Controversial but......

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
leewilson

does anybody feel a little sorry for Wayne?

I feel like despite some rough patches along the way, he's done bloody well to get us to mid table considering he's had to pretty much completely rebuild the side year in and year out. He inherited a god awful squad from Still. Over the summer he managed to add Murphy and Hines whilst clearing out a lot of deadwood and also bringing in some promising loanees in Norris and D'Ath. Midway through the season, Hines gets a potentially career threatening injury and Murphy is ruled out for months on end. We then start the next season without the two star signings. Don't get me wrong, he did bring in a few naff players but also bought Cureton, Cousins, Hemmings, Doidge etc. After a bad start, Obileye, Widdowson and Jakubiak arrived on loan. Murphy then gets sold halfway through the season and at the end of the season we lose Ogogo, Doe and Bingham. Howell was our fault so I won't count that in the argument.

After listening to the criticism that is shouted his way on the terraces, I just feel a little bit sorry for the bloke. We've lost so many key and good players over the last couple of years and yet we've finished 9th and 14th on similar points tallies. When we have clicked, we have played a very nice style of football as well. I doubt he's purposely brought us into this season short in CM. By the sounds of it, we are getting trumped by other clubs in our pursuit of players all the time.

We still have a very new squad and I'd just like to give him a bit of time to sort it all out really. There's obviously uncertainty around Jones and I'm sure Wayne also knows that we need a bit more in the middle of the pitch. I'm not sure if my faith is misplaced but I'm still confident we'll be alright this season. Let's face it, we all thought we were doomed in December last season. I feel like we may take a while but we do have the potential in the attacking third to cause teams problems once we stabilise in the centre of the pitch.

Just a ramble really but it was on my mind.
Diggerthedog

In some part yes but is other parts no. At the end of the day he knows the job and the budget it comes with so the buck stops with him if we are playing poorly. Accrington seem to be doing alright on an even smaller budget probably down to the fact they have a manager who knows how to play at this level with that budget.

I think the signing of Richards was a panic signing as we had no one in Midfield at the time, its no coincidence that he was part of the Cheltenham team that got relegated his first few games have been nothing short of appalling. We are three league games in and he already looks like a beaten man as do the players, the body language at half time was terrible. No fight and too much tippy tappy backwards rubbish.

Lets see where we are come Mid to late September then the moaning can really start.
dagger4eva

Nice post.

I see just where you're coming from and you do make some valid points, however, in response to the original question my answer is no.

Firstly, remember that him and his staff are PAID money - most of which people on this forum would like to be earning. He isn't doing us a favour running our team out the goodness of his heart.

Secondly the way our club has had to chop n change, sell players here & there, bring raw younger players in and through the ranks hasn't changed in all the time I've followed the club and Wayne as he repeatedly knew full well this was the case when he signed his 1st contract.

For every 1 decent player he's brought to the club I reckon there have been two duds.

He can't appear to handle ANY form of criticism.

Despite the much more direct style of football played under Stilly and Hill for that matter - I found that FAR more entertaining than anything served up by Wayne's teams. That includes during the miracle turnaround period during the 2nd half of last season.

He professes to like to keep the ball and yet STILL kick off after kick off we use the tried, tested and failed routine of lumping the ball up to the wing and usually out for a throw.

Anyway, I'm not hitting the panic button JUST yet. As bad as we were last night (aside from Jodi Jones) - we have now played 3 good and 1 half decent side so far. To have Nil points obviously isn't great. Lose the next 2 or 3 on the spin & I might have a different opinion.
PaulHornchurch

Last night was disappointing but not hitting the panic button yet. Orient and Portsmouth sitting 1st and 5th so have done okay in their two other games as well as beating us.

Last night I didn't see a lot wrong with our disallowed goal, and how many times do you get to see a corner retaken for ball outside the quadrant. Sums up the way it's going.

We still have 43 games to go. Ayo will help, he is proven for us at this level. We need Frankie back in the team, as our midfield isn't creating, Ferdinand is a big disappointment for me.

Let's have a look again at the end of September
Chigwellian

I also feel that the 'Daggers' feeling has been pulled out of the club. The players used to come round at the end of each match whether we had won, lost or drawn... Now they go into the centre, have the huddle and then walk off down the tunnel, only a few of them came and clapped us.
What is that all about? ... Most of the abuse from the crowd was aimed at WB, and not the players
BB-Dagger

I agree with most of the comments here, I also feel that the squad looks extremely unfit, as has been said "lets wait until mid / end September before starting the rants and raves, but even then what will that achieve? the board have just given him a new contract and wont be able to sack him or afford to pay him off!
one other point is the crowd around the drum on the sieve, why do they have to sing "we are ******** shit" all through the games? for gods sake lets get behind the team not get on their backs, it was only a bit funny once after the Portsmouth game! just my opinion
IanC

Yeah gotta say that singing was an absolute disgrace,if they don't like what they're seeing then bugger off and do us all a favour.
Alan

IanC wrote:Yeah gotta say that singing was an absolute disgrace,if they don't like what they're seeing then bugger off and do us all a favour.
Hear hear
ARNU

Im not on his case again yet.Its basically a whole new team so they need to gel.

However,He is still paying dearly for losing the dressing room in the past.None of that team that faced Wycombe that day are with us any longer and its a travesty that Bingham,Doe,Abs and Howell were allowed to leave without a fight to keep them.Chris Dickson will not go down as our best signing ever either although this Ferdinand joker is up there id say.He does need to bring in some half decent players soon though as clearly a fair few of the newbies are shite.Baucaud as captain is a mistake,give it to Jamie Cureton or even the keeper.

He hasn't got the staff so I guess we'll be better placed to judge him when hes bought in the 8 or 9 others we clearly need.

Id happily boot all these out from what ive seen so far.........

Ferdinand,Partridge,McClure,Nosworthy,Hines,Labadie,Connors,OBrien,Richards,Gayle,Chambers,Yusuff and Clevid Dick whatever his name is.

This lot WILL take us to the conference,mark my words.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Adrian

PaulHornchurch wrote:Last night I didn't see a lot wrong with our disallowed goal,
It was given as offside
Mikins

I'd say no. Other clubs in this league have smaller budgets, are in the arse end of nowhere or have rebuilt literally their entire squad + the subs bench, but its only us and Yeovil sitting on nil pois. Every season we start shit and every year we piss about either signing 15 strikers or in this year's case, no one. The man knew what we were losing, he knew what we needed to replace and didn't so I don't have any sympathy for him.

That said I think if we get Raymond back and maybe pluck another d'ath grade loan out of the air We'll survive again.
Sorry about your damn luck!
Adrian

dagger4eva wrote:Nice post.

I see just where you're coming from and you do make some valid points, however, in response to the original question my answer is no.

Firstly, remember that him and his staff are PAID money - most of which people on this forum would like to be earning. He isn't doing us a favour running our team out the goodness of his heart.

Secondly the way our club has had to chop n change, sell players here & there, bring raw younger players in and through the ranks hasn't changed in all the time I've followed the club and Wayne as he repeatedly knew full well this was the case when he signed his 1st contract.

For every 1 decent player he's brought to the club I reckon there have been two duds.

He can't appear to handle ANY form of criticism.

Despite the much more direct style of football played under Stilly and Hill for that matter - I found that FAR more entertaining than anything served up by Wayne's teams. That includes during the miracle turnaround period during the 2nd half of last season.

He professes to like to keep the ball and yet STILL kick off after kick off we use the tried, tested and failed routine of lumping the ball up to the wing and usually out for a throw.

Anyway, I'm not hitting the panic button JUST yet. As bad as we were last night (aside from Jodi Jones) - we have now played 3 good and 1 half decent side so far. To have Nil points obviously isn't great. Lose the next 2 or 3 on the spin & I might have a different opinion.
I agree with a lot of this. The league positions have been used a lot to defend Wayne, but the last couple of seasons seen some of the least entertaining games I've seen in over 20 years of watching us. I want to watch entertaining football and that hasn't happened much. There have been a couple of decent performances, but over more than two years that isn't enough, especially when the dull ones tend to be extra dull.

There are too many things that don't seem right to me around the treatment of players. Howell going feels an awful lot like Hoyte going last season to me, just without a mate of Waynes being lined up to replace him. Bingham being left out for a long time last season and then suddenly reappearing. Seabright not being offered anything other than pre-season training last season stunk of hedging our bets on him.

I think on the whole his signings have been more bad than good. Cureton is used as an example of a good signing but the original Wayne said we weren't trying to sign him. Signing Cureton isn't really a sign of a good manager - the only judgement it needed was on his fitness. Of the rest, Murphy and Hines were decent but didn't play that much. Cousins is decent but keepers that are competent at this level aren't that hard to find really. The rest I can't really be bothered to go into - it's just a whole load of average at best.
Lcbdagger

Certainly in the no camp... The passing between the back four, decision to get a non vocal captain listing the side, still can't defend set pieces or any kind of ball in to the box, the awful kick off routine, more CB signings when the.central midfield area is poor... Only going for a game after we fall two behind not one!
Daggyjack

ARNU wrote:Id happily boot all these out from what ive seen so far.........

Ferdinand,Partridge,McClure,Nosworthy,Hines,Labadie,Connors,OBrien,Richards,Gayle,Chambers,Yusuff and Clevid Dick whatever his name is.

This lot WILL take us to the conference,mark my words.
Clevid Dikamona has played twice for us, christ, give him a chance to get used to playing for the team before you write him off. The same can be said for Ferdinand and McClure.

Yusuff has been played only on and off since joining the club and forwards do need a run of games to build confidence, safe in the knowledge that they are not going to get dropped as soon as they miss a chance.

Richards, from what I remember on this forum during pre-season, was more or less described as our midfield saviour by a number of posters, so it didn't take people long to get on his case.
Mark

The dangers of rating people based on pre season. I seem to remember Tomlin having a good pre season and look how that ended up.