That Second Saturday in January

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

I was alarmed to hear that the memorable day we had in January up at Everton may be one of the last days that a Club like ours will be able to enjoy.

Because of fixture congestion I heard on the radio today that talks are going on with proposals to drastically alter the competition.

Amongst things being discussed are making FA Cup ties midweek with no replays.

Another blow to Clubs further down the pyramid. The fact that this once World famous cup competition is now viewed by the organisers as a secondary competition proves that those charged with running the game really do know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

I am the only one who thinks this game will kill itself by its own greed
ARNU

Premier league match tickets are a farce,hence we go to Dagenham.Catch 22 though.No money at the bottom end so poor players and struggling debt ridden clubs.British players cost too much so top teams full up with foreigners.Regualrly watch prem games with no Englishmen on the field.

Greed already won Sussex.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
steeevooo

I agree Sussex - I was somewhat dismayed when I read those suggestions too. The rationale for the suggestion is simply to assist the teams involved in European competition to progress in Europe (and therefore earn even more money). Sod the multitude of teams involved in the FA Cup that are not participating in Europe, lets further attempt to line the pockets of the elite few. Sod the lower league clubs earning the opportunity for a windfall and the huge excitement that such FA Cup ties can generate for them - it is too much of an inconvenience for the Premier League teams. We must look after the rich don't forget.
BB-Dagger

Same story the world over isn't it!
The rich get richer while the poor get poorer, sometimes I wish that the greed of premiership teams and players would cause the whole system to implode leaving them to find out what the real world is like,
Alan

It will be the death of the FA Cup.

And of course the premier league sides hoover up all the young talent into their academies. Was interested by this piece on that topic:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 42336.html
Mike the Dagger

Not bothered by them scrapping two leg League Cup semis, better to pick a neutral ground, but they seriously need to stop messing with the FA Cup apart from scrapping Wembley semi finals that is.

Leave it where it is and how it already works and let the top clubs, who have big enough squads to cope anyway, make the call whether they want to play "weakened" teams or not and take the risk they get beaten. Madness is that Liverpool playing weakened teams ended up playing 4 games to get knocked out in the 4th round when they might have played 2 and been in the 5th round had they taken it seriously.

The big clubs love to mess with it for their own benefit though, have done for years... http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... id=8312483
SUSSEX DAGGER

Mike the Dagger wrote:Not bothered by them scrapping two leg League Cup semis, better to pick a neutral ground, but they seriously need to stop messing with the FA Cup apart from scrapping Wembley semi finals that is.

Leave it where it is and how it already works and let the top clubs, who have big enough squads to cope anyway, make the call whether they want to play "weakened" teams or not and take the risk they get beaten. Madness is that Liverpool playing weakened teams ended up playing 4 games to get knocked out in the 4th round when they might have played 2 and been in the 5th round had they taken it seriously.

The big clubs love to mess with it for their own benefit though, have done for years... http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... id=8312483
Another blow Mike to this great competition was when they gave Champion league entry to the winners of the Ueffa League.

Liverpool , Manchester United and to a lesser extent this year Spurs when it comes to Cup competitions are surely going to prioritise the Ueffa league , the rewards are that much greater.

What I would like to see is the League Cup winners and FA Cup winners play the Community shield each year with the winners going through to Champion league and dump the 4th place.

Only radical ideas like this will get the greatest cup competition back to where it was and would also elevate the Status of the League Cup.

In the case of duel winners then just revert back to the status quo
rebeldagger

I gave up watching premier league about 15 years ago for this reason. Was fed up with all the money and greed in the game.

I hear there is also talks of bringing in a winter break too. Now that could have some advantages to it, yet I fear they'll sacrifice those FA Cups to fit it all in.
Paul from Barking

If I had control over the format of the FA Cup, I would - seeing as they are in a different league - have the Championship clubs come in at the 2nd round stage. This would effectively double the number of non league clubs being allowed toplay in R1 and mean that they (the non league clubs) need only win 1 game to perhaps get a big fish like Middlesbrough, Wolves, Ipswich, Nottm Forest, etc, etc.

We all know a Premier League side will win it anyway and this would be just one more game (along with perhaps a replay [because I would keep them all]) for 2nd tier sides but more money perhaps further down the pyramid.