Where did it all go wrong?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Alan

Looking at the squad we started with, we wasted budget on:

Partridge - paid off barely a month into the season
Nosworthy- legs had gone, a liability who retired before the end of the season
Dikamona - a panic buy who gives no reassurance to anyone
McClure - came with a reputation for being injured more often than not and lived up to it
Boucaud - an absolute luxury player and the worst choice of captain I could imagine
Chambers - forever delays getting off the shot or pass, until he is tackled
Gayle - why sign him if you won't play him no matter what?

Wayne was unlucky with Richards getting injured, but he clearly didn't fancy Raymond (who I think looks good) and Labadie was suspended for months. He didn't fancy Doidge either. So you look at the spine of the team and we started the season with and we didn't have a decent centre half, or anyone to win the ball in midfield or any one to win balls or work defence up top. It's no wonder we struggled, is it?

As for what came in under Still, Worrall was very good, didn't rate Hyam. Was never too convinced by Muldoon, but Cash looks like he will be a good player. Of those we signed, Hawkins looks some way off. Gutteridge - has he still got the legs?
Adrian

I think that sums it up quite well.
From day 1 of this season we just didn't have anything like a proper team, let alone a proper squad.

Once you start that way, we were never going to recover. Still had to plug the gaps, didn't really improve anything much but I don't think anyone could have done.
NBDag

Should also add the board waiting too long to sack Burnett. And both managers we've had this season not managing to get the best out of someone who is now considered to be one of the stars in a good League 1 team.
ARNU

One thing WB failed to do was create an atmosphere of being a "Dagger". He moved dug outs and pretty much fell out with the fans quite early on. He never dealt with criticism, in fact quite an angry man. The Wycombe episode where we won but he slagged
Off the team anyway was his biggest mistake. One of the stewards said after matches Wayne would have all his hangers on getting in on freebies partying in the dressing room eating pizzas. Just an air of arrogance not seen before. He was his own worst enemy and eventually had to go. We weren't down and out then tho and I'm sure the club thought bringing in stilly was an instant fix. So did we to be fair. A few of the players aren't up to it clearly but I don't think I've seen any lack of effort. I think the club has no real ambition and when still leaves we will probably just take Curry on as manager without interviewing anyone else. It is time for great change, but nostalgia will always reign supreme while we continue to have this little club mentality. Next season we are arguably a big club. Complete overhaul needed top to bottom. Won't happen!
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
NickMurphy

Does anyone know how many players we've used this season in total?

I just hope that we break the 30 point mark, I don't want us to be worse than that Darlington team of 09/10. Then again, in some ways, I suppose it doesn't really matter if we break it or not because we have in effect been far worse than them.
Daggertilidie

Lost four players at the start of the season that was the heart of Dagenham. Replaced with poor players a manager that should never had been appointed in the first place.Then we keep him far to long .poor coaching staff at senior level on top of this no captain no characters in the dressing room .gutless board afraid of spending money to keep us in the league and then we bring back a manager that left the club in the Religation zone and did not give a ******.All round a mess roll on the forum I can't ******** wait.
shoreyda2nd

Am sure that the words 'Howell' and 'Doe' will be mentioned at the fans forum. Losing them (having already lost the likes of Abu and Bingham) and not being able to adequately replace them was the beginning of the end.
We all saw the difference that James Dunne made to our midfield in his short time at the club. Luke is the same kind of player, the kind that we have desperately missed for 80% of the season.
Similar story with Scott Doe..
Alan

NickMurphy wrote:Does anyone know how many players we've used this season in total?
37, in the league.
JFJBENSTEAD

I just feel hollow at the moment. I genuinely fear for the future of the club.

It went wrong in the Summer. We didn't bring in players early enough and, as a result, were left with the dregs others didn't want.

To be honest, any other season and we would've been mathematically down earlier.

I think JS is right, too many of our current squad and not the young, hungry players that would take real pride in playing for us.

I'm choked - I really can't see us getting back into the Football League...
Dagdale

The only one I'm pretty sure will be here next season is Oliver Hawkins, because a/ where he came from (a NL side) and b/ heard he signed a 2 year deal like same as JS. Cheltenham Town have brilliantly just returned back and completely overhauled their whole squad from the end of their relegation last term, let us follow suit.
dagger4eva

Its quite a simple answer if you ask me....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32438748
stanton101

dagger4eva wrote:Its quite a simple answer if you ask me....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32438748
Can't argue with that one, he did a fine job in sowing the seeds of relegation and JS has finished what he started quite beautifully.