Was the Tommo interview broadcast?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
NBDag

steeevooo wrote:
NBDag wrote: It's not that hard for Tamplin to send an open letter to the Post/Recorder and what does he have to lose by doing it?
The problem is that Tamplin has had ample opportunity to release a statement - any kind of statement. The Goodwin consortium stated its aims early on in the process, and that would have been a perfectly logical time for Tamplin to give a similar sort of statement. He is evidently aware of the fans distrust in the situation and our fears regarding his bid (hence his initial "retreat" due to "abuse") - again giving a perfect time/opportunity to release a statement and try to allay any fears, reduce the "abuse" he was receiving, and generally try to promote his cause. The fact that he has chosen at no point to make any statement whatsoever speaks volumes of his attitude towards the fans IMO, and any statement that he does release going forwards will surely only be seen as an act that he has been forced into doing as opposed to something that he wanted to do.
Yeah I do agree with that. But whether the statement is willingly or unwillingly made, the plans that he gives in them will still be the same. Don't want to judge the man on his naff PR skills, would rather judge him on his plans.

Diggerthedog- it's not an investment if he puts money in without getting anything back. That's charity. He would want to have controlling interest in the club so that he can have a say in how his own money is used. Which is fair to be honest. And there is nothing wrong with a businessman taking over. If this club could be turned back into a self-sustaining business that allows us to grow then I think thats great!
Diggerthedog

Who says he wont buy up and rinse it dry? Like I said he is a business man he will be here to make money or leave us when he runs up debts (see his other ventures). I see no other outcome.

Also why pay instalments, you want to buy the club them put it in upfront, people are forgetting this pay structure. The consortium are putting up as much money as Tamplin in the first year, the rest is a promise. Dodgy.
NBDag

Well we just can't possibly say that he will or won't buy us and rinse it dry. But that's not really any different with any other takeover of any club. Businessmen make money from making businesses profitable. And almost all businessmen have had failed ventures. Almost everyone fails at something before they succeed. It's narrow-minded to only assume that this can only end badly. Especially when we all know bugger all about his plans. He needs to come out and be open about everything so we can truly know whether he's a good idea or not. Also the rest of his investment would not be a promise, it would be a contract.
Diggerthedog

NBDag wrote:Well we just can't possibly say that he will or won't buy us and rinse it dry. But that's not really any different with any other takeover of any club. Businessmen make money from making businesses profitable. And almost all businessmen have had failed ventures. Almost everyone fails at something before they succeed. It's narrow-minded to only assume that this can only end badly. Especially when we all know bugger all about his plans. He needs to come out and be open about everything so we can truly know whether he's a good idea or not. Also the rest of his investment would not be a promise, it would be a contract.
A contract? What we handover 80% of the club and get nothing after the first instalment who is the contract with if he is the owner? Once he owns a majority he can do whatever he likes. Call it Narrow minded I call it reality.

Like many have said on here its a short term fix, we got promoted before without a sugar daddy and can do it again. Money does not guarantee success which our MD think is the only option if we want to compete.
Voice of reason

NBDag wrote:Well we just can't possibly say that he will or won't buy us and rinse it dry. But that's not really any different with any other takeover of any club. Businessmen make money from making businesses profitable. And almost all businessmen have had failed ventures. Almost everyone fails at something before they succeed. It's narrow-minded to only assume that this can only end badly. Especially when we all know bugger all about his plans. He needs to come out and be open about everything so we can truly know whether he's a good idea or not. Also the rest of his investment would not be a promise, it would be a contract.
Actually the vast majority of businessman I know have not left a trail of bust companies with unpaid debts behind them
In fact it's an offence to trade while insolvent
The point that several people have previously made is that the guy being championed by Thommo is personally criticised in at least one Receiver's report over his conduct in the failure of the business
The Receiver goes into detail
This is all in the public domain and can be viewed for free on the Companies House website
Mike the Dagger

"If you know your 'istory...."

Telford United, then playing in the Football Conference, experienced severe financial difficulties towards the end of the 2003–04 season following the collapse of the Miras Contracts business of chairman and sole shareholder Andy Shaw. The club went into administration, and although supporters raised around £50,000 in two months, the club's debts totalled over £4 million, resulting in liquidation on 27 May 2004.

------

In 1992 Max Griggs bought Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds football clubs. He successfully merged them into one as Rushden & Diamonds football club, which enjoyed league status for a time. One of the stands in the club's ground was called the Airwair stand (a type of DM shoe). Max Griggs sold the club to the fans in 2005 for £1. The club went into administration six years later.

------

Hornchurch F.C. went into administration during the 2004/05 season, after backers Carthium Ltd. declared bankruptcy with debts of over £7 million. The club announced that there were no longer funds able to sustain the club, and the club was liquidated after a proposed CVA was rejected. At the time the club folded it was managed by Tony Choules, previously of Northwood. A new club, A.F.C. Hornchurch, has been created, and they currently play in the Isthmian League Premier Division.

------

Huge tax debts buried Halifax Town A.F.C. after almost 100 years as a football club. New figures put to a reconvened creditors meeting in May 2008 showed the cash-strapped Shaymen owed over £800,000 to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. The Revenue refused any deal and that effectively finished the club – already over £2 million in the red. Administrators had been trying to broker a rescue package but speaking after five hours of talks that left liquidation near inevitable, administrator Rob Sadler said: "Halifax Town will probably perish." It was originally thought the club owed the taxman around £500,000, which might have left scope for a deal. But the news that it owed £814,000 meant that even if all the other creditors had accepted the 2.5p-in-the-pound offer originally on the table it would not have been enough.

-------

On May 14 Chester's financial problems continued with the club's entry into voluntary administration. In June the club's administrators revealed that Chester City owed £7m to its creditors, including £4m to owner Stephen Vaughan and over £900,000 to HMRC. However, Vaughan bought the club under a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), for a payment of 15p in the pound. The club's financial problems continued to mount, and a prohibition order was issued on the Deva Stadium after police withdrew their services after the non-payment of bills. On 9 February, Chester were scheduled to have an away fixture at Forest Green Rovers, but the club's coach providers refused to depart from Chester until they were paid in advance. The match was postponed less than three hours before kick-off. The final act of Chester City's existence came in the High Court in London. HMRC had issued a winding up petition against Chester City, and at a hearing on 8 March 2010 the club chose not to defend itself against that petition. In a hearing lasting less than one minute, Chester City FC were wound up, and the club's 125-year history ended.
Auntie Merge

Good post Mike the Dagger.

Let's not forget Scarborough, Hereford, Darlington, Stockport, and even Boston.
The list of clubs ending up as AFC or similar is endless. All had a similar pattern to what is being proposed here.
NBDag

Mike the Dagger- Pretty pointless writing all that out tbh. It doesn't negate from what I've said.

I said there is no way that we can knowingly say that our club will end up like that. Unless you have a time machine and have been to the future to see it for yourself, that is. And to be honest with you Mike, I don't think you have a time machine. There is no rule that says if a football club is bought it will always be destroyed by the new owner. As Thommo quite fairly pointed out, it has worked in the past, just as it has also failed in the past.

It has been said a load of times in this thread now, he needs to release a clear statement outlining his intentions for the club. Then we can either support him or want him as far away from the club as possible.
dagger4eva

NBDagger ... the trouble is, the club very much APPEAR to be keeping this a club / members matter and not particularly taking supporters feelings into account at all. Hence, id be very surprised if such a statement (to supporters was released to us)

Thommos is of the view the members will be voting on it so whatever they say goes.
Richie

dagger4eva wrote:NBDagger ... the trouble is, the club very much APPEAR to be keeping this a club / members matter and not particularly taking supporters feelings into account at all. Hence, id be very surprised if such a statement (to supporters was released to us)

Thommos is of the view the members will be voting on it so whatever they say goes.
Surely that's the whole point of a members club
dagger4eva

Fair play BUT even with a members club (of which we have approximately 70 members) I still think the vast majority (supporters) should have some say / input / consideration into such matters .....
IanC

God your not wrong mate,but let's be honest some of our supporters.Well ya know where I'm coming from,ya wouldn't let em pick a colour to do ya bog and I'm afraid that's what the people in charge are working on.
IanC

For the likes of you know who them 70 members are gonna be easy pickings.Hopefully I'm wrong and they'll work it out.
Mike the Dagger

NBDag wrote:Mike the Dagger- Pretty pointless writing all that out tbh. It doesn't negate from what I've said.

I said there is no way that we can knowingly say that our club will end up like that. Unless you have a time machine and have been to the future to see it for yourself, that is. And to be honest with you Mike, I don't think you have a time machine. There is no rule that says if a football club is bought it will always be destroyed by the new owner. As Thommo quite fairly pointed out, it has worked in the past, just as it has also failed in the past.

It has been said a load of times in this thread now, he needs to release a clear statement outlining his intentions for the club. Then we can either support him or want him as far away from the club as possible.
Maybe all the disasters that have resulted from "money men" with big egos taking over football clubs are just co-incidences.

I wonder what Dave Andrews view of all this is?
dannythedagger

Whether you believe Lee Goodwin's opinion is right or wrong, you cannot question his bottle to stand up and be counted against Thommo's dictatorship and anybody who knows anybody that works at the club will confirm Thommos "methods of management".

Steve Thompson has admittedly done some favorable things at the club in the past but in recent years has made some diabolic commercial decisions but has still managed to obtain a very comfortable living from a small football club as well as acquiring a small property portfolio. Had we been relegated 2 years ago the realization of the current financial position would have been more apparent. He has managed to create a censored dictatorship (like North Korea) with his puppet board....yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.

The current dissension at the club has stemmed from current and ex board members who have joined forces with the Goodwins to fight for change and bring the club into the 21st century. Me and many friends believe the way forward is for the present board to resign due to their lack of focus, direction and business acumen. The club needs to become a viable concern to attract the right people who are fit and proper persons to hold company directorships and love Dagenham and Redbridge as much as we do. I have been going to this club since my Dad took me at the age of 5 watching John Still's first reign as manager and it sickens me to think how promotion, money and mismanagement has completely ripped the soul and family feel of the club.

We do not need spray tan plastic Essex men running the club and projecting their own vain image. Let them stick to kids park football as it is far easier to walk away when they become bored.

My vote definitely goes with the consortium....SACK THE BOARD and bring the good old days back.