Team selection

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mick

WB still doesn't know his best starting 11.

Where is the experience?
Where is the settled side?

Can't believe Cureton and Murphy both on the bench.

The players are just as confused as us.
PaulHornchurch

Was slightly baffled by today, but I guess Jamie and Rhys will start Tuesday and Saturday which he has prioritised.

But like Liverpool with their Real Madrid and Chelsea games.

I'll reserve judgement till 5pm Saturday
hockley dagger

Doe seems to be the scapegoat for the recent defensive performances. I wonder if he will be on his way?
Simmo

hockley dagger wrote:Doe seems to be the scapegoat for the recent defensive performances. I wonder if he will be on his way?
I was told today he has a knock
Richie

Simmo wrote:
hockley dagger wrote:Doe seems to be the scapegoat for the recent defensive performances. I wonder if he will be on his way?
I was told today he has a knock
Personally thought Partridge more than justified his inclusion
Adrian

We have an inexperienced left back that needs game time and hasn't done anything wrong in the last two games so gets dropped for a winger.
Surely one of Cureton or Murphy should be starting. We're not exactly in a comfortable midtable position.

We send Gayle out on loan and bring in an inexperienced defender to replace him. Doesn't feel like that strengthens the squad much.
matt_drfc

Adrian wrote:We have an inexperienced left back that needs game time and hasn't done anything wrong in the last two games so gets dropped for a winger.
Surely one of Cureton or Murphy should be starting. We're not exactly in a comfortable midtable position.

We send Gayle out on loan and bring in an inexperienced defender to replace him. Doesn't feel like that strengthens the squad much.
Not sure if you went but, Hemmings played well, so there's no need to complain about that, agree on the striker point and have you seen this loan signing? If you haven't, then you can't really say whether he will strengthen the squad or not. He's very tall and looks like he can handle himself, so I'm interested to see how he does.
Adrian

matt_drfc wrote:
Adrian wrote:We have an inexperienced left back that needs game time and hasn't done anything wrong in the last two games so gets dropped for a winger.

Not sure if you went but, Hemmings played well, so there's no need to complain about that, agree on the striker point and have you seen this loan signing? If you haven't, then you can't really say whether he will strengthen the squad or not. He's very tall and looks like he can handle himself, so I'm interested to see how he does.
No, I didn't go. I had other things to do.

I'm commenting on the general principles of dropping a left back that hasn't done anything to deserve being dropped for a winger. We get a player finding his feet and starting to build some form so drop him.
There's no stability, no consistency.

Of course I haven't seen the loanee play. Once it again though it feels like we're developing players for someone else rather than developing our own.
matt_drfc

Adrian wrote:
matt_drfc wrote:

No, I didn't go. I had other things to do.

I'm commenting on the general principles of dropping a left back that hasn't done anything to deserve being dropped for a winger. We get a player finding his feet and starting to build some form so drop him.
There's no stability, no consistency.

Of course I haven't seen the loanee play. Once it again though it feels like we're developing players for someone else rather than developing our own.
Clearly tactical, if it went tits up then fair enough, moan, but when it works like today, it's a good decision.. With players like Green it's surely about managing them correctly, e.g not making him play 90 minutes for 10 games in a row when he's not used to it.. And the loanee, if he benefits us and we happen to develop him in the process, who cares? Gayle clearly isn't up to the standard yet, needs consistent games, so surely going to St. Albans is perfect for him to gain more experience?
Adrian

matt_drfc wrote: Clearly tactical, if it went tits up then fair enough, moan, but when it works like today, it's a good decision.. With players like Green it's surely about managing them correctly, e.g not making him play 90 minutes for 10 games in a row when he's not used to it.. And the loanee, if he benefits us and we happen to develop him in the process, who cares? Gayle clearly isn't up to the standard yet, needs consistent games, so surely going to St. Albans is perfect for him to gain more experience?
We should only moan about things that don't make much sense to us if they don't work? That's an odd idea.
Green hasn't played close to 10 games of 90 minutes in a row. Football is a lot about form. When a player is showing some you make use of it, you don't drop them.

On your point about loanees, I care for one. The over reliance on loan players didn't help us much last year and may well have had a knock on effect to this year.
Gayle was doing pretty well last year. He made one mistake and got treated like utter shit by the manager.
DaggerSince92

Adrian, have a day off mate
matt_drfc

Adrian wrote:
matt_drfc wrote: Clearly tactical, if it went tits up then fair enough, moan, but when it works like today, it's a good decision.. With players like Green it's surely about managing them correctly, e.g not making him play 90 minutes for 10 games in a row when he's not used to it.. And the loanee, if he benefits us and we happen to develop him in the process, who cares? Gayle clearly isn't up to the standard yet, needs consistent games, so surely going to St. Albans is perfect for him to gain more experience?
We should only moan about things that don't make much sense to us if they don't work? That's an odd idea.
Green hasn't played close to 10 games of 90 minutes in a row. Football is a lot about form. When a player is showing some you make use of it, you don't drop them.

On your point about loanees, I care for one. The over reliance on loan players didn't help us much last year and may well have had a knock on effect to this year.
Gayle was doing pretty well last year. He made one mistake and got treated like utter shit by the manager.
No point debating this, if Wayne changes something and you don't like it, it's wrong, even if it works and you didn't actually see it. Personally wouldn't mind seeing him there again.

And we've had good loanees in the past, Ritchie and Baudry to name 2. This new guy looks like he could benefit us in both boxes, so why not give him a chance before writing him off? If Gayle gets a good amount of games under his belt, he can come back better, rather than just playing reserve games.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Nobody can argue that the punt.if that is what it was, came off with Hemmings and like you Matt think it is worth preserving with.

Nobody can be critical of the effort yesterday, when they scored I was fearing a battering but our defence coped very well with what is a very good strike force.

A partnership of JC and Murphy will score goals ,the quality of the service into them needs attention as the Wide men were a big disappointment.

They both worked their socks off but the final ball was often woefull.

A lot to like about yesterday continue in that vein and we will get out of our current mess I am certain.
leewilson

I would definitely say that Murphy deserves a start at home to Carlisle next week. It's only November but it has the feel of a big game to it.

I think reflecting on yesterday I would go:

-----------------Cousins

Batt---Partridge---Saah----Hemmings

---------Ogogo-----Bingham
--------------Chambers------------------

Murphy-------Cureton-------Porter

I'm a bit torn with the left side of the pitch. Yesterday seemed to work alright so I'd be happy to give it another go. In a home match, I'm not sure Green has enough going forward so the Hemmings/Porter experiment could have legs, especially considering how much Porter covers. I've kept the same back 4 for continuity even though Doe is our best defender.

My real changes come in that I like Chambers in the hole behind the striker and I don't think Howell has offered enough recently. Since we persist with this 4-3-3 and I want to include Murphy and Cureton, I'd have Murphy starting a little to the right although not wide right like the graphic suggests. Chambers and Ogogo can share the responsibility of covering this side defensively.
Richie

leewilson wrote:I would definitely say that Murphy deserves a start at home to Carlisle next week. It's only November but it has the feel of a big game to it.

I think reflecting on yesterday I would go:

-----------------Cousins

Batt---Partridge---Saah----Hemmings

---------Ogogo-----Bingham
--------------Chambers------------------

Murphy-------Cureton-------Porter

I'm a bit torn with the left side of the pitch. Yesterday seemed to work alright so I'd be happy to give it another go. In a home match, I'm not sure Green has enough going forward so the Hemmings/Porter experiment could have legs, especially considering how much Porter covers. I've kept the same back 4 for continuity even though Doe is our best defender.

My real changes come in that I like Chambers in the hole behind the striker and I don't think Howell has offered enough recently. Since we persist with this 4-3-3 and I want to include Murphy and Cureton, I'd have Murphy starting a little to the right although not wide right like the graphic suggests. Chambers and Ogogo can share the responsibility of covering this side defensively.
Would personally go 4-4-2 diamond with Bingham sitting, Ogogo/Howell in the 2 and then Labadie who has a goal and physical presence behind Murphy/Cureton