Recruitment

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
leewilson

In response to a couple of rubbish posts in various threads from 1-2 posters about recruitment not being the previous manager's fault:

Short answer: It was

Long answer:

We started 2014/15 with the following signings:

O'Brien, Chambers, Cousins, Green, Batt, Raymond, Labadie, Partridge, Cureton, Hemmings, Porter, Boucaud, Doidge, Yussuff

I've bolded the ones who were a success last season. 4 out of 14.
In addition, Green was released midway through the season, Batt was shunted out as was Porter after flopping massively.

At the beginning of the 2015/16 season we signed (and bearing in mind we had to get this spot on after losing some key players):

Nosworthy, Passley, McClure, Richards, Ferdinand, Dikamona (along with loaning in Hamaleinen and Ayo)

I would say that none of them players have been a continued success. Dikamona and Passley at a push. Nosworthy has retired, Richards/McClure little impact when fit, Ferdinand/Ayo poor, Hamaleinen not ready.

The summer recruitment was an absolute shambles. Wayne got 1 signing right this season and that was Justin Hoyte, plus Dunne as a loanee was good business.

It says a lot that we've had 11 loans already this season. The squad is having to be patched up as Wayne did such a terrible job of replacing key assets who left.
stanton101

Everything about the previous manager was a shambles, that's not to exempt those that gave him a two year contract, as they are equally at fault. But after Saturday's comments by JS on what many saw as utter garbage, is he any better. The answer for me is no. We may be a tighter knit unit, but we still continue to make basic errors and our play in general on Saturday was like a clone of the previous shambles. Once again the board have opted for the easy option, but they may find themselves in a similar position next season, but in a different league.
ARNU

Yes Lee, but even you would have to acknowledge we have to take the journeymen and misfits who nobody else wants.
Anyone any good is playing for more money somewhere else including Doe,Bingham,Abs and Dunne.Burnett has some successes as does Stilly but lets not kid ourselves that Johnny Hoof always gets it right.Anyone remember Phil ifil,Marvin Morgan,Baz savage,Jamie day,Cameron Lancaster,Rob Edmans,Gavin Tomlin,Exodus geo whatsit and one for you Lee Kevin Maher LOL!
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
ThatRoundThing

Add Jake Reed, Ollie Lee, Zavon, Goldberg, Sam Williams, dodgy Spurs loanee keeper.

Woodall was a moderate success on the field, Dwight Gayle was a great Stilly find for the clubs finances.
Burnett failed to find any player with a chance of a sell on.
shoreyda2nd

ThatRoundThing wrote:Burnett failed to find any player with a chance of a sell on.
Peterborough had a bid for Rhys Murphy accepted before he turned them down, he was a very successful Burnett signing
ThatRoundThing

Phrased that somewhat wrongly. Meant player we received a fee for.
Adrian

stanton101 wrote:Everything about the previous manager was a shambles, that's not to exempt those that gave him a two year contract, as they are equally at fault. But after Saturday's comments by JS on what many saw as utter garbage, is he any better. The answer for me is no. We may be a tighter knit unit, but we still continue to make basic errors and our play in general on Saturday was like a clone of the previous shambles. Once again the board have opted for the easy option, but they may find themselves in a similar position next season, but in a different league.
Do you really not understand what Still was doing with those comments?
He was focusing on positives and publically backing his players. He was trying to build their confidence.
He will have been aware of things that werent right and if a player needed a bollocking he will have given one out, but in private.
Auntie Merge

Adrian wrote:
stanton101 wrote:Everything about the previous manager was a shambles, that's not to exempt those that gave him a two year contract, as they are equally at fault. But after Saturday's comments by JS on what many saw as utter garbage, is he any better. The answer for me is no. We may be a tighter knit unit, but we still continue to make basic errors and our play in general on Saturday was like a clone of the previous shambles. Once again the board have opted for the easy option, but they may find themselves in a similar position next season, but in a different league.
He was focusing on positives and publically backing his players. He was trying to build their confidence.
He will have been aware of things that werent right and if a player needed a bollocking he will have given one out, but in private.

^THIS.
The amount of times everyone has slagged off Burnett for laying into the players (and then commenting how on earth they would want to play for him next week), I can't believe these same people are now having a go at John Still for finding some positives, at least in public.
Adrian

ARNU wrote:Yes Lee, but even you would have to acknowledge we have to take the journeymen and misfits who nobody else wants.
Anyone any good is playing for more money somewhere else including Doe,Bingham,Abs and Dunne.Burnett has some successes as does Stilly but lets not kid ourselves that Johnny Hoof always gets it right.Anyone remember Phil ifil,Marvin Morgan,Baz savage,Jamie day,Cameron Lancaster,Rob Edmans,Gavin Tomlin,Exodus geo whatsit and one for you Lee Kevin Maher LOL!
We.don't have to take journeymen. We spent a while doing better avoiding them.
No one has ever said that Still always gets signings right. He's had quite a few that didn't work out, but they tended to be fringe players or players brought in as cover. The players that the team was built around tended to work out okay, even if only for a season.
stanton101

Adrian wrote:
Oh please spare me the shite mate, it took him 87 minutes to bring on a sub ffs and that was only after they'd scored! or didn't he realise with our ONE great effort cleared off the line that we had ****** all up front! And didn't he realise at Newport that if we sat any deeper we'd have ended up on the M4, hence newports 2 goals. Some progress indeed. And it was nice to see the midfield midget up front on Saturday wondering around aimlessly, marvellous, roll on Wycombe.
Adrian

stanton101 wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Oh please spare me the shite mate, it took him 87 minutes to bring on a sub ffs and that was only after they'd scored! or didn't he realise with our ONE great effort cleared off the line that we had ****** all up front! And didn't he realise at Newport that if we sat any deeper we'd have ended up on the M4, hence newports 2 goals. Some progress indeed. And it was nice to see the midfield midget up front on Saturday wondering around aimlessly, marvellous, roll on Wycombe.
So in short, you don't understand. Glad that's cleared up.
Diggerthedog

It is no surprise Still has bombed out several of koko's signings already. More will follow once we are relegated. Doe never went to Boreham Wood for more money he went to get away from the clown that dropped him, arguably the best centre half we have had was flogged in an interview and dropped for giving a penalty away.

We wont have more than 5 of koko's players at the start of next season.

The board who agreed to give the clown a new deal should resign following the failures that most could have predicted would happen. Enjoy the sub 1000 home crowd tomorrow Thommo or should that be ringmaster.
stanton101

So in short, you don't understand. Glad that's cleared up.[/quote]

I understand perfectly that his leadership qualities were found wanting severely on Saturday. His comments were a poor attempt at deflecting his own mistakes, of which there were many. But you obviously didn't see that either. Bravo.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Both Lee and Arnu's post s fail to appreciate one thing about what turned out duff signings both John and Wayne made over the years. Where any of them their first choice , I very much doubt it

Batt was a disaster for Wayne no doubt about that but that was not his first choice was it, I reckon most of the duds were signed when there was nobody around on the money both could offer.

Now it is interesting that both have excelled in the Loan Market , OK both had the odd disaster Wayne signed the only Goalkeeper I have ever seen scared of the ball but on the whole I thought he made some good deals in his time . The ones I recall being well upto it include Norris, Ayo, Dunne ,Dath , the lad who went to Wimbledon , Samuels ( looked very good in that 4p mins before disaster struck, Jackoviac and Pask.

In his time John has also managed to get in some vey very good players Yoing Worrell and Maldoon look the latest.

Both of them have been restricted by budgets restraints and it remains an inescapable fact you can't shop in Marks and Spencer's with Poundland money.
Mike the Dagger

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:Both Lee and Arnu's post s fail to appreciate one thing about what turned out duff signings both John and Wayne made over the years. Where any of them their first choice , I very much doubt it

Batt was a disaster for Wayne no doubt about that but that was not his first choice was it, I reckon most of the duds were signed when there was nobody around on the money both could offer.

Now it is interesting that both have excelled in the Loan Market , OK both had the odd disaster Wayne signed the only Goalkeeper I have ever seen scared of the ball but on the whole I thought he made some good deals in his time . The ones I recall being well upto it include Norris, Ayo, Dunne ,Dath , the lad who went to Wimbledon , Samuels ( looked very good in that 4p mins before disaster struck, Jackoviac and Pask.

In his time John has also managed to get in some vey very good players Yoing Worrell and Maldoon look the latest.

Both of them have been restricted by budgets restraints and it remains an inescapable fact you can't shop in Marks and Spencer's with Poundland money.
Little doubth that both made good and bad signings. Wayne though rarely seemed to be able to put his signings into a consistent and well perfoming team. Hopefully John can do it with the dregs he's inherited.