Bottom 8

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

Early days I know, but the current bottom 8 of League Two has a distinctly "Conference" feel about it.

Crawley
Accrington Stanley
Stevenage
Newport County
Yeovil Town
York City
Barnet
Dagenham & Redbridge

I wonder if this is the year that smaller budgets finally come home to roost?
stanton101

You can only get away with it for so long. While it's still very early days and the league won't start to settle down till the first 6 to 10 matches are done and dusted, I must admit from what I've seen so far it hasn't filled me with much optimism. It's not so much the losing that annoys me, it's the lack of heart that's been shown. That said, tonight's match should be a bit if a leveller, and hopefully our season starts tonight. Here's hoping. :)
SUSSEX DAGGER

Think the bottom of the table will be more competitive then the top Mike,

As much as I hate to admit it I would not be surprised if Portsmouth win it in a canter. They walked past us with ease first game so it kinda of came as a bit of a relief that despite making 5 changes they did an equally good job on a good Derby side days later.

The bigger budgets are obviously going to help and it would not surprise me if the top 7 are decided before the seasons end.

With two of the better teams out the way we will find out a lot about us over the next six weeks, we need a boost to give the whole place a lift and hopefully we are about to get one.

A lot will be decided on curcumstances ,anyone of them teams and a couple you have not included only need to hit an injury crisis and they could find themselves treading water just at the wrong time.

Always knew this was going to be a hard season, as I mentioned elsewhere the longest serving player on our books is Jack Connors, when was the last time we started a season with a team that fully contained players
who have only been here a year?

With long standing players like Scott Doe , Luke HOWELL, Billy Bingham and Abu Ogogo now gone is there enough about us and do we have The True Dagger spirit amongst our number.
Lcbdagger

We need to tighten up in midfield and stop making defensive mistakes and we may be ok... most of the other teams at the bottom will be confident of sneaking the odd lucky 1-1 draw or 1-0 win, perhaps with a set piece or dodgy penalty.

With us this won't be possible because we need 3 or 4 to win a game so we're not in a position to get a lucky deflected goal or penalty and come away with anything.

The most important thing for me today is how we cope if and when the opposition score... show a bit of heart even if we get held to a draw so that it gives fans confidence we can tough it out this season
rebeldagger

I do see your point, yet the season is barely two weeks old and we've played two of the better teams in the league. Yes our performance was lacking in both, yet with the summer we've had loosing our best players, it will take unfortunately time for the team to settle in.

We also had a game against higher opposition between those two so it may look much worse then it is, and I believe that is the case. From tonight and our next few games we can see where we stand. Depending on how things go between now and when transfer window shuts I think you'll find we'll be in a similar position to where we have been; that is lower mid table.

If we can keep Jones, and I hope to God we do, yet I see we seem to be very much a selling club, I think we'll be ok. We may need another central midfielder to sure it up as we're going miss to Luke Howell. He was so underrated and till this day I bemused as to why he'd taken a step down, perhaps it was for family reasons and if so I wish him the best.

Richards impressed me in the pre-season games, so I'm not too sure what has happened there, but I'm happy to give him his chance by the end of November we can see how he's fared.

Clinching Ayo till Jan (can we extend that please Wayne?) is a massive boost, we need a big lad in the back whom take command of the line and sort out our daft mistakes in the back.
Diggerthedog

rebeldagger wrote:I do see your point, yet the season is barely two weeks old and we've played two of the better teams in the league. Yes our performance was lacking in both, yet with the summer we've had loosing our best players, it will take unfortunately time for the team to settle in.

We also had a game against higher opposition between those two so it may look much worse then it is, and I believe that is the case. From tonight and our next few games we can see where we stand. Depending on how things go between now and when transfer window shuts I think you'll find we'll be in a similar position to where we have been; that is lower mid table.

If we can keep Jones, and I hope to God we do, yet I see we seem to be very much a selling club, I think we'll be ok. We may need another central midfielder to sure it up as we're going miss to Luke Howell. He was so underrated and till this day I bemused as to why he'd taken a step down, perhaps it was for family reasons and if so I wish him the best.

Richards impressed me in the pre-season games, so I'm not too sure what has happened there, but I'm happy to give him his chance by the end of November we can see how he's fared.

Clinching Ayo till Jan (can we extend that please Wayne?) is a massive boost, we need a big lad in the back whom take command of the line and sort out our daft mistakes in the back.

Howell left because he was offered a reduced contract. Just after having a baby, nice touch.
rebeldagger

Diggerthedog wrote:
Howell left because he was offered a reduced contract. Just after having a baby, nice touch.
I knew he had a young family, but didn't know we offered him a reduced contract. If that is the case then that is nothing more then a smack in the face. Thought we prided ourselves on being a family club, no?
Mike the Dagger

rebeldagger wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote:
I knew he had a young family, but didn't know we offered him a reduced contract. If that is the case then that is nothing more then a smack in the face. Thought we prided ourselves on being a family club, no?
I had heard this too so... Apparently we no longer look after our own. Lots of things are not right at the Daggers at the moment.
dagger4eva

Think you’ll find there’s more than meets the eye with the Luke Howell situation.

I gather it’s correct that he was offered a reduced contract. He then ALLEGEDLY asked for some time to think about & see what else was out. Having looked about for a short time he came back to agree to the new, worse terms and was swiftly told the offer had been withdrawn.

How the manager can then be “dismayed” at him leaving to join another club like Boreham Wood – leaves me… well… kinda dismayed
lupins

I have no idea what the facts are about any player that did or did not sign a new contract but what we do or do not offer is nothing about being a family club. It is the Managers responsibility to use the available budget wisely and as he sees fit. In the same way that a player is entitled to seek pastures new even if he has been well looked after by the Club then the reverse applies.
Adrian

lupins wrote:I have no idea what the facts are about any player that did or did not sign a new contract but what we do or do not offer is nothing about being a family club. It is the Managers responsibility to use the available budget wisely and as he sees fit. In the same way that a player is entitled to seek pastures new even if he has been well looked after by the Club then the reverse applies.
Of course it is. Being a family club is part of everything we do and that includes how we act when brining in players.
If we've withdrawn the offer as suggested then that will only reflect badly on us with other players. It may have even played a part in Doe going.

Sadly this club seems to be becoming less and less the club it once was.
davei

Have to totally agree with Adrian on this one.

Over the years I know that all of the clubs that amalgamated to become this club have helped current and former players as they have gone through one form of crisis or another which crisis has had nothing to do with events on the pitch.

I fully understand the nuances of running a sports franchise/business, but if this club has lost the ability/compassion/empathy to take those kinds of things in to consideration when dealing with individuals, well we may as well pack it in. Sometimes, actually most times, a good result off the pitch can mean waaay more than on the pitch.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Before feeding us bullshit, bullshit by the way we are paying for as the first place I heard the comment we did not want him to go was on Daggers Player.

Before making such statements you would have thought somebody would have done their homework .

The Lads Dad sat amongst us at most away games and interacted with a number of fans. Myself and a few supporters even had the pleasure of his company on the journey.

Oh by the way Ken sends his best wishes to all of you who made those away games and Luke's time at the Club so enjoyable.
Auntie Merge

+1 to Adrian's comments. A family club is a family club in all areas.
The way we conduct ourselves off the pitch reflects elsewhere. Not surprised the players seem so disinterested and don't feel Proud to be a Dagger.

The rot needs to stop.
ARNU

I Have to agree with Adrian here too.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !