle if he decides not to make a payment, or pulls out if his takeover bid falls through. Maybe this is part of the plan, to force us into admin so he can pick the club up on the cheap.

IMO It is extremely irresponsible for the board of the club to allow someone to do this before the takeover has happened. It violates the trust the members have put in the board.
NickMurphy

Auntie Merge wrote: Maybe this is part of the plan, to force us into admin so he can pick the club up on the cheap..
Or maybe it's not.
rechitski kinzhal

No criticism from me, Auntie. He agrees to give an interview and then comes across as "very nice" - well it would hardly have been otherwise.
The 48% stake would make me far more likely to warm to him if it was guaranteed he, or his successors, were prevented from getting another 3% ...... but that is not the case. And he already seems to be involved in some decision making without having any authority. In fact from the interview he already seems to think he knows more about running this club than anyone else. Surely that raises alarm bells.
And even if he is a gift from above, how long is he going to continue to throw money in when, no matter how rich he is, he is unlikely to be able to compete with FGR or Eastleigh, and Fylde next year, and any other club that suddenly becomes a millionaires toy.
I am still far from convinced - if he doesn't need to make money from this venture why would he need control? Put a way of stopping overall control and maybe I could support this. Meantime I am concerned.
Alan

I don't understand the logic of saying he's trying to get us into administration to get is on the cheap. There's no suggestion at all that he's pulling out to await administration.

So turning to what the competing parties have said:

Tamplin has said he's personally guaranteeing 800k of the 1.3m his consortium will invest, he's having somebody external come in to review every aspect of the business and wants Thommo to have less responsibility and control, he and his Mrs are going to spend 2 days plus match days working in the club.

The Easts are going to put in 500k, sack Thommo (which will cost money and then do what? We don't know really.

Forget the personalities and look at it in a dispassionate way for a moment. Would anyone go for a bid guaranteeing 500k and an unspecified plan over a bid that guaranteed 1.3m and an outline of a plan?
lupins

Good interview Mike

Well said Alan

Absolutely no reason I know not too take all sides at face value in wanting to do well for the Club and instead of looking for problems or making up very tenuous issues be glad that there is enough interest in our Club to warrant willingness to do so

Anyone open minded reading this interview would say how lucky are Dagenham to have this opportunity.

I accept there are safeguards needed to some extent to prevent crash and burn but I trust that will happen. The Manager who surely is someone respected enough by all seems to be supporting Tamplin which to me is a very good sign

Time for the negative campaigning to stop now surely That doesn't mean reasonable questions cannot still be asked so that Members can make accurate assessments of all choices

Back in 1992 a big decision on merger was made after a period of doubt and debate. That didn't work too badly did it
SUSSEX DAGGER

Thanks Mike very interesting . Whatever happens at worse we are only swaping one set of shall we say Walter Mitty's for another.

The current Board look more and more hapless and if you even contemplate accepting only half of what Mr Taplin is saying then we are being only mislead.

One thing that is ceettain both sides of this bid have now stated the Club is basically up shit creek without a paddle, something that has been denied repeatedly by DTP and Thommo.

Think it's now time to grit our teeth and bite the bullett as I no longer have any trust in a number of those currently running this Club . Not an ideal situation but frankly I am a bit like Mavis "I don't really Know"
NBDag

lupins wrote:Good interview Mike

Well said Alan

Absolutely no reason I know not too take all sides at face value in wanting to do well for the Club and instead of looking for problems or making up very tenuous issues be glad that there is enough interest in our Club to warrant willingness to do so

Anyone open minded reading this interview would say how lucky are Dagenham to have this opportunity.

I accept there are safeguards needed to some extent to prevent crash and burn but I trust that will happen. The Manager who surely is someone respected enough by all seems to be supporting Tamplin which to me is a very good sign

Time for the negative campaigning to stop now surely That doesn't mean reasonable questions cannot still be asked so that Members can make accurate assessments of all choices

Back in 1992 a big decision on merger was made after a period of doubt and debate. That didn't work too badly did it
100% right. Although I'm not sure if a lot of these militant anti-Tamplin people are familiar with reasonable thought and questions.
Diggerthedog

The Anti Towie people will have the last laugh when we're proved right in a couple of years. And I will genuinely laugh when your asking me to donate into a bucket.

Obviously I hope I'm proved completely wrong but I don't believe I will be. Good luck organising AFC Dagenham because I won't be helping.

I won't say a more on the matter. Good luck Dagenham & Redbridge 2016 LTD.

I will be concentrating on supporting the TEAM.
Mark

It's perfectly rational to be annoyed by him already getting his feet under the table.

It's also rational to ask where the money has come from to sign these players, I assume he means Ling but not sure who else. There's also the matter of other people round the club who haven't been announced like Southam, I'm sure he must be getting paid. Is the club liable if no takeover happens?

Club going to the wall in 2 months seems like a stretch to me and far worse than anyone has said before. We have assets we can sell to pay the bills such as Hawkins Whitely and Fejiri.

How much will these new employees coming across from AGP get paid and where's that money coming from? Does he intend to turn it into a gravy train for his mates? Is his wife getting a wage from the club? Surely he can't just appoint people without the new board agreeing.

Is there any safeguard to stop him getting more than half the shares? There absolutely has to be for this deal to be viable for me.

He seems to form a new consortium or deal depending on the weather. Where on earth has he dredged the name Jeanette Kwakye up from and why would we want or need her involvement? The constant changing of the deals on the table doesn't exactly give the impression he's going to be very stable.
Alan

Again, let's be dispassionate: both sides have changed their bids in response to criticism. You can't single out one side for adding or changing their structure.

People wanted Tamplin to take less than 50%, he's brought in others, including glynn Hopkin, and dropped to 48% and one vote.

People criticised the Easts for offering 250k, they brought in other people and raised their bid to 500k.

The other players he is funding are benno and whitely.
Mark

I believe this is the 5th possible deal involving Tamplin so far more flux on that side of the aisle. But nowhere have I said the Easts have been perfect in this process. This is a thread about Tamplin.

If he's funding those players with no repercussions if he doesn't get the club then that's one thing but it isn't clear at all.
Adrian

Mark wrote:It's perfectly rational to be annoyed by him already getting his feet under the table.

It's also rational to ask where the money has come from to sign these players, I assume he means Ling but not sure who else. There's also the matter of other people round the club who haven't been announced like Southam, I'm sure he must be getting paid. Is the club liable if no takeover happens?

Club going to the wall in 2 months seems like a stretch to me and far worse than anyone has said before. We have assets we can sell to pay the bills such as Hawkins Whitely and Fejiri.

How much will these new employees coming across from AGP get paid and where's that money coming from? Does he intend to turn it into a gravy train for his mates? Is his wife getting a wage from the club? Surely he can't just appoint people without the new board agreeing.

Is there any safeguard to stop him getting more than half the shares? There absolutely has to be for this deal to be viable for me.

He seems to form a new consortium or deal depending on the weather. Where on earth has he dredged the name Jeanette Kwakye up from and why would we want or need her involvement? The constant changing of the deals on the table doesn't exactly give the impression he's going to be very stable.
Southam? As in Glen,who's signed for Whitehawk?

Who's buying these assets?
Mark

Well according to Tamplin we've already rejected offers.

Southam was here up until a week ago. He was at every away game in club kit.