What do we want ?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Just reading thru recent posts and threads it’s struck me that some just want a club to watch, some want a club that competes ( me) some want success and medals ( I think we’d all be happy with that) and some want to moan and groan at everything and have totally unrealistic expectations and should really sod off and support Man City , go on their forum and moan about how guadiola doesn’t know what he’s doing as well.
Which one are you ?
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
daggerChris

Definitely one that wants us to compete. But doing so with a realistic approach. Wouldnt say no to a promotion but done the right way without risking the future of the club again
lupins

A competitive team, a Club growing in the right way, to continue to be owned by the current incumbents and more realism from supporters. Everything is possible given a fair wind but there are other bigger better backed teams saying the same.
And an FA Cup run, it's time
Adrian

It'd be nice to find some games enjoyable.

If you took the League 2 Play Off final as mid-point, I'd reckon that I saw a much higher proportion of games that were enjoyable to watch before it than I have since.
League 1 was ok, but the following seasons under Still and Burnett in League 2 were mostly hard to watch. The first season in the Conference had a few enjoyable games, when Whitely, Maguire-Drew and Fejiri were all flying and we had proper game plans.
Season after wasn't great and last season did nothing to make me regret not bothering with a season ticket.

Chuck in the pathetic infighting and desperate attempts by some of our supporters to seemingly sabotage the club it all just been a bit crap for too long.
Alan

I remember when we got promoted to league 1 telling my colleagues it was probably the worst thing that could happen as we would lose week in week out, get relegated and fans will get unrealistic expectations of the club, attendances would fall as a result and we’d end up in non-league. They thought I was mad.
TommyD&R

Alan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:42 pm I remember when we got promoted to league 1 telling my colleagues it was probably the worst thing that could happen as we would lose week in week out, get relegated and fans will get unrealistic expectations of the club, attendances would fall as a result and we’d end up in non-league. They thought I was mad.
We was very close to staying up though. Wouldn’t swap that season for anything though. Forget what happened afterwards, that season has some of my favourite memories supporting Dagenham along with the journey to actually get there.
Adrian

TommyD&R wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:52 am
Alan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:42 pm I remember when we got promoted to league 1 telling my colleagues it was probably the worst thing that could happen as we would lose week in week out, get relegated and fans will get unrealistic expectations of the club, attendances would fall as a result and we’d end up in non-league. They thought I was mad.
We was very close to staying up though. Wouldn’t swap that season for anything though. Forget what happened afterwards, that season has some of my favourite memories supporting Dagenham along with the journey to actually get there.
But we didn't stay up, and ultimately have been going backwards ever since.
How many games were really that enjoyable
How much if League 1 was really that different to what he'd done before?
We'd played quite a lot of the teams before in League 2 or the Conference.
Charlton, Southampton, Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday were the only really new ones.

Was it really worth what's happened since? I'm. It sure it was.
lupins

Yes it was worth it

If you don't strive to achieve what's the point

I wouldn't change any of those years or memories. We were always over achieving and it would always likely bottom out
leewilson

lupins wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:49 pm Yes it was worth it

If you don't strive to achieve what's the point

I wouldn't change any of those years or memories. We were always over achieving and it would always likely bottom out
Agreed. I loved the League 1 season. Despite not winning loads, we were very competitive and coming out of games after losing saw more a sense of pride than frustration.

Absolutely loved the home games against Southampton, Huddersfield Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday. The away games for the latter two were great fun as well. Possibly my favourite game of that season was the nuts 4-3 defeat away to Brighton where we just bloody went for it against an excellent side and gave them a right scare. I enjoyed the relegation battle in a perverse sort of way as well. We played well for most of that season and heartbreakingly, it was just the last 10 games where a lot of close games that didn't go our way which saw us get edged out. I'm sure the league table after 36 games was quite positive in our favour from memory.

If you offered me the chance to do it again, I would in a heartbeat. The alternative would have been to lose to Rotherham at Wembley and probably never managed to go up. Inevitably, I imagine we'd have fallen to a point close to this anyway as our better players would have left and who knows who Still would have brought in or how much longer he would have stayed in the job.