What a waste of money....

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
TomMc

In defence of Wayne (I know, I know, heaven forbid) Hines wasn't scheduled to be out for the whole season, only for the first couple of months (which fits with the usual kind of timescales for the injury he suffered), the fact he had an injury set back wasn't really foreseeable.
Mike the Dagger

TomMc wrote:In defence of Wayne (I know, I know, heaven forbid) Hines wasn't scheduled to be out for the whole season, only for the first couple of months (which fits with the usual kind of timescales for the injury he suffered), the fact he had an injury set back wasn't really foreseeable.
Other than the fact that he seems to be made of glass!
TomMc

Mike the Dagger wrote: Other than the fact that he seems to be made of glass!
Now maybe, but when we offered him the new deal? He played 33 games for Bradford the season before he signed for us, and played pretty much every game for us up until he got seriously injured in that training match with Cambridge in March(ish). We expected him to be back in October-time, so we (sensibly) offered him a contract weighted towards appearances (albeit after he'd looked elsewhere over that summer). I accept the club/Wayne have got a fair few things wrong during Burnett's tenure, but at the time the deal appeared to be a good one. This is a player that still had dreams of playing higher up, and even moved back in with his family and rented out his own place when he came to us so that he could afford to try and realise that dream again. It's not like he was a journey-man looking to fleece us for as much as possible.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing.
RampantDuke

TomMc wrote:
Now maybe, but when we offered him the new deal? He played 33 games for Bradford the season before he signed for us, and played pretty much every game for us up until he got seriously injured in that training match with Cambridge in March(ish). We expected him to be back in October-time, so we (sensibly) offered him a contract weighted towards appearances (albeit after he'd looked elsewhere over that summer). I accept the club/Wayne have got a fair few things wrong during Burnett's tenure, but at the time the deal appeared to be a good one. This is a player that still had dreams of playing higher up, and even moved back in with his family and rented out his own place when he came to us so that he could afford to try and realise that dream again. It's not like he was a journey-man looking to fleece us for as much as possible.

I agree with this. We had a quality player on our books who on his day could change a game. He was superb in the first half an hour against Newport this season (before fizzling out admittedly) and we knew what he was capable of but for a very low cost we took a gamble. It hasn't paid off but if you were in Wayne's shoes you would have done the same. As Tom said hindsight is 20/20 vision.
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
Diggerthedog

RampantDuke wrote:
TomMc wrote:

I agree with this. We had a quality player on our books who on his day could change a game. He was superb in the first half an hour against Newport this season (before fizzling out admittedly) and we knew what he was capable of but for a very low cost we took a gamble. It hasn't paid off but if you were in Wayne's shoes you would have done the same. As Tom said hindsight is 20/20 vision.
Or if you know the budget is tight do you take the risk on someone who was out for several months the previous year? Be like me employing someone with a poor sick record, thanks but no thanks.
dagger4eva

The budget isn't just tight its "the lowest / 3rd lowest in the league" - depending on which interview you listen to.

To fritter away X amount of cash on 1 bloke who's managed just over 500 minutes of league football in 2 years for a club of our size / budget is almost unforgivable......... even if he did have a good HALF HOUR v Newport ;)
Alan

But as Tom says, at the time we gave him his contract in August 2014 he was only expected to miss the first 2 months of the season, so a largely appearance based deal for a bloke who could unlock defences was a reasonable gamble for Wayne to take.
Diggerthedog

Did we not resign him after his first one year deal after he had spent half the first season out injured with a two year deal? :roll:
ARNU

Both parties agree on terms including whether or not a player gets injured or dropped or whatever.I don't remember anyone saying what a shit signing he was when he was playing.

Nobody is saying Zavon is faking injury either are they ? He got hurt whilst on D&R duties and its not he's fault we are shite for the last 5 years .When he played he was largely good but I think after the 1st injury never recovered that form.He'd be shite at hoofball as well anyway.Hes a footballer don't you know LOL!

Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
TomMc

Diggerthedog wrote: Or if you know the budget is tight do you take the risk on someone who was out for several months the previous year? Be like me employing someone with a poor sick record, thanks but no thanks.
More like re-employing someone who never missed a day until they missed a couple of months over one bout of sickness, then agreed to come back on a reduced wage as they're not sure when they'll return.
Diggerthedog wrote:Did we not resign him after his first one year deal after he had spent half the first season out injured with a two year deal? :roll:
He missed just the last two months of the season didn't he? Got injured in March? Hence why we signed Chambers.
dagger4eva wrote:To fritter away X amount of cash on 1 bloke who's managed just over 500 minutes of league football in 2 years for a club of our size / budget is almost unforgivable......... even if he did have a good HALF HOUR v Newport ;)
But as I say that's with hindsight, we all thought it was a great deal when Zav re-signed, and it made common sense.

And the good thing about search on a forum is that it's easy to show people are being slightly hypocritical:

Diggerthedog: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=487&start=10#p5638

dagger4eva: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=487#p5626
Adrian

TomMc wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote: Or if you know the budget is tight do you take the risk on someone who was out for several months the previous year? Be like me employing someone with a poor sick record, thanks but no thanks.
More like re-employing someone who never missed a day until they missed a couple of months over one bout of sickness, then agreed to come back on a reduced wage as they're not sure when they'll return.
Diggerthedog wrote:Did we not resign him after his first one year deal after he had spent half the first season out injured with a two year deal? :roll:
He missed just the last two months of the season didn't he? Got injured in March? Hence why we signed Chambers.
dagger4eva wrote:To fritter away X amount of cash on 1 bloke who's managed just over 500 minutes of league football in 2 years for a club of our size / budget is almost unforgivable......... even if he did have a good HALF HOUR v Newport ;)
But as I say that's with hindsight, we all thought it was a great deal when Zav re-signed, and it made common sense.

And the good thing about search on a forum is that it's easy to show people are being slightly hypocritical:

I'm fairly certain that not everyone thought it was a great deal and common sense.
Richie

From what I recall we even had him checked out at St George's Park or some other high quality facility. All the signs were he'd be back way before Xmas before a setback hit.
dagger4eva

Funnily enough I was also very excited when Burnett took over the reigns from Still.

Id heard nothing but good things about him from a couple of mates of mine who both played under him at Fisher.

Know how that one turned out
ARNU

I never thought that we should have signed him and wasn't very happy at the time about it however, we did sign him and both the club and player agreed terms. With hindsight I was correct, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. You may question the manager and the board if you want but you can't blame the player.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Diggerthedog

TomMc wrote:

That's when we first signed him, i'm talking about when we gave him a two year deal whilst injured.

Sad that you spend time searching the forum to prove people wrong who actually go to watch games spending there hard earned cash to do so when you don't even bother anymore....