Time to take stock

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
leewilson

I think everyone's memory of what happened last season is affecting their views slightly.

We're all scared of another plummet towards the relegation zone, even me. We all know that this is pretty much the same team that did plummet bar the 3/4 arrivals in the summer. However, Wayne has done a very good job in bringing in 4 players who have improved us (Murphy, Hines, Saah, Obafemi). He's also given Jack Connors a taste of first team football, got a fair bit out of Ogogo in CM, got much more out of Medy than he's produced in the last 18 months.

Can everyone just take a tiny bit of perspective and remember Torquay was the first time we've lost back to back games this season. Losing at Portsmouth signals a slight dip in form but find me a side this season that hasn't suffered a small dip of 2/3 games? We have no right to be in the top 7 and despite this run and our poor away form, we still only find ourselves 7 points off the play offs which is not a million miles away considering sides around 6th-10th are not going to be winning every week. A little run in the right direction gets everyone positive again.

Just like the people who call for realism are correct after people go into dreamland after a few wins, the people calling for calm are also right after a few defeats.

And just a quick note on team selection. I'd be looking at bringing D'Ath in for a 4-5-1 away to Chesterfield. I'd be tempted to go a little more adventurous at home to Wimbledon and move Medy central behind the striker with Obafemi wide right. I'd perhaps consider D'Ath in for Howell as well for that game but will take another look after the Chesterfield game at that.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Lee his loan is up I think.
ARNU

Im still fully behind WB.No way does he see it as just a job,that was a bit harsh.He cares and is passionate that cant be denied.Im sure hes hurting at the moment.I praise him all the time so its only fair if he makes a dodgy decision occasionally that he gets the feedback for it too.I still think we'll finish up in a good position.We'd have given our wanking arm for a bit of mid table mediocrity.This year we are better than that,hence the grumpy demeanour of late.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Dagger In The Heart

Personally I find all this criticism of Edgar a touch harsh. I still don't think we can judge him as he only ever gets brought on in the 88th minute or whatever and is expected to produce something, not gonna happen. Actually I thought he offered more in the 2-3 minutes he was on at Portsmouth than the previous 87 or so, although that wasn't exactly tough. Maybe he should be given a chance tomorrow, rest Zav or something in prep for NYD.

Agree with the calls on Dickson, not sure what game he was playing Thursday, it weren't the one at Fratton Park!

Dennis is still on loan I think?? Don't understand why Saunders never gets a shot, does he not see eye to eye with WB? That said I did think D'Ath may a positive change after coming on at half-time, so maybe he should start tomorrow.

Think this slump in form shows just how important Billy is. Don't we usually tend to have a slump this time of the season though?
Daggers No 2 Fan

ARNU wrote:You'd rather play a consistently crap player cos hes being paid rather than possibly a good player whos playing for free ? Really ?
Im not saying Edgar is a like for like swap here in terms of position but what ive seen he does give the impression hes trying.Something Dickson dosent.

http://www.daggers.co.uk/news/article/a ... 75142.aspx

I don't understand your opening question. You appear to be suggesting I'm saying something I clearly haven't.

My point (and I thought it was clear) is that we have players we are paying that aren't getting a chance, like Shields who you've mentioned a few times, but we are giving game time to somone who is effectively just on some sort of extended trial instead.
matt_drfc

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
ARNU wrote:You'd rather play a consistently crap player cos hes being paid rather than possibly a good player whos playing for free ? Really ?
Im not saying Edgar is a like for like swap here in terms of position but what ive seen he does give the impression hes trying.Something Dickson dosent.

http://www.daggers.co.uk/news/article/a ... 75142.aspx

I don't understand your opening question. You appear to be suggesting I'm saying something I clearly haven't.

My point (and I thought it was clear) is that we have players we are paying that aren't getting a chance, like Shields who you've mentioned a few times, but we are giving game time to somone who is effectively just on some sort of extended trial instead.

Shields didn't even play before Edgar came, so this is pointless. When Burnett thinks Shields is ready, he will play him?
Daggers No 2 Fan

matt_drfc wrote:
Shields didn't even play before Edgar came, so this is pointless. When Burnett thinks Shields is ready, he will play him?
What was pointless was bringing in someone else in the same position where we already had ample cover, including a player who could probably do with getting some 5/10 minute spells to help his development.
It seems that some have been a little blinded by his willingness to play for nothing. I'd play for nothing. I'd still be shit.
Daggers No 2 Fan

Chigwellian wrote:
TheLion wrote:If the coaching staff allow all three issues to continue, we are only going in one direction.
I told this to Wayne Burnett and the coaching staff after the fiasco at Mansfield in no uncertain terms. Steve Thomson was also told, but apparently, because he was cheaper than Phil Brown, this is why WB got the job, even though we free fell last season....

We are in free fall again, and only by luck, have we accumulated 30points, I can't see us getting many more ... Like I said then, it's just a job to WB.... Where is the passion?
This post is amazing. I'm sure the people you told in no uncertain terms couldn't care less what you think. Especially if you spoke to them in the manner of this post, which frankly makes you look a bit of a tit. You really don't think we'll get another point all season.
Chigwellian

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
Chigwellian wrote:
TheLion wrote:If the coaching staff allow all three issues to continue, we are only going in one direction.
I told this to Wayne Burnett and the coaching staff after the fiasco at Mansfield in no uncertain terms. Steve Thomson was also told, but apparently, because he was cheaper than Phil Brown, this is why WB got the job, even though we free fell last season....

We are in free fall again, and only by luck, have we accumulated 30points, I can't see us getting many more ... Like I said then, it's just a job to WB.... Where is the passion?
This post is amazing. I'm sure the people you told in no uncertain terms couldn't care less what you think. Especially if you spoke to them in the manner of this post, which frankly makes you look a bit of a tit. You really don't think we'll get another point all season.
What? Are you for real..... So when the team are playing poor, you are happy to moan on here and not tell the people who really matter?... What have I said to make you insult me, this is my opinion, the points we have got so far have, I would say that at least 10 of them have been by luck (accrington, Scunthorpe, morecambe - that's 4 points we have gained where we could have lost or drawn). That's without really thinking about all the games

If things don't change quickly, for instance learn how to defend at corners, then we will be in free fall, no question about it..... I never said we wouldn't get another point
Daggers No 2 Fan

Chigwellian wrote:
What? Are you for real..... So when the team are playing poor, you are happy to moan on here and not tell the people who really matter?... What have I said to make you insult me, this is my opinion, the points we have got so far have, I would say that at least 10 of them have been by luck (accrington, Scunthorpe, morecambe - that's 4 points we have gained where we could have lost or drawn). That's without really thinking about all the games

If things don't change quickly, for instance learn how to defend at corners, then we will be in free fall, no question about it..... I never said we wouldn't get another point
I'll apologise for the misreading of you saying many more points as any more points.
The rest of my post stands though. You don't post very much, but a fair bit of what you have posted is essentially taking a dig at the people at the club.
I wouldn't take it on myself to tell the manager how to do his job, in the same way I wouldn't particularly appreciate him telling me how to do mine.

You go on about luck to get points, but I reckon you're also someone who wouldn't allow bad luck to be used as an excuse for not picking up points. The reality is that luck is made. Teams get late equalisers because they push for them, not because of sheer luck.
Masked Man

I didn't post after the Portsmouth game as I was feeling very negative. A few of the players didn't turn up. And a few more weren't firing on all cylinders.

We've played much better football at the beginning of this season, and I've come away from several home games thinking, that was great to watch, along with being happy with 3 points!! So we know we can do it. And by all accounts, the game on Sunday was a bit of a turn around and much better, with us unlucky to not get three points. The way I'm feeling at the moment is that I'll give the Wimbledon game ago, but if the Daggers team don't turn up again or serve up sloppy seconds, I might be using the 'No Season Ticket' clause to skip a few games or watch them from Gold's Gym!!