No plan B again

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

Burnett is tactically hopeless.

Took ages to make a change then changed players but kept the same shape.
The Romford Dagger

I thought we played quiete well. Just didn't want to shoot for some reason.
ARNU

Cureton was running rings round old fatty.Should have let him stay on till the end,he'd have got one eventually.Howell had a bit of a dodgy game other than that thought we did well.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Lcbdagger

Yussuf clearly has no future fir the story term here if he can't get on today when we are desperately crying out for someone to just come on, run at players and have a shot... How can a football league team be so reliant on a 40 year old to have almost no attacking threat for the last half hour of a game against ten men??
Richie

Cureton kept tackling himself when through on goal - VERY harsh to blame that on Wayne IMO. We played well, as Romford said on a different thread, was a good match, good night all in all.
bearaab

I heard Wayne took a load of hairdriers to the North Pole and global warming is all his fault.
Mike the Dagger

Richie wrote:Cureton kept tackling himself when through on goal - VERY harsh to blame that on Wayne IMO. We played well, as Romford said on a different thread, was a good match, good night all in all.
Undoubtedly Jamie could have, might have, should have scored, but he didn't. When he didn't what did the mm anger change and when?

He is clueless.

Did you notice we went from playing against 11 to playing against 10? What did he change?

Clueless!!!
dagger4eva

Played well enough and created enough chances to win two matches but as said, JC had a major off day in front of goal despite getting in the right positions.

Was majorly unimpressed with Luton and as it turnes out they were absolutely there for the taking.

Just watched the post match interciew with JS on youtube and he talks about how despite going down to 10 they stayed with 2 up top as they thought the game was still there to be won.
And that is my only criticism of the night that we didnt see fit to adopt the same attitude.

Still, a good point, a clean sheet, a CRACKING atmosphere and hope we can end our home season on a real high v Accy in a couple of weeks!!
NickMurphy

Can't really have too many complaints from tonight. Arguably we could have introduced Doidge as we were getting quite a bit of play down the right and the left which was very refreshing, but as others have said on another night Cureton scores a hat-trick and we're all chuffed to bits. Going back to that point though, I haven't seen us play all that much this season, but it's the first time in a long time that I can remember us seriously attempting to exploit the flanks and doing it to some relative success, even though if our players looked up a bit more it could have been even more devastating.

We might not have got the win, but it was enjoyable to watch tonight for me (Also very frustrating obviously), plenty of attacking threat albeit against 10 men and a game where I felt as though we tried to express ourselves a bit more, maybe not burdened by any pressure or anything like that. If we can continue to do that until the end of the season then I'd be quite happy. Individually I thought we were quite good tonight as well, Boucaud in the first half in particular impressed me, also Partridge looked decent enough, definitely one to build on and one I'd probably keep in the side until the end of the season if Abu's off (which I think we're all more or less resigned to). And if that is the case, then I'm a bit bemused as to why he's still being played in midfield, a position where we have a number of options, some younger ie Raymond that could really do with gametime who are more likely to be here next season. I could be wrong though, obviously.

Oh and Scott Doe, stay please. Absolutely solid and made McNulty look like an amateur.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Mike the Dagger wrote:Burnett is tactically hopeless.

Took ages to make a change then changed players but kept the same shape.
Oh FFS give it a rest we did not need to change anything because it was working. We created plenty just our golden boy had an off night .

Did you see the size of their squad, look what they had to select from and was it not their Manager who once gave an interview on Daggers Player saying he don't understand this nonsense of having a plan B and even asked Harry Rednapp at the time being touted the next England Manager did he understand what it meant.

We gave a good team a game and IMO matched them in most and was better in a few areas. It was only 4 months ago that they were running all over us and tonight was a marked improvement on that.

I know what Still would tell you if you don't like it don't come, words I once heard him use to a Supporter over over 20 years.

We'll done Wayne and the lads tonight good effort and you deserved more but it just did not happen for us. The sending off was a bit of a game changer IMO but I found it a very good and enjoyable nil nil and hats of to our opponents who despite being down to ten went for it. Given the circumstances if this game was six weeks ago we would have seen a very drab hour of football because the bad result for Luton tonight would have been a good one then.
Alan

Ok, let's be clear about this. The players put in a shift. We created some chances with lumps over the top and JC outpacing their centre backs. But we didn't create many chances from the possession we had in their half. We had many crossing positions, but only JC to cross to and two centre halves marking him. We passed it across the front of their defence all night without really threatening.

What I wanted to see, and I think what Mike is also saying, is a change to go 2 up with Yusuff or Doidge to support JC and to offer a target for those who were getting in to crossing positions.
daggersjeff

What was plan A???

We're at home, against a side pushing for promotion and needing the points and he sets up 4-5-1 (or 4-4-1-1 as it turned out).

Almost seemed like an old pals act to me!!

Think it would have been a different game playing against 11, but heigh-ho its another point gained in our battle for mid table mediocrity!! :roll:

And yes, you're right........ I would have taken this position 5 months ago!!
Mike the Dagger

OK, so now I'm not typing on a telephone, here is my more reasoned rant against last nights performance.

We were playing Luton at home, a team who have won once, since the start of March, a 1-0 win over the team that are now bottom of the league. We are safe, it's a no pressure game for us, a shot to nothing, a free swing, and there is a bit of needle in the game due to it being Still and the gang we are playing.

We start off fine, playing ok, making chances for Jamie who has McNulty, who looks like he is Jamie's dad, look like the roundabout that he is, but unfortunately it is one of those days for JC who looks like he is playing in two left boots. It's a decent game, pretty open, chances either way. Luke Howell, a central midfielder playing wide keeps drifting in an not giving us the width we need.

37 minutes in, Benno gets a red. Oh no, oppo down to ten, as we all know, our manager believes that is a dangerous situation. The game carries on with no tactical shift from us to half time. 0-0. Daggers massive favourites to win surely. The manager has tea with the boys and sorts out how we will play against the ten men... exactly the same lads, the ball over the top to JC will come off eventually, has to. Don't worry.

JC misses another couple of decent chances. It is definitely looking like one of those nights for him. Still no real width from Howell, and any crosses into the box are being dealt with by Wilko and McNulty, really all we have is the ball over the top. We reach the hour mark. We are at home, playing against ten, under no pressure, they need three points, we are safe as houses, its a shot to nothing, a free swing.

We have four attacking options on the bench, all of which are warming up wildly in from of the Marie Celeste waiting for the nod. There are boundless options here, they have no real attacking threat, our full backs are getting forward, but the only central target they have is a 5 foot 8 inch man in the land of the giants. It's screaming out for someone to go up alngside JC with a bit of height. What shall we do??

Lets's wait and see.

75 minutes and finally movement on the bench. No one is ready to go of course. shirts on, shin pads in. 78 minutes, here comes the tactical change, has to be Doidge or Yussef up with JC and possibly Jodi Jones out wide.

No... It's JC off, a 5 foot 9 inch loanee on in exactly the same spot (not one of ours to get some game time of course). At least we do put Jones on wide right and shift Howell inside. Same shape, same tactics, same lack of anyone to attack a cross against their slow but tall centre halves. Total one way traffic now, but no real chances being made, just a lot of shifting the ball around an no one getting a shot in, and crosses getting won by their defence.

We still have one more change left though, maybe chuck Yussef or Doidge on for the last five minutes? No, stick with what we have.

Game peters out at 0-0, happy days. Home point, clean sheet. handshakes all round.

IT IS SO BLOODY FRUSTRATING WATCHING BURNETT''S TEAM PLAY!!!!

No I don't have the correct FIFA badges, but I can see the blindingly obvious!
Last edited by Mike the Dagger on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masked Man

I don't understand why Jones isn't being started every game now to get him some proper experience.

I'd also understand if WB made some wild techincal experiments, knowing that we're safe.
lupins

I am not getting this plan B plea

Last night we were facing a team with two big lumps at the back who can both head a ball further than the Heathway. I saw a plan to try to get over the top of them bearing in mind the turning circle of them both. That seemed to work to me and if JC had had a better night would have been reflected in the score.
I actually enjoyed the game and I didn't think there were too many changes that would have improved us. Adding am extra forward would have narrowed it down the middle even more food and drink to both their centre halves probably quite literally in one case as he appeared to enjoy food