Humble Pie

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Anyone like to join me in eating a massive slice of this?

I will wholeheartedly put my hands up and confess that despite my initial excitement at Wayne's appointment (end of season spell) I was a tad disullisioned when we decided to take him on full time as the 10 game end of season spell was in the main a huge disappointment.
I have never not stayed back to applaud the team after the final home game of the season but after that York game I couldnt get in the clubhouse quick enough after the final whistle.

And so on to now - and what a turnaround, getting or got rid of almost all the dead wood within the squad. Their is a youthfulness, an energy a team spirit and a real willingness to get this team playing fast, attractive, positive, enjoyable, WINNING brand of football.
We're no longer the absolute nice guys of the league and can mix it up with the rest as well as playing the football.

No more predictable kick off 'routines'

Seeing Lewington roll / throw the ball out to a player (when he has the opportunity to do so)

A defence up with there with anything in League 2 (although I still have kittens everytime we concede a set piece) - combined with a rejuvinated Femi bombing up and down the wing again.

The pace of the midfield combined with the calmness of a now very assured and constantly fit Billy Bingham

And a striker in Rhys Murphy that gets stuck in, prepared to ruffle feathers and actual ability to score goals.

It IS early days still granted and a long way to go. But with the relegation safety points tally being quickly accumulated I firmly believe that with this current team we do have a genuine chance of going up, even automatically.

So I take my proverbial hat off to Wayne & all his team because they frankly have reignited my enjoyment of coming to a Daggers game after the last 2-3 years of predictable dross.

Long may it continue!!
rechitski kinzhal

I am a man who is always right!!!!!!!
But I have to confess I am absolutely delighted to have been proved so utterly and completely wrong about Wayne Burnett.
To be honest the club were getting worse and worse during the days of Cusack and Chatty Man's dad, and I was very unhappy that Ted Hardy was brought back to the club ..... being manager for a second time just never works, does it!!!!!!!!!! But he steadied the ship, put the club back in a decent psosition and even took us to Wembley as a Ryman League club.
Next I was dismayed that the club ignored the interim manager who took us on a wonderful unbeaten run, and elected a debt collector who had never played higher than park football, but had some success with a couple of very low level non-league clubs. But Garry Hill brought us fantastic success, put the club on the map, as well as great cup runs, promotion to the Conference, and, according to most sensible football fans, the Conference Championship (Bostongate).
And after all that success I was really dismayed the next time, when they decided to reinstate John Still. As written earlier, we all know that appointing someone a second time never works, but somehow he took us from the success of Hill to even greater heights that we could not possibly have even dreamed of. Most of us never expected league football, and the idea of league 1 was just silly.
So when Still left and appointed Burnett, who didn't even achieve "dead cat bounce" I just sighed and thought "oh well, the board knew it couldn't last, most clubs like us last 5 years in the league, and have decided to plan for the future as, hopefully, a conference club, but more likely conference south". Well, fair enough, we all know it wouldn't last but what a journey it has been ....... now back to Tamworth and Forest Green.
Which brings us to now ...... on Saturday a 4-0 win for us, and 0-4 defeat by Oxford, plus a few other results going our way and we will be top ........ (it won't happen, but ...) we are in an astonishing position. We certainly haven't achieved anything with Wayne yet, but with the season a third of the way through this is certainly not "a few lucky results" ..... and anyway, it is not just the results, it is the football, it is the players.
I confess, I thought we would be relegated with about 10 points.
Wayne Burnett ....... my big apologies to you.
To the board ..... it just shows you have far more idea of what is going on than I (and many other fans).
And finally ....... maybe I am not always right!
dagger4eva

Not a dig at Vindelot (on this occasion) but anyone know what Burnett's win % is up to now after Saturday....... I can't be arsed to check
Dagger Steve

rechitski kinzhal wrote: To the board ..... it just shows you have far more idea of what is going on than I (and many other fans).
This is the best thing that's ever been said on this messageboard in the last 12 years.
ARNU

No pie for me this time just a grin like a Cheshire cat.

Femi,Medi,Burnett,no more hoof,no more plodding Arbers,Tb stand useage for Daggers,Doe sorting his life out, all the deadwood gone and a team with passion and flare.Im just a cheap roof away from Daggers Utopia.

Im not convinced about the board though....they've hit a rich vein of good luck at a cheap price that's all.When they let Zav,Murphy and Burnett go in January see what you think of them then.If they improve contracts and keep them all my as yet uneaten hat might get a munch out of it.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Masked Man

rechitski kinzhal wrote: I confess, I thought we would be relegated with about 10 points.
Wayne Burnett ....... my big apologies to you!
Guess I'll have a double serving of that Humble Pie we're dishing out!!
leewilson

Am I allowed to brag in here or is it too early? ;)
daggersjeff

Way too early......give em a chance to settle :D
Ilford Dagger

A third of the season gone & we already have half the points we got last year - a great effort so far, plus a couple of guys who can actually score on a semi regular basis, one of whom also assists regularly with good support from the midfield. Not bad for a small club??
davei

In reality, it still is early days yet, but it does seem the changes made have been for the better and certainly, there appears much more excitement at Victoria Road than in the past few seasons (with no disrespct to anyone). Considering all the stick I (and others) took from Vindelot, it saddens me he is not around to enjoy the success we are currently experiencing. Perhaps his shyness got the better of him.
SUSSEX DAGGER

davei wrote:In reality, it still is early days yet, but it does seem the changes made have been for the better and certainly, there appears much more excitement at Victoria Road than in the past few seasons (with no disrespct to anyone). Considering all the stick I (and others) took from Vindelot, it saddens me he is not around to enjoy the success we are currently experiencing. Perhaps his shyness got the better of him.
his around but in some other guise.

We need to get his deal extended there is a Club not far from here who will be looking for a Manager soon. A Club who claim not to have a pot to piss but with a wage bill that dwafs ours.
Chigwellian

Luton? [tongue in cheek]
Masked Man

Actually, I'm quite amazed at what a backtracking load of dogs we really are! Or should that be prepared to give things another go or admit where wrong?

As, all the way through Still's tenure there were some (even the week after promotion to League 1!!!) who were saying he was shit and had to go! Yet I've seen nobody on here saying this run is fluke and Burnett isn't good enough... Even Vindelot, who I'm sure is here under a new moniker, or at least spying!
Dagger83

Masked Man wrote:Even Vindelot, who I'm sure is here under a new moniker, or at least spying!
He is. He's made a post on the old forum referencing a post someone made on here.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Mikins

Oh i assume he's looking on and thinking "I still cant be arsed signing up to defend myself" either way I was prepared to give Wayne the benefit of the doubt and im more than happy that we havent suffered from losing our scouting network, but we've defied stillys old theory that we cant get in that many decent league players as no one would play for our wages. Saah and Zav beg to differ there. ^_^
Sorry about your damn luck!