The Journey Is Nearly Over

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DI Mike Dashwood

So unless there is now a sudden and totally unexpected upturn in form, our 9th season in the Football League will be our last for now.

People will no doubt be debating how it has ended like this, and how we go about trying to move forward again, but I think people should take a moment to look at what has been, in footballing terms, a miracle for the last 9 Years or so.

Based on size and finances we are a mid table Conference Club. But through the combined efforts of players, management, board and supporters, this Club has had 9 seasons in the Football League. 9 seasons as part of the magical 92. This has been done on crowds of less than 2,000 (on average), with no sugar daddy funding the Club but risking it's future, with no major debt to take with us to the Conference, and with a stadium that while not huge or spectacular is built to the standards and requirements needed for a Club in the lower echelons of the Football League (or the Conference).

In a footballing world where money dictates most things, this is nothing short of a modern day footballing miracle. Wimbledon's run to the top division, Wigan's foray to the Premier League, Leicester's title bid this season. I would put much of our last 9 year's up there with that.

So there have been some lows but there has been some highs as well. A near miss in 08/09, a promotion in 09/10, a 9th place finish in 13/14 as well as that one season in League One where we saw our little Club go out and complete on an even keel with Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton and Brighton.

So while everyone is blaming John Still or Wayne Burnett or Steve Thompson or Dave the Plumber, I would ask people to just stand back and reflect for a minute. All these people, and many many more, played a part in what has been an amazing journey over the last 9 or 10 years. People are saying this is the worst team we have had since this that and the other, but for those who saw games in the Ryman League and the lower end of the Conference for many Years, they will know that really we have had it amazingly good for 9 years.

And so while the four men I have listed above, and many others, have made mistakes, are not perfect and have done things we all don't agree with, they have all done an awful lot, in different ways to make the last 9 years generally enjoyable.

Our Club will still exist next Year and will still exist for many Years to come. Going down is not good. People will lose their jobs, the Club will need to re-adjust, but unless there are a lot of things we are not aware of, it will continue as a Conference Club. The people involved again now, on and off the pitch, know the Conference, they know what they need to do, and they know the Club. Yes they have made mistakes, but in my view they all deserve the chance to have another go at making it all happen again. I also know that they all care very very deeply about the Club.

So enjoy the next 16 games for what they are. Take in the goals on the Football League show as you won't have it next Year!!! Read the reports and scores in the Times on a Monday, as you won't have it next Year!!! Maybe go to an away game even if you don't normally go, and support the boys and say you went to watch little Dagenham and Redbridge play away in the Football League.

In Years to come people may talk of this little Club who on crowds of 2,000 played in the Football League for 9 years!!! Or they may not do as we may well come back one day soon and do it all again. Just enjoy it while it lasts!!!
ARNU

Good post dashers.

Listen.....There is no doubting this club battles beyond its means and has no right to be in this league statistically,financially or otherwise.I do think a great many very soon forgot the hurdles that faced this club every day since promotion and before.Even little ol me .Hence my strong feeling that WB got a very tough time thru out his tenure when the tables reflected healthy finishes during his time.Even John Still has to/had to work within strict financial boundaries and with some players who'd struggle to get in a conference side anywhere else have not really had a fair crack either.

Now that we look to be going down,I am not actually that bothered to be honest.So those that thought you'd get rid of me when that happened are gonna be very disappointed.I find it waring these last few seasons since Lg1 relegation to watch a team basically bounce along the bottom of this league week in week out.Maybe that spirit that saw us enter the league might just return in the conference or lower if need be.

Does it mean we have to be happy at no wins at home all season or when we lose again ?? Course not ,that's football innit !
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
BB-Dagger

Good post DJ, I have had similar thoughts, I will still be there next season wherever we are, I will still have the odd moan when we have a shit performance but I will be there, somehow I think some won't!
I've been watching Dagenham since the early 70's and seen some ups and downs, my only concern is that if we don't make make a quick return we will end up being just another mid table conference side for the foreseeable future.
Auntie Merge

Great post Dashers.

I'm gutted about it all, but I will still be there if we go down. I'll still be wanting us to win every game 6-0 - hopefully it will happen a few more times than recently.

Proud to be a Dagger.

PS - if we go down please can they change the dugouts back? #brokenrecord
admin
Site Admin

I'm probably going to upset a few people with this post but I think it needs to be said.

It's a good post you put on and obviously a lot of thought has gone into it but I have to say I strongly disagree with what you said.

How many times have I heard:

- We're a small club
- We've done well to be where we are now
- We've got one of the lowest budgets in the league
- Every year we stay in the football league is an achievement

I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm fed up of hearing it. We should be going in with the attitude of, we are football league club and one that has been in the football league for 9 years. Look at some of the things we've achieved in that time. We should be mixing in with these clubs and not approaching everything as second class citizens. We should be putting everything into staying in the football league. If we get relegated, then we could be there for a while. It's a hard division to get out of and there are some sleeping giants in that league. So personally I think we shouldn't be conceding defeat just yet.

I'm not writing this to have a go, I'm writing this for the right intentions, to do best by our club.
DI Mike Dashwood

I wouldnt worry about being rude, I have thick enough skin not to be offended by what is said in a football forum.

I would actually argue that in a way your post kind of reinforces my point anyway. Out of the four points you hear so often that you have listed, which ones would you argue are not true?? I would say they all are, which is kind of the point.

I am sure the players and manager haven't conceded things are over anyway, but what would you suggest is done to try and stop relegation which wouldn't put the Club at some sort of mid or long term risk?? What would you have done in January that wouldn't have put the club at some sort of risk??

Plenty of other clubs of a similar size and stature to us have tried to spend their way to safety. Take a look at the non league paper on a Sunday and the tables several steps down are full of such examples. Hereford, Stockport, Scarborough, AFC Rushden etc etc. Others such as Hornchurch tried to achieve what we have through cash and never even got that far.

No doubt you will argue that it is not just down to money, and we have proved that for the last ten years, but at some point most clubs return to their natural level and in some ways, as others have said, the
Chance to win a few games may actually be something some people look forward to!!!
Diggerthedog

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:So unless there is now a sudden and totally unexpected upturn in form, our 9th season in the Football League will be our last for now.

People will no doubt be debating how it has ended like this, and how we go about trying to move forward again, but I think people should take a moment to look at what has been, in footballing terms, a miracle for the last 9 Years or so.

Based on size and finances we are a mid table Conference Club. But through the combined efforts of players, management, board and supporters, this Club has had 9 seasons in the Football League. 9 seasons as part of the magical 92. This has been done on crowds of less than 2,000 (on average), with no sugar daddy funding the Club but risking it's future, with no major debt to take with us to the Conference, and with a stadium that while not huge or spectacular is built to the standards and requirements needed for a Club in the lower echelons of the Football League (or the Conference).

In a footballing world where money dictates most things, this is nothing short of a modern day footballing miracle. Wimbledon's run to the top division, Wigan's foray to the Premier League, Leicester's title bid this season. I would put much of our last 9 year's up there with that.

So there have been some lows but there has been some highs as well. A near miss in 08/09, a promotion in 09/10, a 9th place finish in 13/14 as well as that one season in League One where we saw our little Club go out and complete on an even keel with Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton and Brighton.

So while everyone is blaming John Still or Wayne Burnett or Steve Thompson or Dave the Plumber, I would ask people to just stand back and reflect for a minute. All these people, and many many more, played a part in what has been an amazing journey over the last 9 or 10 years. People are saying this is the worst team we have had since this that and the other, but for those who saw games in the Ryman League and the lower end of the Conference for many Years, they will know that really we have had it amazingly good for 9 years.

And so while the four men I have listed above, and many others, have made mistakes, are not perfect and have done things we all don't agree with, they have all done an awful lot, in different ways to make the last 9 years generally enjoyable.

Our Club will still exist next Year and will still exist for many Years to come. Going down is not good. People will lose their jobs, the Club will need to re-adjust, but unless there are a lot of things we are not aware of, it will continue as a Conference Club. The people involved again now, on and off the pitch, know the Conference, they know what they need to do, and they know the Club. Yes they have made mistakes, but in my view they all deserve the chance to have another go at making it all happen again. I also know that they all care very very deeply about the Club.

So enjoy the next 16 games for what they are. Take in the goals on the Football League show as you won't have it next Year!!! Read the reports and scores in the Times on a Monday, as you won't have it next Year!!! Maybe go to an away game even if you don't normally go, and support the boys and say you went to watch little Dagenham and Redbridge play away in the Football League.

In Years to come people may talk of this little Club who on crowds of 2,000 played in the Football League for 9 years!!! Or they may not do as we may well come back one day soon and do it all again. Just enjoy it while it lasts!!!
Wigan bought there way to the premier league with whelans money. I agree with most of your post except the fact that Thommo is just a bar manager well out of his depth. Does he love the club and works hard? Of course but let's not let that get in there way of his down right stubbornness is one of the real reasons the club has not moved forward and is now going down. He himself should have realised that a long time ago and let someone else younger with more ideas and actual business acumen run the club.

This is the worse possible season for us to go down with West Ham moving, I look at Torquay and become very worried as they actually still get bigger crowds then us. We take debt with us that shiny away stand won't be paid by 25 Braintree fans.

It's been a great journey but at least we might win a few games next season.
Lcbdagger

Not wishing to drag the tone down further... but will us going down really change the results overnight? We haven't won a single Home game this season... is someone going to convince me even the mid placed teams in the Conference are worse than Stevenage, Yeovil, Hartlepool, York, Newport this season??

If we go in to next season still winless at Home across a whole season, we could be following Aldershot and ending up nearer the bottom of the league next season than top
DI Mike Dashwood

Do people really think that is the case with Thommo?? He is stubborn yes, but what about arranging the funding and investment for two new stands in the last 15 years?? And my understanding is most of that cost is now paid and done (I may be wrong though there).

It's also interesting that people talk about new blood and new ideas. That was kind of what the Club did when Dave Andrews moved aside and Dave Bennett, a younger guy with a very successful business record came in, but since that point people have moaned
About it??

I just think as soon as things go wrong, or don't go as well, people look for blame and scapegoats rather than realising we are actually going to be back where it all started. As you say, it may be enjoyable to have a run of wins at some point (although no guarantee that will happen)
admin
Site Admin

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:I wouldnt worry about being rude, I have thick enough skin not to be offended by what is said in a football forum.

I would actually argue that in a way your post kind of reinforces my point anyway. Out of the four points you hear so often that you have listed, which ones would you argue are not true?? I would say they all are, which is kind of the point.

I am sure the players and manager haven't conceded things are over anyway, but what would you suggest is done to try and stop relegation which wouldn't put the Club at some sort of mid or long term risk?? What would you have done in January that wouldn't have put the club at some sort of risk??

Plenty of other clubs of a similar size and stature to us have tried to spend their way to safety. Take a look at the non league paper on a Sunday and the tables several steps down are full of such examples. Hereford, Stockport, Scarborough, AFC Rushden etc etc. Others such as Hornchurch tried to achieve what we have through cash and never even got that far.

No doubt you will argue that it is not just down to money, and we have proved that for the last ten years, but at some point most clubs return to their natural level and in some ways, as others have said, the
Chance to win a few games may actually be something some people look forward to!!!
It's a very difficult job to do at Dagenham. There would of been one or two things I would have done differently. I would of parted company with Burnett sooner as I think a lot of the damage has been done by him, however you could argue we were waiting for John Still to become available again. The biggest thing I would of done differently is, not approach everything by saying "look where we've come from, we've done well be where we are" etc. I think that shows a negative mindset and we need to be of the mindset of, we deserve to be here and we are on a level playing field with the other teams in our league. So my biggest issue is mindset.

I agree with you on one thing. I wouldn't just want to chuck money at everything and cause the club long term damage. I'd rather support a conference club than go bust obviously.

What I think is, as a club, we should move forward as a football league club, show ambition and fight for what is deservably ours. Its about approaching things with the right mindset.
Diggerthedog

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:Do people really think that is the case with Thommo?? He is stubborn yes, but what about arranging the funding and investment for two new stands in the last 15 years?? And my understanding is most of that cost is now paid and done (I may be wrong though there).

It's also interesting that people talk about new blood and new ideas. That was kind of what the Club did when Dave Andrews moved aside and Dave Bennett, a younger guy with a very successful business record came in, but since that point people have moaned
About it??

I just think as soon as things go wrong, or don't go as well, people look for blame and scapegoats rather than realising we are actually going to be back where it all started. As you say, it may be enjoyable to have a run of wins at some point (although no guarantee that will happen)
So no one else could have gained that funding or had more better ideas? I emailed Thommo after accy away and told him to sack Burnett he told me I was completely wrong, says it all really.

I'm not looking for a scapegoat just saying how I feel due to our predicament it's all about opinions and mine is Thommo has made a complete pigsear of the most recent major decision. Other board members wanted Burnett gone but Thommo refused only agreed as soon as the heat was turned up on him.
Mike the Dagger

Agree with most of the sentiments here, but not the title of the thread. The journey will continue whatever, and the Daggers will be back next season even if they are playing in the National League. It isn't that long since we were celebrating promotion to the Conference really, people forget where we actually come from sometimes.

If we go back there, which is looking likely but no means certain yet, the club has grown massively since its last foray, and with the benefit of the parachute payments should be in a position to consilidate back in that league for a run at coming back up some time in the future once we have things back on an even keel. Even if we do end up back in "the Conference" for a while, it won't be the end of the world. It will be competitive, and we will be up against some big names here and there.

It would be great to see the team actually win a few games here and there too, I have almost forgotten what that is like.
steeevooo

Excellent initial post Dashers. I well remember, once the euphoria of getting promoted had sunk in, taking the opinion that even if we lasted only one season in the Football Legaue that it was one season more than I ever thought I would see our club do. Having our hearts broken by the Bo$ton scandal and then the Donny play-off final, it really did seem as though our chances had gone, especially with the continued influx of ex-League teams with larger budgets, crowds etc. I well remember being at Darlington away on the last day of that first season, crowd desperately waiting with the players as we waiting for full time scores to come in and see whether we had survived or not. Yes, we've survived 9 seasons in the FL, and had some bloody amazing times, times that were utterly unthnkable, but have we ever really been established[ as a league club? I'd argue not, since we have always been struggling to compete off the field, and most teams go through a purple patch where they overperform for a couple of seasons (see teams like Barnsley playing in the Premier League, Yeovil playing in the Championship as other examples). To be established you wouldn't be struggling to stay up, and we've had those struggles in a greater percentage of our FL seasons that would be expected from an established club (even if ultimately a mid-table position was obtained due to the tightness of the league).

However, I fully agree with Mike above - the journey is not nearly over, it just merely continues with another chapter.
DI Mike Dashwood

I think maybe the title is not great then, but the sentiment I was trying to get across was the same as Steveooo and Mike. We have been here before, it was unexpected when we went up, it was even more unexpected when we went up to League One, it was unexpected really to last 9 seasons in the FL!!!

And the fact that it has not worked out this Year should not lead to blame or anyone thinking the World is going to end, it should be seen as a fresh opportunity in many ways.

While the Conference is obviously a tough League, I don't think there are as many big clubs in there as there was 3 or 4 years back in all honesty. Stilly knows the League, the Club knows the League and I think we will do ok. Stable well run Clubs have bounced back before. Barnet have come up three times, Cheltenham look like coming back up, Macc have competed at top end since they went down. Those that have struggled have been Clubs who have gone down with the baggage of huge wage bills, large debt or sugar daddies looking to run away from the car crash. We don't really have those.

I actually feel like our situation has ended up a bit like that episode of OFAH where Del and Rodney find the time-piece and flog it for millions. At first it is brilliant as they have all that money and they can do all the things they ever wanted to do, a bit like Dagenham fans wondering what the Football League would be like. Then they realised they were not cut out for it, and they actually missed the things they had spent years trying to move on from!!!
Diggerthedog

Think the TBS will become a white elephant? probably be closed for 90% of our games next season.