The ultimate "MUST WIN" game

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

Yesterday's draw makes the replay at Whitehawk the biggest game of this little club's recent history in terms of potentially turning the steady decline since our season in League One around for a while.

We keep being told that our problems are a result of the budget we have to work with and we have long since spent the Dwight Gale income.

So what are we actually looking at here? So far our FA Cup run (one win, two rubbish draws) has been worth £66,500 in prize money and TV fees (going out on a limb here and assuming the replay is televised).

1st round winners: £18,000
2nd round Sunday TV fee: £12,500
2nd round live TV replay fee: £36,000

Winning the replay is worth at least £150,000!

What is up for grabs:
2nd round winners: £27,000
45% of gate receipts at Everton: around £120,000 (conservative estimate - 22,000 odd paying an average £12 each)
TV fees depend on the game being chosen for extended highlights/live (unlikely if its us TBH): Live £144,000, Live replay: £72,000 Highlights: £6,750

This would give us enough to either A) sack Burnett and get in a few players, or B) let Burnett work his magic with some money behind him.

My vote is for option A.
admin
Site Admin

Two things:

1. Everyone calm down, we haven't got Everton yet, still a long way to go
2. We should focus on getting behind the boys rather than steaming into the manager. I don't like the manager either but division in the team is not what we need. If we blow it against Whitehawk and people then get on his back, I'll understand
Mike the Dagger

admin wrote: we haven't got Everton yet, still a long way to go
Precisely my point!
Tomthedagger

I was at the game on Sunday with the prawn sandwich boys up in the box.

I got the chance to speak to Wayne and Labadie after the game, and they were totally at a loss as to why we didn't win the game. When I asked Wayne 'what would happen if we drew Arsenal/United in the next round' his response was 'it would be a f**king cricket score'.

Labadie's chin was on his chest and when asked if we could do the business against Whitehawk in the replay his response was simply 'we'll try'.

There is NO FIRE in this team, at all. Hopefully the prospect of a premier league 3rd round tie will spur the boys on and not scare them... Based on the reaction I got from them I would say we are as good as out.
PaulHornchurch

I think most know I'm in support of Wayne. I would be amazed if he made the 'cricket score' remark but of course you was there,I wasn't so will accept it.

I would of love to have known what evidence he has for that. 0-0 and 0-2 to Southport last year and 1-1 with Whitehawk. We best Essex Senior League Basildon 6-0 with a pretty much 1st Team, and there is a world of difference between ESL and Nat Lge Sth.

This is the type of attitude that will see us get beat. If I was Wayne I would leave a hour earlier on Saturday and go to Crawley via Whitehawk and show them this pitch and ground.
Mike the Dagger

Tomthedagger wrote:I was at the game on Sunday with the prawn sandwich boys up in the box.

I got the chance to speak to Wayne and Labadie after the game, and they were totally at a loss as to why we didn't win the game. When I asked Wayne 'what would happen if we drew Arsenal/United in the next round' his response was 'it would be a f**king cricket score'.

Labadie's chin was on his chest and when asked if we could do the business against Whitehawk in the replay his response was simply 'we'll try'.

There is NO FIRE in this team, at all. Hopefully the prospect of a premier league 3rd round tie will spur the boys on and not scare them... Based on the reaction I got from them I would say we are as good as out.
That is scarey TBH. The reason we didn't win on Sunday was we were all over the place tactically. If anyone can tell me definitively what the formation was and who was playing where I would be very surprised. All that was caused by the pathological need for Burnett to play Boucaud which immediately unbalances the whole team.

Having proven he is tactically inept, if Burnett isn't up for the fight either then he needs to get the hell out of the way and let someone else heve a go.

When we couldn't get a second goal, and once Whitehawk got the momentum going their way it never looked like getting turned around again and the equaliser was inevitable. Had they scored ten minutes earlier they would have won.

As for us having no chance at Everton should we sneak past Whitehawk, it is time to dig out the video of the Daggers at Charlton and show them what a team with a plan and a bit of guts can do against the big boys. That team were part time foothallers and gave a decent Premier League side a proper scare.

Time for the board to put some pressure on Burnett by sitting him down and telling him the game at Whitehawk is win or bust for him, no more excuses.

Yeah right!
DI Mike Dashwood

Have to agree with Mike here.

I know in the past Thommo always said that we didn't budget for any cup income, so we have already exceeded that by around 70k??

But a win next week is worth so much to the Club. I think Mike's gate and take estimate is a little conservative. I think a win next week is going to guarantee towards 200k straight up. There is of course the chance of that going up with TV money, and also other spin offs. 2,000 people travelling to Goodison would shift a lot of merch, a cup run gets other people in the area interested in the Club again, and this has spin offs as far as future support and sponsorship are concerned.

Quite simply it's the biggest game since May 2013. For that reason, everyone needs to cut the sniping and the boycotts or whatever for the next week 8 days (and 2 hours). Everyone on here claims to support the Club, and I am sure they do, and everyone has their views on things, and rightly so. But I think everyone should try to get to Whitehawk next week and be positive and back the Team, as it is so important.

If we mess up and lose then................
Corinthian

Well said both Mikes.

Up the Daggers!
dagger4eva

Yeah very well said both.

Im with Mike - im willing cut the sniping etc. towards Wayne & co until the replay is done & dusted.
Mark

I'd sack him now and hope for a bounce to get us past whitehawk.

The formation on Saturday was 433 but the three in midfield were narrow with Jones wide left and two up front. This meant vassell and Labadie had to cover the right side.

Bear in mind last season their left back played against us for Cheltenham and had a mare you'd think we would put a winger up against him. Instead we gave him an easy afternoon while Jodi toiled against their right back.

He just has no idea how to set up a football team and even less idea when a battle is required. If he wants to play 433 just drop vassell he's done absolutely nothing anyway. If he wants to play 442 just drop Boucaud!
Diggerthedog

dagger4eva wrote:Yeah very well said both.

Im with Mike - im willing cut the sniping etc. towards Wayne & co until the replay is done & dusted.
Going to have to train it then coach back, is that allowed?
DI Mike Dashwood

The thing is though Mark, that ain't going to happen!!! There are many who wish it would, but it won't. So as I say, for 8 days and an hour people should, in my view put that all to one side.

We can't control if he is in charge next week, but he will be, and we can't control the Team he picks next week. But people can, for 8 days, try and create a positive environment and on Wednesday night try and show some support. That is the only thing we can control or do to help influence the result?? Will it have an affect?? I don't know, it's hard to judge, but we can't control the other things.
redboy

When Boucard was away, the team started to play well with Dunne and Josh in centre mid. What happens? Boucs comes back, he changes the side and the formation and we're back to normal. Clueless management. Will he learn anything from the first game in lieu of the replay or will he just use a fantastic excuse that er....they were the better side and deserved the result (whilst I waved my arms around and did ****** all to change it)
Mike the Dagger

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:
But a win next week is worth so much to the Club. I think Mike's gate and take estimate is a little conservative.
Whitehawk local rag are saying the game is worth £1m to them.... http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/1413228 ... ref=twtrec
Last edited by Mike the Dagger on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dagger83

admin wrote:Two things:

1. Everyone calm down
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.