Southern Scotland Saturday

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Adrian

lupins wrote:Without talking about the Captaincy I do wonder if people are actually watching that closely. Bouchard is the only player in the Team who will always be available and always take a pass even if he is under pressure. Backwards, are you sure. Granted rather than give it away then yes but you must be missing the through balls at pace to feet which inevitably don't stick and come back. It's no coincidence that Bingham thrived last year playing alongside him. Running around like a headless chicken and shouting and fouling might make a more visible Captain but not much else. Surprisingly enough there are a few players on our books I enjoy watching and he is one of them
He's always available because the opposition know there isn't much point in marking him too closely as he'll not do anything.
As for him not giving the ball away, that's only because he plays to ball to someone else in worse position so that they end up giving it away.
These through balls to feet that don't stick sound like they're not very good passes to me. If they were they wouldn't inevitably come back.

He may be technically quite a good player, but he is not what we need. Dagenham & Redbridge teams have always done well when moving the ball forward quickly, not playing 10 passes to end up where they started.
Mark

I have to agree Adrian.

I do enjoy watching him on the ball and he is technically very good. He offers for passes and his close control is excellent. However, he can't really get about the pitch and isn't very good defensively. The way he plays requires everyone else to be similarly comfortable on the ball and you don't get that at this level with the money we have. Also it means our build up is slow which gives teams time to regroup. You then require many technically excellent players to break them down.

He doesn't fit with us. He'd be better in a 3 as we saw last season. If we're going 442 we need 2 workhorses in there. Alternatively if Wayne wants to play in a way that is suited to Andre he needs about 4 new players.
Keeper Coach

leewilson wrote:Just seen the highlights, the 2nd goal in particular is very disappointing. I'd like to hear 'keeper coach's' view considering his criticism of Cousins not commanding his box earlier in the season as O'Brien should have been out for that ball into his six yard box. He looks very suspect on high balls. That aside, he's done well so far but I'm not sure it's worth alienating Cousins over. Both are out of contract in the summer, and if we had to keep one or the other, I'd keep Cousins all day long.
http://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk ... _1_4230843

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34160613

A friend of mine said to me the other day that his son had moaned about his new teacher..
He was useless, Could 'nt control his class, only taught them stuff from a book, did 'nt listen or let them do the things they wanted.
"Hes no good dad, he will never make a decent teacher, im going on facebook to tell everyone hes no good, can you tell the headmaster and go on the schools website and slaughter him ?"
Now I had to laugh, "your boy should be in my profession I said, then you could get all the parents together and sing "The teacher is a W**nker, or maybe "You don't know what your doing " or how about standing outside the class before his lesson and booing him as he comes in to teach "?
"What good does that do" he said ? How is he going to get better ?....
"so what did you say to your boy then I asked ?"
And he said .."Son when you can stand up in front of 30 kids and teach them something, when you give up all your spare time to train and improve yourself, when you study night after night to go to university to be able to take up the profession of your choice and strive every day to improve and hone your skills, I will listen to you and then I will complain, until then I refuse to act on the evidence of your 2 minute highlights of a 6 hour school day which is very much your own concoction of something you know little of and at this time have neither the ability application or dedication to achieve something only a few ever can."

We have 2 good goalkeepers one is a little older and a bit more experienced than the other, Mark was dropped after his standards dipped a little, he is still and will remain a fine keeper. Liam was dropped last season as the lad lost the confidence in matches he was displaying on the training ground. Both of them displayed a fantastic attitude, they support and help each other and at the same time drive and push each other to better themselves every day. This is true of the entire squad, they continue to work hard on the training ground and that has been evident since Exeter. Its worth pointing out that on Saturday most of the players left home before 7am had a pre match of British Rail sandwiches arrived less than 2 hours before KO and gave their all losing narrowly to one of the current form teams of the division. certainly both players and fans had a little insight into how draining and difficult a long Saturday trip can be. All they ask is you get behind them every game no matter who plays, they are giving everything both management and players, its a small squad and they all need supporting on good and bad days.
Finally Mr Wilson watch the extended highlights on player and then maybe review your comments. Now im off to coach some U12s should I start with a ball or just criticise them first so they can get used to it ?
Diggerthedog

Keeper Coach wrote:
leewilson wrote:Just seen the highlights, the 2nd goal in particular is very disappointing. I'd like to hear 'keeper coach's' view considering his criticism of Cousins not commanding his box earlier in the season as O'Brien should have been out for that ball into his six yard box. He looks very suspect on high balls. That aside, he's done well so far but I'm not sure it's worth alienating Cousins over. Both are out of contract in the summer, and if we had to keep one or the other, I'd keep Cousins all day long.

A friend of mine said to me the other day that his son had moaned about his new teacher..
He was useless, Could 'nt control his class, only taught them stuff from a book, did 'nt listen or let them do the things they wanted.
"Hes no good dad, he will never make a decent teacher, im going on facebook to tell everyone hes no good, can you tell the headmaster and go on the schools website and slaughter him ?"
Now I had to laugh, "your boy should be in my profession I said, then you could get all the parents together and sing "The teacher is a W**nker, or maybe "You don't know what your doing " or how about standing outside the class before his lesson and booing him as he comes in to teach "?
And he said .."Son when you can stand up in front of 30 kids and teach them something, when you give up all your spare time to train and improve yourself, when you study night after night to go to university to be able to take up the profession of your choice and strive every day to improve and hone your skills, I will listen to you and then I will complain, until then I refuse to act on the evidence of your 2 minute highlights of a 6 hour school day which is very much your own concoction of something you know little of and at this time have neither the ability application or dedication to achieve something only a few ever can."

We have 2 good goalkeepers one is a little older and a bit more experienced than the other, Mark was dropped after his standards dipped a little, he is still and will remain a fine keeper. Liam was dropped last season as the lad lost the confidence in matches he was displaying on the training ground. Both of them displayed a fantastic attitude, they support and help each other and at the same time drive and push each other to better themselves every day. This is true of the entire squad, they continue to work hard on the training ground and that has been evident since Exeter. Its worth pointing out that on Saturday most of the players left home before 7am had a pre match of British Rail sandwiches arrived less than 2 hours before KO and gave their all losing narrowly to one of the current form teams of the division. certainly both players and fans had a little insight into how draining and difficult a long Saturday trip can be. All they ask is you get behind them every game no matter who plays, they are giving everything both management and players, its a small squad and they all need supporting on good and bad days.
Finally Mr Wilson watch the extended highlights on player and then maybe review your comments. Now im off to coach some U12s should I start with a ball or just criticise them first so they can get used to it ?
They left home before 7am? Ah bless their little cotton socks, I do earlier then that 5 days a week some people in football need to man up.
matt_drfc

Keeper Coach wrote:

That is heartbreaking, I almost cried.
PaulHornchurch

Which was my point earlier. Our travel budget has to be reduced this year. No overnights at Tranmere, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury, Bury & Burton. New overnights at Bristol Rovers, Yeovil.

Exec Coach 2 days app £2000. 13 Double rooms approx £150 each inc meals £1950. Total £3950

25 train tickets at £100 each £2500.

Could have trained Friday morning, left midday and arrived Carlisle for dinner 7pm. Good kip and fresh ready to go.

Or get up early, drive to Euston, train journey and play.

No brainer really
Adrian

Keeper Coach wrote:[ Its worth pointing out that on Saturday most of the players left home before 7am had a pre match of British Rail sandwiches arrived less than 2 hours before KO and gave their all losing narrowly to one of the current form teams of the division. to
If they left home before 7am and arrived after 1pm then someone needs to sort out the travel a little better.

I used to travel up there pretty regularly for work.
I'd be on the 7:30 out of Euston and be at my client by 11:30, with a cab journey at that end.
I'd then manage to work until around 6pm. And I'd do a full day the next day and then be with the client until around 3pm on the third day before heading home.
I might get home by around 8pm.

Not sure how the players could possibly cope with their hellish journey though.
InTheKnow

Few innaccuracies

Firstly the players did not eat sandwiches on the train - they had soup which was arranged by the sport scientist James Russell (not normal soup)

The players and staff prefer to go by train - last seasons coach on Friday took 7 hours.

The players travelled on the 9.30 from Euston and it takes an hour for most of them to get there. Given it takes about an hour to get ready they would have got up at 7-7.30am.
Mike the Dagger

InTheKnow wrote:Few innaccuracies

Firstly the players did not eat sandwiches on the train - they had soup which was arranged by the sport scientist James Russell (not normal soup)

The players and staff prefer to go by train - last seasons coach on Friday took 7 hours.

The players travelled on the 9.30 from Euston and it takes an hour for most of them to get there. Given it takes about an hour to get ready they would have got up at 7-7.30am.
Sounds almost like a real job ;)
SUSSEX DAGGER

To pick one Player out on Saturday to me seems a little harsh. The previous two games we appeared to win as a team Saturday we lost as one.

On Saturday The winning goal was poor defending, the clearing header from Ayo went nowhere in the first instance and we should have done better from the resulting cross, to pick one player out is harsh in my opinion. If he was at any fault and looking at it again I don't think he was then he made amends because he made at least two saves later on that would have completely put us out the game.

If we are going to do that then we need to look at the failings of other players as well .

Before the first Goal Saturday Ashley Chambers had room on the right side of the box he crossed it and instead of hanging it up for Doidge or McClure to attack it went miles over everybody's head.

Ashley Hemmings completely air shot a decent cross when free and the goal in front of him.

Jodi Jones on at least three occasions got free on the right and his cross never beat the first man on each occasion.

Numerous times we also gave the ball away in advantageous positions, if we had done better in any of these situations we would have possibly got a result.

As for the travel arrangements I would have thought there was worse ways to get to Carlisle then in a First Class Virgin Rail Coach, even us slumming it in the poor seats did not find the journey from London that horrendous.

Saturday was just one of them days , despite not playing to our best we should not have lost which given the form of the opponents surely bodes well
for the future. There can not be any critical comments about attitude or effort and the result was unfortunate.

Big game Saturday to set our minds to, time to move on and put Saturday behind us.