Now that was Pathetic....

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

Wow Wow Wow.

Lets all take time to take breath and look at things with a bit of perspective.

We are nearing the halfway point of this season 10 points clear of the only place we don't want to be, that is our first and surely our only aim.

Today was more frustrating rather then disappointing. Anyone of them chances goes in and we have a different game.

Sadly it did not happen today and over the past two games I am starting to wonder if lady luck is turning against us. We could have played to xmas day next year and still not scored.

We can hardly complain remember Josh goal against Exeter, those last gasp equalisers against Scunthorpe and Morecambe. Add in the two penalties against Burton and Wycombe that could easily not have been given and our current position would not look so healthy.

Think we have all got a bit carried away and ask you all to remember that for the sake of an Empire the Kingdom can get lost.

Today we gave tickets away for a fiver and still only managed 1500 through the gate. With those financial restraints it is hardly surprising that we have an above average team by luck and a below average squad by reality.

Before we all start chucking stones we come to a period of the season that will need us all to stick together, get behind the team and Manager . We have three tricky games coming up lose all of them and the way this league is going we could sitting on the toilet seat which is only one push from going down the pan !

The last two games have been a huge wake up call and anybody who thought we were going to go through the season without a sticky patch is a fool.

Even our diamonds have their quirks. There has been plenty of Scouts watching Rhys Murphy but they will surely want to see him be able to head a ball . Watch him closely and he hardly ever gets of the ground let alone win anything in the air.

There can not be any better Player then Zavon in this league when he is on it he is unplayable but we have to keep him in it for longer. Once again he was out of the game for long periods .

Perhaps that's why they are here I am not complaining as if they had everything they would not be Daggers.

We have achieved to much and last seasons proved how easy a seemingly safe gap can evaporate in a matter of games. Now is the time to consolidate our position and we need to keep cool heads.

We will continue to lose games we should not, but I am sure we will also get results were we would think that it is highly unlikely.

So come on everybody the glass is still half full not half empty.
DagenHammer87

It was heading for a 0-0 from the off and aside for a very poor piece of goalkeeping (stay on your line or come and actually get the ball), we both deserved a point in clearly difficult conditions.

We didn't attack the 6 yard box half as much as we should do and when we did get in on goal, there were lots of bending, more finesse shots in conditions that require you to drill it as low and hard as you can into the corners. The defence looked solid and competent, very patient on the ball - sometimes too patient, but some good football was played in parts.

Murphy should not be running into the channels. If you're set up to play 433, then Zav and Medy must be the players in the channel with Murphy hovering around the penalty spot. Their centre halves were getting further and further apart in the first half and by sending your target man into the channels, we lacked that bite. (Spurs have the same issue with Soldado - target men are just that).

We massively lacked a midfield general today, someone to break up their play and move the ball left and right to allow the wings to do their job.

Still, we go into Christmas in a relatively good position. I'll write today off as one of them bad days in bad conditions. It happens. Still not sure of having Abs as captain and we are in need of leaders on that pitch... Armband or not.
ARNU

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
ARNU wrote:Im calm.You just come across like your constantly having a dig.

Our game today was poor,we weren't great and we deserved nothing from it.All similar opinions that you would have heard on the radio on the way home and im sure from the manager when he does his interviews.In my opinion we played far better against Wycombe and against Oxford last week who were a far better team than Torquay were today.
It only comes across to you like someone is having a dig because you always seem to be waiting for some to be offended about.
You're clearly not calm, as you wouldn't have replied with your own rather poor attempt at a dig if you were. You got self worked up over nothing again and had to have a little dig.

And there you go again.More antagonism.

I've given you my appraisal of what I thought was a poor show today,you sound like you enjoyed it.Nice that someone went home pleased.I can accept you may have a different view to me but you aren't particularly eloquent in your delivery of it.This leads me to find you a slight vexation to the spirit (again) and therefore I will not be entering into another 8 pages of bickering with you.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
leewilson

Daggers No 2 Fan wrote:
ARNU wrote: Torquay have won just 3 times all season and never at Victoria road ever,we have been on fire at home and were expecting a nice comfy thrashing toaday.Nobody actually said it but that's what we all thought.
If you went in with that attitude, then that's your problem. You seem to have this weird habit of thinking that everyone is like you. Most people aren't.
I certainly wasn't expecting a thrashing today, and I reckon there were plenty of others that weren't either.

It's often struck me that whenever people start thinking that we're in for an easy win that it tends to come back to bite them.
There isn't a lot between anyone in League 2 at the moment. All teams have good runs and bad runs, and those can often switch round very quickly.
Completely this. Torquay beat Southend last week and have shown signs of improvement lately. They've also just got their goalkeeper back from injury who kept them in the game today. Poke is a very good keeper at this level anyway so no surprise there.
We're the same Daggers side bar 2-3 good players that nearly got relegated last season. I never go into any game expecting a thrashing. In fact, most people who know me will tell you I go into most games pessemistic because I'm probably too much of a realist and focus too much on what we don't do well (which is also a weakness I have as a coach which I need to eradicate). Unfortunately, games aren't played on paper and league tables and the standard of this league from top to bottom is very close. On our day we can beat anyone but just as easily on any other team's day they can beat us. Today was Torquay's day. They dug in defensively and caught us with a sucker punch. Plus, with it being league 2, there's not the level of consistency from these players every week. I thought Hines was off colour in his end product today bar 1-2 good shots first half. I thought Murphy was the same as it goes. Another day, they score 1-2 and we win comfortably. Swings and roundabouts, onto the next game we go.
Daggers No 2 Fan

ARNU wrote:
And there you go again.More antagonism.

I've given you my appraisal of what I thought was a poor show today,you sound like you enjoyed it.Nice that someone went home pleased.I can accept you may have a different view to me but you aren't particularly eloquent in your delivery of it.This leads me to find you a slight vexation to the spirit (again) and therefore I will not be entering into another 8 pages of bickering with you.
Where's the antagonism? You're the one who's got himself all wound up over nothing. I simply made a reasonable statement that you've decided to get your knickers in a twist about. Let's be honest, it's not like you don't have previous for doing that.
You're always quick to spout off and have a go at trying to get a reaction. But you're also pretty quick to react to nothing as well.

I've also given my appraisal of the game. You seem to have decided to ignore large chunks of what I've written so you can pick out a couple of lines to get all worked up about. It's nearly Christmas - chill out a bit dude.
DagenHammer87

I think you two need to shake hands and agree to disagree. Every thread is becoming your show. Neither of you would probably get involved in any level of debate face to face and highlight the issue with forums. I agree with the right to air your opinions, but it shouldn't start to get personal.

It was clear for all to see today that we were a yard off the pace. Some looked like they'd already broke up for Christmas and were looking forward to a few beers while the Queen does her bit.

Personally, I'd have them in at 7am on Sunday, firstly cleaning up the litter in the stands, followed by laps upon laps of the pitch. Bloody gutless at times and a waste of 17 quid if you ask me. Anyone would think we're starting to believe our own hype.

It was a bad day, let's move on. But please guys, stop scoring points off one another - you both have valid points, but it's almost schoolboy-esque at times.
Auntie Merge

DagenHammer87 wrote: It was clear for all to see today that we were a yard off the pace. Some looked like they'd already broke up for Christmas and were looking forward to a few beers while the Queen does her bit.

Personally, I'd have them in at 7am on Sunday, firstly cleaning up the litter in the stands, followed by laps upon laps of the pitch. Bloody gutless at times and a waste of 17 quid if you ask me. Anyone would think we're starting to believe our own hype.

It was a bad day, let's move on.
^This. We failed to turn up from the off. We were slow, sluggish, lacked sparkle and spent most of the time chasing the game. It was like watching last years side - painful. If I hadn't already had done my Christmas shopping I would have been writing a shopping list on my phone, like I did for most of last season. I left sharpish at the end as I really had better things to do.

The weather wasn't great but these are professional players, they should be able to play regardless of the conditions.

I too would have the players in for a tough training session today. Yesterday we were not good enough and if we don't pick ourselves up and focus immediately, there is a good chance of us losing the next three games too. Oh and can we please practice set pieces. Another free header gave them their goal today.

This might be harsh coming from me, but yesterday was disappointing, frustrating and lacklustre and we only have ourselves to blame.
ARNU

Antie Merge said..... "I too would have the players in for a tough training session today. Yesterday we were not good enough and if we don't pick ourselves up and focus immediately, there is a good chance of us losing the next three games too. Oh and can we please practice set pieces. Another free header gave them their goal today.This might be harsh coming from me, but yesterday was disappointing, frustrating and lacklustre and we only have ourselves to blame"

Couldn't agree more auntie.Well said.
Lcbdagger

Absolutely furious after yesterday. I can take a defeat to a poor team if they play out of their skin but Torquay were shocking and certainly looked like a bottom two team. Second half we were awful. So frustrating
Phippo

Pondfield Dagger wrote:2 great saves and hit the post, on another day they go in and and we win.although I though wte would lose today, play a team bottom of the league think we will piss it and win 3-0, then under estimate them, put in a poor shift and lose, happens all the time with us aka Cheltenham lol
Are you forgetting that Lewington made a couple of excellent saves? He was one of our better performers on the day, and that's really saying something!
Harbour View

Pathetic was an understatement....Once again Lewington in goal never made any attempt to catch/punch or make any contact with the ball on the corner resulting in a goal (Just like Oxford last week and God knows how many games previously). Diving like a fish when the ball has gone past doesn't help. People talk about us adding another striker, we need a better goalkeeper !!Once again that was the difference in the two teams in the final analysis. If we had someone in goal of the standard of Poke of Torquay we would have at least have another six points by now. His kicking is about the worst l have ever seen and having to consistantly roll the ball out his defenders, means that half the time we never get out of our own half. At least we could forgive Roberts as he made up for his poor kicking with excellent displays. Other teams have really worked this one out. Please use your loaf Burnett and get in a proper goalie.

I agree with everyone about Dickson, looks totally disinterested and far too slow. He makes Bas Savage look like Superman ! Both Femi and Howell had the worst games in a D&R shirt l have seen for a while and yes, please please give Hines the ball. He is light years above anything we have in the team and we don't give him the ball. Good teams use their best players. I don't see Liverpool not giving Luis Suarez the ball.
ThatRoundThing

Did anyone else notice Peter Taylor's attendance at the game. Thought I saw him being whisked through the members bar straight to the boxes.
Maybe with a January shopping list. I really hope we are not looking to sell either Murphy or Hines but surely the club cannot keep going with such poor attendances without selling.
Seems to me that this London Borough just aren't interested in a Football League team. Every home game I seem to speak to supporters who won't be at certain Home and Away games because they are going to West Ham.
Oh we'll roll on Pompey and Chesterfield, let's hope we get at least one or two points to keep us on course for a mid table finish providing we can keep the team intact.
Richie

I think people are being way OTT here, I seem to be in the minority but I didn't think we were bad
ARNU

Richie wrote:I think people are being way OTT here, I seem to be in the minority but I didn't think we were bad
Im not sure you are in a minority Richie but at least my view that it was a poor show wasn't exclusively mine.From where I was sitting high up in the TBS it just seemed we were all over the place from time to time.Its a view that you don't get from the sieve.Murphy hitting the post and Poke's save in the 1st half were our only real chances,Dicksons shots were never going to trouble the keeper,they were more like passes to him than shots at goal,my feeling is Oberfemi would have buried them though.We have to get the ball to Zav more.
NickMurphy

Richie wrote:I think people are being way OTT here, I seem to be in the minority but I didn't think we were bad
I agree with you there. Had one of the two shots we had early on found the back of the net it could and probably would have been a completely different game. But that's football sometimes - just an incredibly frustrating afternoon.