Glenn Tamplin Interview

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Adrian

Excellent stuff Mike.

I think if the club had done something like this it would have just been dismissed as them trying to help make him look better.

He's not perfect, but then neither is any other option
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Comes across well. Thanks so much for doing these interviews, they are much needed! So far everyone has come across as open, honest and with the club at heart. It's just a shame this hadn't been communicated earlier and to all fans. Hope it gets resolved soon.
Dagdale

Well some of the answers to these question overall are what most of us would be pleased to hear but the line 'We'd be bust in the next couple of months without investment' concerns me because when we were almost certainly flying out of the football league surely the powers to be would have had a reserve plan ready in place to keep the club steady in a minimum of one season in non-league, we know John was about to go on a re-build but wasn't the 100% parachute payment first year a big drive to help it through?
Mike the Dagger

Dagdale wrote:Well some of the answers to these question overall are what most of us would be pleased to hear but the line 'We'd be bust in the next couple of months without investment' concerns me because when we were almost certainly flying out of the football league surely the powers to be would have had a reserve plan ready in place to keep the club steady in a minimum of one season in non-league, we know John was about to go on a re-build but wasn't the 100% parachute payment first year a big drive to help it through?
To be fair, discussions about investment seem to have started in April.
leewilson

Maybe I've been swayed by his business charm but on the face of it, I very much like what he has to say.

I thought he got Thommo spot on:

""My belief is that Steve has been doing too much, trying to run everything. I think maybe he is a great number two but he's been being a number one, and not being guided correctly."

Bennett has been a lousy chairman. I know he's been involved with the club for years but Dave Andrews stepping down has been the start of the real decline I think.

My thoughts are that for years people have said we are stuck in the dark ages as a club with regards to PR and much, much more. I think a personality like Tamplin is what we need. It reminds me a little of Darragh MacAnthony, who although divides opinion, has largely been very good for Peterborough.

We won't know for sure until he's confirmed, but I think Tamplin could honestly go either way. It could be another Karl Williams etc, or it could be the kick this club needs in the right direction.
Auntie Merge

Well done on the interview Mike.

But my position on Glenn Tamplin hasn't changed.
Some of this feels like a real PR push to win the fans over.
'I've bought in new players already'
'We'll be back in the league in two years' in league one in another two'
'John still will have money' - I expect he'll be retired in 12 months; he deserves to be.
'The communications that got sent out were a disaster'
'I'm bored with my other businesses'
'My businesses going under were someone else's fault'
And the one we all expected
'Without a takeover the club will go bust in 2 months'.

This is nothing less than I expected but I will still be saying
SAY NO TO TAMPLIN
Mike the Dagger

Auntie Merge wrote:Well done on the interview Mike.
Thanks, it's a bit of a blast from the past to be doing this stuff again! I know we are tinpot again but the press just haven't been doing their job here.
Auntie Merge wrote:But my position on Glenn Tamplin hasn't changed.
Some of this feels like a real PR push to win the fans over.
TBH I don't think Mr Tamplin does PR, the comments about him shooting from the hip are much closer to the truth. PR needs a bit of pre-meditation.
Auntie Merge wrote:'I've bought in new players already'
'We'll be back in the league in two years' in league one in another two'
'John still will have money' - I expect he'll be retired in 12 months; he deserves to be.
'The communications that got sent out were a disaster'
'I'm bored with my other businesses'
'My businesses going under were someone else's fault'
And the one we all expected
'Without a takeover the club will go bust in 2 months'.
I think the last one is now close to the truth, given that we have to do something.
Auntie Merge wrote:This is nothing less than I expected but I will still be saying
SAY NO TO TAMPLIN
It's not my intention to push any position over the others, it has always been my first preference that we stay as we are if there is a way to do that.

Given the above though, that we are heading down the pan without investment, it's a straight choice between the Easts (the past) and someone with a lot of energy and enthusiasm who will definitely shake the place up, but is likely to be the more risky option.
Mikins

No controlling interest? That's enough to put me back on the fence if nothing else.

Fact is if we're as ****** as it sounds like we are, do we actually have an alternative?
Sorry about your damn luck!
Mark

He will almost certainly wangle it so he can take shares off other shareholders later on. His ego won't allow him to be anything other than the main man. Seems to me he just wants a new toy.
steeevooo

Mark wrote:He will almost certainly wangle it so he can take shares off other shareholders later on. His ego won't allow him to be anything other than the main man. Seems to me he just wants a new toy.
Agreed Mark. I simply cannot read that without thinking that he is just a (failed) businessman on a PR offensive to win fans over by saying the right things. Having a 48% interest to avoid not having a controlling interest means diddly squat when he can just simply buy out anyone/everyone else's stake. Everything about how he has acted (ie already making decisions and doing things before he's even been voted on) and what he says strongly suggests to me that he will not be content unless he has control and can fully dictate what happens. I'm still very uncomfortable with his potential takeover and can't possibly see a positive outcome long term for us.

Also, given the widespread acknowledgment that we need to seriously overhaul our off pitch side of things, publicity and commercial activities, do we really want to: a.) Wait until we're in league one again before addressing this (as per the interview) and b.) Have somebody who acknowledges he is awful with PR involved in it?! Presumably he'll involve his current PR man, and we know how well he's been doing...
Auntie Merge

steeevooo wrote:
Mark wrote:He will almost certainly wangle it so he can take shares off other shareholders later on. His ego won't allow him to be anything other than the main man. Seems to me he just wants a new toy.
Agreed Mark. I simply cannot read that without thinking that he is just a (failed) businessman on a PR offensive to win fans over by saying the right things. Having a 48% interest to avoid not having a controlling interest means diddly squat when he can just simply buy out anyone/everyone else's stake. Everything about how he has acted (ie already making decisions and doing things before he's even been voted on) and what he says strongly suggests to me that he will not be content unless he has control and can fully dictate what happens. I'm still very uncomfortable with his potential takeover and can't possibly see a positive outcome long term for us.

Also, given the widespread acknowledgment that we need to seriously overhaul our off pitch side of things, publicity and commercial activities, do we really want to: a.) Wait until we're in league one again before addressing this (as per the interview) and b.) Have somebody who acknowledges he is awful with PR involved in it?! Presumably he'll involve his current PR man, and we know how well he's been doing...
Agree with Mark and this.
Mike the Dagger

I keep reading "PR" in reaction to this.

1. I'm not press so the "P" is irrelevant. I'm a bloke with a website that got the chance to ask a few questions.

2. The discussion was nearly 50 minutes (I have a recording of 48 and a half minutes). Not once during that did I feel I was being played or manipulated. There is a lot that was said that is not in the item published because it was quite sensitive (my call), but at no point did Glenn Tamplin refuse to answer a direct question, including the hard ones.

3. He was offered the chance to review the article before it was published, read it and gave me permission to release it as it stood, it hasn't been sanitised.

A lot of you know me, and have known me for years. Hopefully you know I am not playing angles here, what you see is what you get. Please don't read stuff into this that isn't there.
Auntie Merge

Mike the Dagger wrote:I keep reading "PR" in reaction to this.

1. I'm not press so the "P" is irrelevant. I'm a bloke with a website that got the chance to ask a few questions.

2. The discussion was nearly 50 minutes (I have a recording of 48 and a half minutes). Not once during that did I feel I was being played or manipulated. There is a lot that was said that is not in the item published because it was quite sensitive (my call), but at no point did Glenn Tamplin refuse to answer a direct question, including the hard ones.

3. He was offered the chance to review the article before it was published, read it and gave me permission to release it as it stood, it hasn't been sanitised.

A lot of you know me, and have known me for years. Hopefully you know I am not playing angles here, what you see is what you get. Please don't read stuff into this that isn't there.
I never thought anything like this Mike. I don't think you are the PR in this.

But the PR is from Tamplin himself. He says all the things he thinks the supporters want to hear, about investing money, building an Academy, buying players, two promotions in 4 years, nada nada nada. It's all a little too perfect; a little too polished. What happens if we don't get promoted? What happens when he gets bored with us? He's getting bored with his own business, so anything is possible.
To my mind, nothing has changed. SAY NO TO TAMPLIN.
Alan

Christ, this bloke can't win. When he says the right things he's just saying what people want to hear, when he says the wrong thing, it's gospel.
Sagres

Auntie Merge wrote: To my mind, nothing has changed. SAY NO TO TAMPLIN.
Change the record and give the bloke a chance