Femi v Connors

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

Think last night is a bit unfair on Femi. My view is Connors all day long.
However on Saturday I thought that Wayne made the change for risk management after what happened at Burton.

Connors was booked inside 10 minutes Saturday and the Bury winger was their best player.

As he never made the bench last night was there more to the switch then first thought on Saturday.

Last night Femi looked injured and if you had seen how that thug went right through the back of him late on Saturday it was little wonder.

Season is starting to take its toll no better example then at left back. Either both Connors and Femi are injured carrying knocks or both look a little fatigued.
leewilson

Last season, I thought Femi was one of the best left backs in the division. Tough to get past and his attacking play was dynamic. For some reason this season, it's all gone to pot. He is still tricky to get past but I agree that his positioning is off at times and he's become very stale attacking wise. Where he used to drive at players, he now pretends to take them on before stopping and playing an easy pass. I don't know if the change in management has had an effect or if he's just lost form. The management line is an easy one to bring out because of the contrast in philosophies but I don't know if that's actually the case.

To be honest, left back isn't an area I'd actively look at strengthening. I think there are more vital areas of the pitch we can look at addressing. I think we could do with another CB. We've been fortunate that Doe/Saah have stayed pretty much fit all season. If one of them had picked up an injury for a few months, we'd be struggling in that position. I wouldn't mind us bringing in another CM. When D'Ath goes back, we have 4 at the club (one in Saunders who has been injured more than fit). Hines' injury/lack of contract means another wide man or two is a priority. And we're going to need another two strikers I think what with the mass releases, Norris and Azeez going back and Dickson being rubbish which leaves just Murphy.
TheLion

I agree that the loss of Femi driving forward has been a mystery and a big loss, but with Connors probably being our number one next year I do not think that LB is a priority.

With Murphy probably going, and the loanees departing, there will not be much left up front.

The club do not spend on transfers, so it will back to who is on a free plus the loan market. Goldburg needs to come back.

I also feel we need a lump of a CB unless Wilko comes back to his form of last year. At set pieces, especially defending, we have no one who challenges for the ball.

A massive summer for Wayne.
SUSSEX DAGGER

TheLion wrote:I agree that the loss of Femi driving forward has been a mystery and a big loss, but with Connors probably being our number one next year I do not think that LB is a priority.

With Murphy probably going, and the loanees departing, there will not be much left up front.

The club do not spend on transfers, so it will back to who is on a free plus the loan market. Goldburg needs to come back.

I also feel we need a lump of a CB unless Wilko comes back to his form of last year. At set pieces, especially defending, we have no one who challenges for the ball.

A massive summer for Wayne.
Goldberg Bromley and The Daggers. Liverpool and Tranmere Rovers so near but in reality miles apart
TheLion

Sussex, bit deep for me, please explain.

Cheers

p.s. Good result for Pompey last night!
Lcbdagger

Off topic for a LB thread btI will be upset if we don't keep hold of Goldberg... I understand he is only on a one year contract and has had a great year to date. Thought he would have got a game this year the way he set pre season alight. Will be sadder to see him go than Rhys if we get a bit of money for Murphy.

Agree with many recent comments on here... Connors has the higher potential thus far but neither man is the finished article. Connors certainly struggles against someone with a bit of pace about them but Femil, positionally certainly, has become a liability this season... I thought he had a stormer last year but gone backwards
SUSSEX DAGGER

TheLion wrote:Sussex, bit deep for me, please explain.

Cheers

p.s. Good result for Pompey last night!
Bromley play in Ryeman South now that is far removed from what we need. Goldbeg is scoring there accepted but heavens above so is Jake Read in the league above and we all know what a dreadfull fsilure he was.

Still got a lot to prove and Wayne was hardly waxing lyrical at the recent fans forum and would have thought he would have tied him down by now if he thought he was the answer.

Sorry if we lose Rhys and who says we will think we would need something a bit more then what is after all only a proven goalscorer four leagues below.
steeevooo

Sorry to be a pedant Sussex, but Bromley actually play in the Conference South (2 divs below us) as opposed to Ryman South (4 divs below us).
SUSSEX DAGGER

steeevooo wrote:Sorry to be a pedant Sussex, but Bromley actually play in the Conference South (2 divs below us) as opposed to Ryman South (4 divs below us).
I apologise you are correct, but its still a big ask. Hope i am wrong but these academy rejects from bigger Clubs have served us well in the past.
TheLion

Only time will tell with Goldberg, but not many players in our part of the footballing world can score goals like the one Goldberg scored at Victoria Road earlier this season.

If what my pals, who watch Bromley, tell me about him is correct, then perhaps Wayne should go and watch him.

As for where he currently plys his trade, where was it that Gayle played before he exploded on the scene!
Mikins

I think Goldberg is kind of an irrelevance unless hesigns a new deal as hhe'll play as many games us again as Hines will otherwise. And until we see him in action we can't judge if he can take the step up or not.

On the original topic I'm a big Femi fan, but he needs someone to keep him on his toes and Connors will only improve the more he plays so I'm largely in agreement with the tactical deployment of either/or and the ability to sub at half time to totally shift our playing style and keep opponent's guessing.
Sorry about your damn luck!
Phippo

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
steeevooo wrote:Sorry to be a pedant Sussex, but Bromley actually play in the Conference South (2 divs below us) as opposed to Ryman South (4 divs below us).
I apologise you are correct, but its still a big ask. Hope i am wrong but these academy rejects from bigger Clubs have served us well in the past.
Is it really as big an ask as you suggest? Dwight Gayle went to the same level (Bishops Stortford) and look what happened with him! I'm not suggesting the same, but to most of us we have very little to gauge what sort of prospect he really is at our level. In Wayne we have to place our trust (and he hasn't done too bad thus far in my eyes).
SUSSEX DAGGER

7/10 from Jack today I thought and played his part in a good effort by the defence.

With his absence from the entire team today confirming what I thought that Femi was clearly carrying an injury Tuesday night, belated pat on the pat for him as well.

Can not tell you what a nasty challange he was subjected to at Bury last weekend and the questions begs to be asked was it fair to expect anymore from him last Tuesday and why was he playing.