Zavon Hines

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Have we left it too late / shot ourself in the foot by not offering him a new and improved deal before now?

Burnett says it would take "very good offers" to prise away either him or Murphy but with only what, another 5-6 months on Hines' contract, I don't really see we are in any position to be demanding anything of decent value.

Murphy only has another 18 months left I believe.....
Daggers No 2 Fan

If he was only interested in signing a 1 year deal when he first signed, then he probably wouldn't have been that interested in signing for longer between then and now.
If he's going to go in the summer, then he's going to go. But while he's our player we can hold out for as much as possible if anyone should want him earlier.
matt_drfc

dagger4eva wrote:Have we left it too late / shot ourself in the foot by not offering him a new and improved deal before now?

Burnett says it would take "very good offers" to prise away either him or Murphy but with only what, another 5-6 months on Hines' contract, I don't really see we are in any position to be demanding anything of decent value.

Murphy only has another 18 months left I believe.....
I reckon we only offered him a year contract in the first place, he is most probably the highest earner in the team, so we could only guarantee him a year I guess. If we had give him a 2 year deal and he hadn't have performed this season then we would have been lumbered with him for an extra year. A year has given him personally the opportunity to perform and try to work his way back up the leagues. In hindsight, it seems we should have offered a longer deal, but that's the way it goes.. And who knows that we haven't offered him a new contract and he's turned it down? It's not a certainty that he would accept it anyway.
ARNU

Hes a good player by our standards but the only reason he's putting the shifts in now is because nobody else wanted him while he lazed about at Bradford or wherever it was.They clearly didnt want to invest in him for lg1 this season or he'd still be there Id imagine.That,for a footballer of his age and pedigree was a wake up call Im sure.Like a lot of players before him he looks good in a Daggers side,very few go on to much bigger or better.This is his last chance to shine and in fairness he has.Playing Russian rouleete with contracts is a risky business for players,wheres Sam Williams now by the way ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Richie

ARNU wrote:Hes a good player by our standards but the only reason he's putting the shifts in now is because nobody else wanted him while he lazed about at Bradford or wherever it was.They clearly didnt want to invest in him for lg1 this season or he'd still be there Id imagine.That,for a footballer of his age and pedigree was a wake up call Im sure.Like a lot of players before him he looks good in a Daggers side,very few go on to much bigger or better.This is his last chance to shine and in fairness he has.Playing Russian rouleete with contracts is a risky business for players,wheres Sam Williams now by the way ?
Harsh. He's always been someone who'd put a shift in from what I recall of him at Bradford.
matt_drfc

To be fair to him, he left West Ham to get first team football elsewhere. Apparently, he was finding it hard to settle in up north, so he's happy to back with his family and that's why he's playing well.
ARNU

Im a Zavon fan,have been all along,but the reality is you don't turn down Lg1 football unless you think you are above it or aint getting games.Im guessing he wasn't getting regular starts.He messed us about a bit at first didn't he.Im guessing if Dagenham and Redbridge is your choice how bad or non existent must the other offers have been ? If he scores 15 goals he might get looked at but theres a strong chance that wont happen. I hope we can give him a longer bigger contract,1st team football is what keeps you in the shop window.Always better to be a big goldfish in a small bowl.Ask John Still.
matt_drfc

ARNU wrote:Im a Zavon fan,have been all along,but the reality is you don't turn down Lg1 football unless you think you are above it or aint getting games.Im guessing he wasn't getting regular starts.He messed us about a bit at first didn't he.Im guessing if Dagenham and Redbridge is your choice how bad or non existent must the other offers have been ? If he scores 15 goals he might get looked at but theres a strong chance that wont happen. I hope we can give him a longer bigger contract,1st team football is what keeps you in the shop window.Always better to be a big goldfish in a small bowl.Ask John Still.
He didn't turn Bradford down, he was just released. But part of that was him being unhappy, so he wasn't playing too well, as I said above. He is a human being after all. It's clear to see he has ability, and now he has the right surroundings he is showing that ability. It's not rocket science mate
daggersjeff

ARNU wrote:wheres Sam Williams now by the way ?
Somewhere like Dorchester I beleive...
ARNU

matt_drfc wrote:
ARNU wrote:Im a Zavon fan,have been all along,but the reality is you don't turn down Lg1 football unless you think you are above it or aint getting games.Im guessing he wasn't getting regular starts.He messed us about a bit at first didn't he.Im guessing if Dagenham and Redbridge is your choice how bad or non existent must the other offers have been ? If he scores 15 goals he might get looked at but theres a strong chance that wont happen. I hope we can give him a longer bigger contract,1st team football is what keeps you in the shop window.Always better to be a big goldfish in a small bowl.Ask John Still.
He didn't turn Bradford down, he was just released. But part of that was him being unhappy, so he wasn't playing too well, as I said above. He is a human being after all. It's clear to see he has ability, and now he has the right surroundings he is showing that ability. It's not rocket science mate
Yes that was my point.He was released and didn't turn them down.I don't buy into all that "ooh Im not happy therefore I cant be a good milkman" stuff.He wasn't happy cos he wasn't playing or preferred by the manager.If he'd have been good enough/played well enough he'd have been playing.Also not rocket science.

He's clearly a great player but he'd be better off playing his heart out than worrying who is gonna come in for him.Let his feet do the talking,which at the moment they are.
Dagdale

I think, if we stay within a shout of hitting the play offs which after all is only a couple of months away he'll be up to stay put, I do sense most of this squad now are really enjoying working together and I know money is always top draw point but with a fairly decent chance of playing League 1 football next season and more revenue that surely would settle the squad more. Small clubs like ours will always be a magnet for bigger clubs & agents but for us to be successful too we must pull out the stops to keep our best players. On a personal level think were a season away from gaining a good level on the League above, Wayne's blended this side superbly from his official start and although of course wouldn't throw the opportunity away to rise this season think another year or so would be such an advantage to the club and us, the supporters. Coming away on the local Chesterfield bus Sunday and the only Dagger on board lost count of the Spire boys around me praising Zavon even one or two bawling- best player seen down here this season by far.
Mikins

Does anyone else feel he has a touch of the Adebayor about him? when he has something to prove he's excellent, but once that points proved hes happy to just coast by. hence why a short term deal is best for both parties, if he was still here next season because no one came in for him, who says he wouldnt just go "screw it" and go all Dom Green on us. this way we have a player hungry to prove a point and get up where he feels he belongs, we're not shackled to him and he isnt shackled to us. seems like a fair deal for both sides
Sorry about your damn luck!